+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Best Video baby monitor??

We want to get a baby monitor that does video too. What do you recommend?

We don't want a breathing/movement monitor as part of it, just one that transmits sounds made by bub (ideally with 3 sensitivity settings so we don't hear every little squeak and groan that newborns like to make) ... and video ... b&w ok.

Assume for arguments sake that cost isn't an issue (I have no idea how much they cost ...).

If you've set up a unique monitor (eg. your own video system, not a specific baby monitor) I'd love to hear your comments too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We bought a oricom secure 700 last month ($216) & thought it was pretty good until the parent unit stopped working a couple wks later but I think we were just unfortunate enough to get a faulty 1 as I know a couple of people who have it & haven't had a problem (does come with 3yr warranty at any rate). The store I bought from in Brisbane wasn't very helpful but I called oricom direct & they do have good customer service so we are trying to work it out. It has good night vision (room is fairly dark all day). The things which we don't really like about it are that they beep when you switch them on (both the base & parent unit), you can not mute the parent unit & the buttons for playing music are at the side of parent unit but guess you get used to avoiding them when holding it. Problem that we had towards the end is he would roll over just to look at the lights in the lens & the power led which I guess you'd get with any of them. Other thing is would be good if it lasted bit longer off the charger but I guess it would if he weren't so chatty. Perhaps try looking up opinions on product review websites if you don't have any luck on here. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just bought a Luvion Grand Elite from www.babymonitorsdirect.com.au

Apparently they are a top brand and I waited a while for them to get more stock as they are not available in many places in Aust.

I looked around allot and found YouTube great for looking at peoples reviews on monitors as you get to see them working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpop View Post
    We bought a oricom secure 700 last month ($216) & thought it was pretty good until the parent unit stopped working a couple wks later but I think we were just unfortunate enough to get a faulty 1 as I know a couple of people who have it & haven't had a problem (does come with 3yr warranty at any rate). The store I bought from in Brisbane wasn't very helpful but I called oricom direct & they do have good customer service so we are trying to work it out. It has good night vision (room is fairly dark all day). The things which we don't really like about it are that they beep when you switch them on (both the base & parent unit), you can not mute the parent unit & the buttons for playing music are at the side of parent unit but guess you get used to avoiding them when holding it. Problem that we had towards the end is he would roll over just to look at the lights in the lens & the power led which I guess you'd get with any of them. Other thing is would be good if it lasted bit longer off the charger but I guess it would if he weren't so chatty. Perhaps try looking up opinions on product review websites if you don't have any luck on here. Good luck
    Thanks! Definitely sounds like that is NOT the monitor for us. The beep alone is enough to rule it out - how stupid! It's the main one I see advertised, so I'm glad you let me know your experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoleE View Post
    I just bought a Luvion Grand Elite from www.babymonitorsdirect.com.au

Apparently they are a top brand and I waited a while for them to get more stock as they are not available in many places in Aust.

I looked around allot and found YouTube great for looking at peoples reviews on monitors as you get to see them working.
    And how do you like it? Is it worth the expense? Any issues?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I only got it 3 days ago and haven't used it as such yet, I have taken it out the box and turned it on etc. Looks pretty good I'm happy so far. Easy to use. I'm using it in our playroom so I can see what they are up to while I'm cooking dinner etc. I'm taking it away with me this weekend to to test it out in both day and night as if I like the night time camera I might buy an additional camera (it can have unto 4 I think) to put in DSs room as he is 18months and we are about to shop for a big bed for him and I think it would be handy.
    Can let you know next week how it went if you like

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have the oricom 700 and love it. The beep isn't an issue because we leave the camera on in his room and when we turn the parent unit on it is in the loungeroom or our room and he can't hear it from his room! It has excellent infra red night vision in a pitch black room and very clear sound and two way communication. I would highly recommend it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone.

A couple of logistical questions:
    1. Do the monitors have an option to be just sound instead of video + sound, so that you don't have the bright screen on in your room all night?
    2. Do any of the monitors have a sensitivity adjuster at the baby end? I don't want to hear every tiny sniffle as it will wake me up, eventhough bubs doesn't actually need me.
    3. Can you put the monitor in your pocket & carry it around or does that end up touching buttons/etc that you don't want to touch?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The oricom has a sensitivity adjustment that goes along with the voice activation. The screen only comes on when the baby makes noise and stays on for 5 or 10 seconds I think and has 5 sensitivity settings so it doesn't turn on at every sniffle. It also has a belt clip to carry it around with. You could put it in your pocket if you wanted it would be fine but the belt clip is much easier it just clips onto your waistband.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops double post