Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our nephew (6 at the time) almost drowned on our wedding morning. There was loads of adults around but they thought he was just playing around under the water like the several other kids in the pool that morning. Then a cousin felt something wasn't right and jumped in fully clothed to grab him out. She got him in time. He'd been going to swimming lessons for close to 2 years 12 months prior to the incident too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I cannot tell this to ppl enough...most ppl think when someone is drowning they will splash about, WRONG it's very silent.
    My dh and ds 6 at the time we're swimming in a waterhole and dh took ds out on a sandbar which was deep but he was able to stand....then dh swam off and ds stepped off the sandbar and that was it...he was under and dh wouldn't have known had I not been standing there watching them...omg I screamed at dh to get ds. Dh, grrrrr I was so mad at him and I think he was in shock himself at how quick and silent it was. Thankfully ds was fine and is now 14 and loves swimming but he won't go out of his depth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Did you read the article? A high number of drownings occur while the parents are actual looking at the child, but not realising the child is actually drowning. The article is written to help explain to parents that drowning doesn't look like what you would expect.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yes I did read the article. And the impression I got was that the parents in question were too busy looking at themselves rather than their daughter. Too many people think just having adults in the vicinity is good enough. Ah no. You have to be actually eyeballing the kids and to be honest if you are doing this properly I can't believe you wouldn't be able to tell a child is in trouble. So I still think the message needs to be that parents need to actually pay proper attention rather than deflecting blame onto some wishy washy theory that "drowning isn't always obvious." Get off your I phones, put down your glass of wine, stop that in depth conversation with your friend, move a little closer to your kid and pay attention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well I guess the majority who read this will take the message it's trying to deliver...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yes I did read the article. And the impression I got was that the parents in question were too busy looking at themselves rather than their daughter. Too many people think just having adults in the vicinity is good enough. Ah no. You have to be actually eyeballing the kids and to be honest if you are doing this properly I can't believe you wouldn't be able to tell a child is in trouble. So I still think the message needs to be that parents need to actually pay proper attention rather than deflecting blame onto some wishy washy theory that "drowning isn't always obvious." Get off your I phones, put down your glass of wine, stop that in depth conversation with your friend, move a little closer to your kid and pay attention.

I think it's because sometimes, an adult is watching a few kids in the pool and if they are standing there scanning all the kids and they are looking for splashing/calling for help/movie-style drowning, then they are at risk of missing a drowning right in front if them, even though they are focused and watching.

Obviously, that's only one scenario and if the supervisor isn't focused, it's a moot point. But, I think it's like so many things, we need to be conscious of the dangers. Like "forgotten baby syndrome", being aware can save a life and being too cocky can be life-threatening.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678