+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mmy2b View Post
    I'd use a wait and see approach!

I did this with my second as I didnt want to put to much stress on myself (DS1 was only 17months).

With DS1 he didnt have a dummy til 8 weeks and he still has it now at nearly 3. It is strictly for bed time and he just loves it so much...we talk to him about giving it up, but want him to do it in his own time (whenever that might be!)

DS2 I dont think we even lasted a week. He was a terribly unsettled baby that would refuse to feed if it hadnt been a full three hours so I couldnt even use booby to comfort him. Giving him the dummy was more a necessity as we had a 17month old and DS2 would just scream even when being held...He still has his dummy but is no where near as attached as DS1.

I dont see the problem with them? Im definitely a dummy mummmy~
    Thanks for that! Good to hear your experience! Really helps to read others point of views

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My 2 year olds still have dummies, they'll give them up when they are ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a dummy until I was 4! I remember it being a big deal to give it up... 
    They are better than thumbs though as you can always get rid of dummy when the time comes but thumbs are always there I had a friend who was still on her thumb at 10!

My dd has a dummy occasionally at night but luckily doesn't cry if it falls out. If it's making life easier I wouldn't worry too much 

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it possible to not use a dummy?

I am pregnant with my first and to try to avoid the weaning problem I would really like to go with a dummy straight up... I figured it's not a natural thing for a baby to have so why would they need one??

By the way don't get me wrong I have 2 dummy's set aside if I'm at my wits end and I don't judge people that use them at all I love giving my god son his as it makes him really happy ha ha.

My mum never used dummy's on us. And my sister had the worst time weaning her children.

Oh and I have a tip of finalizing the weaning process for an older child:
    I work in a toystore and I had a mother and daughter come in. The daughter picked the toy she really wanted to 'pay' for it she gave me a zip lock bag of dummies to throw out (and mum handed the cash over to lol) I thought it was the cutest thing ever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTashyAlice View Post

I am pregnant with my first and to try to avoid the weaning problem I would really like to go with a dummy straight up... I figured it's not a natural thing for a baby to have so why would they need one??

By the way don't get me wrong I have 2 dummy's set aside if I'm at my wits end and I don't judge people that use them at all I love giving my god son his as it makes him really happy ha ha.

My mum never used dummy's on us. And my sister had the worst time weaning her children.

I work in a toystore and I had a mother and daughter come in. The daughter picked the toy she really wanted to 'pay' for it she gave me a zip lock bag of dummies to throw out (and mum handed the cash over to lol) I thought it was the cutest thing ever!
    I was the same as you. Bought dummies just in case but was hoping to avoid using them.

My DS is now 21 months old and the dummies I bought are still in their packaging unopened. To be honest, I think I kind of forgot I had them! I don't think he ever really needed them. Having said that, he does suck his thumb when he goes to sleep but I don't see it as an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTashyAlice View Post

Sure is possible! I avoided them for the first 6 weeks because I was worried about it interfering with bfing. By the time we gave her one she didnt know what to do with it and wouldn't take it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Trio  (01-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You might find bub isn't isnt interested.. My DD (3), would not take a dummy. I tried for 6 months, never worked... This ended in me getting up to settle her at night (aside from feeding) instead of just being able to give back a dummy. Some people hate having to get up and give bub back the dummy, I would have been grateful if that was all I had to do ..

DS has one, he is 16 weeks. Took it straight up first time we offered, It's a great settling tool. We plan (obviously this may well change ) to take it away before 1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GLM View Post
    I'm just interested in others thoughts on dummy use.

I have a 19 month old who loves her dummy so much that she'd suck it on and off all day if I let her. (we aim to use it only at bedtime).

She was a very 'sucky' infant and the dummy was great for that reason. However, when it came to sleeping she would wake up after every sleep cycle and would only go back off with the dummy. At the stage when she couldn't put it in herself I was up doing it for her between 5-10 times a night! Of course this drove me mad but we got through it and now I'm quite happy to be able to offer her the dummy in the car if shes upset or simply for bedtime.

I'm pregnant now with our second bub and wondering should I use it again or not go down that road?

What have others found in your experiences??
    I don't like and didn't want my kids having dummys but ds1 used to suck his thumb from soon after birth and had reflux and colic so I offered him one but it was short lived, I refused to let him go to sleep with it though as I wasn't prepared to be going in through the night to put it back in, he didn't want it after a few months anyway which I was grateful for. Ds2 was a hand sucker so I offered him a dummy also when he was a few weeks old old but he didn't want it from day dot so that was the end of that before it started.
    After reading the sleep program I followed for ds2 I will def not offer one to our next child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never used a dummy on any of my three kids. It may have made it a bit harder to settle them at first but i'm glad i didn't have to wean them off it later!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbleK View Post
    Sure is possible! I avoided them for the first 6 weeks because I was worried about it interfering with bfing. By the time we gave her one she didnt know what to do with it and wouldn't take it.
    I was the same, worried about it interfering with bfing. Also I couldn't figure out when he was hungry or just wanted to suck, so nipple it was every time.