+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Will breast milk go bad?

Today, I heated up a bottle of ebm that was in the freezer and it smells like fish!

It wa expressed last month and has been in the freezer since. I am nOt sure if the fish smell came from the salmon I ate last time before expressing or from the fridge.. ( no, I don't have a freezer full Of fish, just maybe 1 slice and it was kept far away from the ebm).

What does breast milk smells like if it goes bad?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure hun, bump

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Not sure what it smells like when it's bad, but I'm certain that it can go bad.

I *think* the guidelines are don't keep any longer than 2 weeks in a regular freeer and no more than 3 months in a deep freezer.

Never microwave to defrost- either leave it on the bench, in the fridge or if you're in a hurry stand in some hot water.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How did you heat it? The way to heat breast milk is to put the bottle or sachet (if it was in a storage bag in the freezer) in a bowl of hot water and slowly reheat it. Then you should just swirl it but never shake it as it ruins the long chain molecules.

But yes, I imagine that breast milk could go off if not frozen cold enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Here is some info on storing breastmilk

http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/express.html

Freshly expressed milk into a closed container can be stored the following ways:

ROOM TEMPERATURE
    6–8 hrs (26ºC or lower). If refrigeration is available store milk there

REFRIDGERATOR
    3–5 days (4ºC or lower) Store in back of refrigerator where it is coldest

FREEZER
    2 weeks in freezer compartment inside refrigerator.
    3 months in freezer section of refrigerator with separate door.
    6–12 months in deep freeze
    (-18ºC or lower).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think if it smells funny then don't use it.

But as to why it smells like fish - I've noticed that meat with freezer burn also smells/tastes like fish. I think that smell might be related to small chemicals containing nitrogen, which can be produced when proteins start falling apart for any reason.

Generally speaking, "off" milk means that something (bacteria) has grown in it caused the milk proteins to curdle. Human milk can definitely go off too.

So, although the fishy freezer milk might not have gone off as such, it is still possibly unpalatable and it might be slightly damaged.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm almost certain that I know what the issue is - too much or too active lipase. Lipase is the enzyme which breaks down fats, so when the EBM is sitting in the fridge/ freezer it breaks the milk fats down. If it has been stored correctly it is still safe to drink, but baby might refuse the milk because of the taste.

There is no way of rescuing already frozen milk (which is heartbreaking - I had to throw out over 3L of EBM) but if you scald the milk when you pump it, then freeze it, it deactivates the enzyme.

If you try scalding the milk (heat it in a saucepan on the stove until just boiling then stop and freeze) and then try it a day or two later and see if it smells ok.

I must run but more info here. http://www.lrc.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74370