User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby spewing after breastfeeding

It started yesterday that whenever I feed baby, he would throw up all his milk. I was shocked when it happened because it looks to me like a bucket load of what he drank and it kinda went right across the room (ok, maybe not right across the room but it was like 30-50cm away from where he was).

I did burp him and for a few times, as he burps, he threw up his milk.
    Baby is also not spending as much time on feeding. He stops after about 7 minutes on one breast and refused to suck anymore

I have tried to keep baby upright for a longer period of time after feeding. Hopefully the milk will stay down but he still throws up his milk.

I am worried and not sure why this is happening.

Is it something I ate that made him sick?
    or he is not feeling well?

I don't find his behaviour abnormal, as compared to before the spewing and he does not seem to be in any discomfort or pain to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine started doing a similar thing. Nurse said it's possibly over supply. She gave me a few tips to try and they've worked for us.

* express a little before a feed (she said about 30ml, but I've been doing 20 when feeling full)
    * stagger feeds. 7 mins is fine, just have a break before offering more.
    * try feeding from a single breast with a break in the middle rather than one side and then the other.
    * feed on an incline to slow the flow - position bub upright as much as possible then lay back on about a 30 degree angle at least for the first few minutes.

I've been following all of these and we haven't had a spew in 2 days. Whether it is one thing or a combination though i don't know!

Hopefully there is something there that can help!

Sent from my non-iphone

3. The Following User Says Thank You to first|time|mum For This Useful Post:

del79  (16-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's good advice if it is oversupply, but some of that stuff will reduce your supply ( like block feeding) so if you don't have oversupply this may cause more issues. If you suspect a supply problem I'd get an accurate "diagnosis" before treating for oversupply. ABA can help you there. Phone 1800 mum 2 mum.
    About vomiting in bubs. I've been told if bubs doesn't seem distressed it's nothing to be too worried about. So if bub is acting normal afterwards then I wouldn't stress too much. With regard to shorter feeds. They get better at sucking as they grow hence feeds get shorter. How old is bub? Weather can also change feeds. Is it hot where you are?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Jasper puked after every feed & several times randomly, until 6 months old. And then occasionally until 12 months.

Everyone told me
    1) I was feeding him too much
    2) too often
    3) my milk was flowing too fast
    4) he needed formula
    5) he'd starve because he was throwing up so often he wasn't getting enough down
    6) he needed corn flour to keep milk down
    7) he was getting too much foremilk & not enough hindmilk
    8) he had reflux
    9) he was too active after feeds
    10) blahblahblahblahblahblahblah.

All that happened was he gained weight, was beautifully healthy, and smelled like spew for his first 6 months of life & I changed a lot if clothes & did a lot of washing.

If your concerned about bubs health maybe talk to a GP or Children's health nurse but it could just be 'normal'

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (24-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the smell of spew on Jayden but it looks horrible at the point when he threw up all the milk. I took him for weighing today and he gained 280 grams since last week. I guess he is healthy and nothing to worry about.

How do I know if baby is distress?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulululu View Post
    That's good advice if it is oversupply, but some of that stuff will reduce your supply ( like block feeding) so if you don't have oversupply this may cause more issues. If you suspect a supply problem I'd get an accurate "diagnosis" before treating for oversupply. ABA can help you there. Phone 1800 mum 2 mum.
    About vomiting in bubs. I've been told if bubs doesn't seem distressed it's nothing to be too worried about. So if bub is acting normal afterwards then I wouldn't stress too much. With regard to shorter feeds. They get better at sucking as they grow hence feeds get shorter. How old is bub? Weather can also change feeds. Is it hot where you are?
    Sorry, what is block feeding?

Baby is 6 weeks today. It is winter so it is kinda cold (12-18 degrees) in goldcoast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Block feeding is when you choose a certain amount of time (say 3 hours) and during that time only feed bub from the one side. So if they have a drink at 9 and then another at 11 instead of alternating sides you would put bub back on the same side they drank from first.

The ABA has articles on too much milk, not enough milk and lots of other topics http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/index.html

You can also ring their free helpline 1800 686 2 686
    Last edited by Bubbles10; 17-06-2011 at 06:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry del, as bubbles said block feeding is staying on the one
    breast rather than swapping sides. There are a few ways to do it. One is how del described. Another is to feed one side each feed. Another is to start on the same side for a longer period, like half a day or a day. My oversupply was quite bad and my memory was terrible in terms of which side I was up to so I fed from one side for a day. So Monday Wednesday and Friday I fed from the left breast, Tuesday Thursday and the weekend I fed from the right. Sometimes, like in the evening when he had a big feed he'd want both sides but I always started from the "breast of the day". My right breast seemed to have lower supply so it got four days and the left got three.
    After several months my supply seemed to have settled and bub was mostly having two sides so I stopped block feeding as I didn't want to further reduce my supply. I still had a generous supply so often feed only one side ( which is still like a type of block feeding but less severe) and gave alternate breast at each feed. As bubbles suggested ABA is a terrific resource. Give them a call and/or check out their website.
    With regard to being in distress after vomiting, bubs would be crying inconsolably. If bubs is able to be soothed with a cuddle/feed/dummy/whatever usually soothes him then he's not distressed. Often babies will vomit enormous amounts and appear quite content afterwards.
    At 6 weeks your supply is still establishing so a) I wouldn't worry too much and b) I wouldn't do anything too severe about reducing supply as your body and baby are still working it out. Expressing until letdown, feeding uphill, or simply having a towel handy to catch the spray when bubs pulls off might help for now. Good luck. Hope things are ok for you now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it projectile vomiting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No it's not projectile. Immediately after feeding, he would burp and then throw up the milk. Got him weigh this week and there was only 100grma weight gain. Should be at least 150grms.

I am quite worried but bb doesn't look distress. After throwing up, he would still want to feed more and then throw up and ten fall asleep.

He has only 1 big poo a day and 2-3 wet nappies. Is it normal? They used to be 3 poo a day at least . What should I do? Worried