+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Giveitago has a baby :-) The Birth of A (long)

I wasn't lying when I said this was long. It's four thousandish words. Good luck. Don't say you weren't warned.

The birth of A
    AT HOME
    As those of you who know me are aware, to get to the birth of A was a long and heartbreaking journey. Multiple Miscarriages, an ovarian Ectopic, Toxoplasmosis, Cytomegalovirus and Glandular Fever all made for a long and emotional ride. But you can find all that in my TTC diary.
    Because of all this it took me a very long time to ‘get into’ my pregnancy. I was repeatedly asked if I was excited. I wasn’t really, I was scared witless. 12 weeks passed but that wasn’t enough to ease my mind. Movement was delayed due to an anterior placenta, so I didn’t have that for reassurance. It wasn’t until about 30 weeks that I finally accepted that we were going to actually have a baby this time. I didn’t buy one baby item until 30 weeks, I had learnt my lesson from previous times (and had a hidden box of baby goods from previous pregnancies, but no baby).
    My pregnancy was relatively easy with only Hip pain and third trimester swelling to complain about. I was never sick, there were never any concerns with the baby, and I only had a couple of tiny bouts of spotting to stress me out. All in all it was a great pregnancy. I was doing so well I worked fulltime up until 37 ½ weeks. The only reason I stopped then was because I wanted to ensure I had at least a little time to myself, as everyone was convinced id go early (I thought I’d go over). Those 3 weeks at home were BORING. The first few days were great, I relaxed, watched tv, watched movies, did morning tea with people etc. Then I got stuck into doing the house thoroughly room by room. Although we live in a decent sized 3 bedroom house, there is just no storage space, so I went through each room to see what could be thrown out or donated. I did a room a day, and that’s what kept me occupied for the rest of the time I was at home.
    I had no inklings of labour at all prior to A’s due date. Then at lunch time on her due date (23/02/2011) I had two mild contractions. I said to DP that we should just have something light for lunch in case something is happening. I had mild sporadic contractions for the rest of the afternoon. Went and did laps of the park. Lap after lap after lap after lap. As soon as the sun went down the contractions ramped up. Straight to 3 contractions in 12 minutes lasting 1 – 2 minutes. I told DP to go to bed so he was refreshed and ready for when we needed to go to hospital. I laboured all over the house, unable to really get comfortable. Twice through the night there was a fifteen minute break in contractions and I took 2 naps. At 6am I rang the birthing suite assuming that because they’d been consistent and strong all night, that they’d want me to come in. NOPE, I was told to come in when they were occurring 3 in ten minutes, and the pain was coming from the top of my tummy and down to my pelvis. I’d only had pain very very low down, it was like it was coming from under my belly (hard to explain). They told me it was pre-labour and to take panadol and go to sleep. SURE!!!! I took two panadol and laid down, one contraction later and I was up on my feet – lying down was not an option, it was way too painful. Sitting was painful also as I couldn’t handle any pressure on my bits. So I either sat right on the edge of the bed, or I was up leaning on things. When the sun came up the contractions tapered off. They were now down to one every 15 minutes and lasting about 90 seconds. This went on ALL. FREAKING. DAY. I laid down to rest but couldn’t sleep as I was trying to anticipate the next one so I could get myself standing before it hit. At lunch time I was laying on the bed and DP was just laying there staring at me. It was driving me nuts. We were both just waiting, waiting, waiting for something to happen. Him staring at me was becoming annoying and I felt like the watched pot that never boils. It was Thursday lunch time and I’d been awake since the previous morning, and had also had a horrid sleep the night before. I was already cruising on 4 hours sleep in 2 days, I was easily irritated. I pleaded with him to go to work, or the shops or to wash the car. Just go somewhere and stop staring at me. He said if he left and something happened I’d never forgive him…. I had to give him that one. So we got up and went for a walk around and around and around the park, to try and get things moving. Again nothing. And this was how we spent Thursday, either walking or sitting and having contractions every fifteen minutes all day long.
    I wanted something light for dinner in case labour was near (my biggest fear though was that pre-labour was going to go on for a week). So I just had chicken and sweet corn soup. As soon as the sun went down my contractions ramped up again. Straight back to 3 in 12 minutes lasting 60 – 100 seconds, I figured we were getting somewhere.DP supported me for a couple of hours, then I sent him to bed to rest. About 10.00pm I rang the hospital again to see what they wanted me to do, I’d been having contractions for 36 hours by this stage. Well 3 in 12 is NOT 3 in 10 and I was to stay home until they got to 3 in 10, or my waters broke. They suggested taking two panadeine forte and getting some sleep as this was obviously pre-labour and could last for another week (NOOOOOOOO). Well I didn’t have any panadeine forte, so I rang my mum who thankfully did have some, and she said she’d be right over. Once she got there I had a contraction, and she told me I need to relax, don’t tense up and breathe through them. SHH SHHS SHH STOP TALKING I grunted out. I’d been having contraction for ages, I was aware of what to do, I was tense because I was sitting on the side of the lounge trying to talk to her.. Thanks for the panadeine mum, now OUT. So slightly defeated I took my panadeine forte and tried to get into bed. Have you ever tried to sleep when every fibre in your body screams at you to STAND UP, STAND UP, STAND UP when you have a contraction? Needless to say sleep did not descend. But I had an idea! I placed all our pillows at the top of the bed, trailing up the wall. I then dragged over the bedside table and put it close to the side of the bed. I then sat right on the very very edge of the bed, so my bits weren’t actually on the bed, just the very back part of my bum was. I then wedged my knees up against the bedside table, and rested my head on the pillows that were now up the wall. It didn’t work. As soon as there was a contraction I had to sit upright or forward, I couldn’t rest through them.
    Frustrated to the absolute extreme I decided to get in the bath, unsure of whether it would help or not because effectively I’d be lying down and my body didn’t like that! So upstairs I went and jumped in a pretty hot, but not boiling bath. It took me about half an hour to get into a comfortable rhythm to try and manage the pain. Once a contraction would come I’d splash the water over my belly for the entire contraction and breathe through it. I’d top the hot water up every half an hour. I laboured like this on my own from 1am until 5am, monitoring the length and frequency of my contractions on my iphone. I was in a position where I could manage each contraction by the position I was in, with the water splashing and the breathing. Over the four hours I’d managed to get the procedure down pat. But now, now I was too scared to move an inch in case I screwed up my comfortable position, and I was getting cold! There was no way I could sit up and turn on that hot water anymore. So I started calling for DP - repeatedly. Nothing. So a bit louder - repeatedly. Still nothing. DP was downstairs in bed with the fan on in our room, he couldn’t hear anything. I called out for ten minutes to no avail. So I tried a new tactic. I started calling the dog J even she didn’t hear me. I started knocking on the wall, like I was knocking on a door. Well that sprung the old girl into action, and I could hear her get up, run to the front door and start barking! So I called her upstairs. Dogs sense when you’re in labour? Pfft not my dog. She was pi55ed, looking all cranky because she’d been woken from her sleep. Baby or no baby she was sleeping. So here I am at 5.15am pleading with the dog to go get Daddy. Nope. The dog decided to camp out with me and laid down on the bath matt and went to sleep………. Thankfully DP had stirred when the dog barked and responded to my next call. He came up and topped up my hot water and sat in the bathroom (with the dog still asleep on the floor) to keep me company. Another half an hour I decided I was over it, and dragged my large large belly up and out of the bath.
    Again sitting and putting any pressure down there was a nightmare, so I just sat on the toilet. There was so so much pressure down below that I’d do a teeny tiny push towards the end of each contraction, hoping my waters would break. It didn’t work. I laboured here for another hour. Then once the sun had been up for an hour or so the contractions dropped back to 1 in ten minutes. I was absolutely gutted. It was Friday morning, and I hadn’t slept since Tuesday night, I was exhausted. So I rang the hospital. They told me to stay home, contractions had dropped off, no point coming in, and again I was told this could go on for another week. DP walked in and I just started crying. I could not do this for another week. No chance, no way. The pain was manageable, after all it stopped after 90 seconds each time, the exhaustion not so much. I just wanted sleep. I decided to ring my OB at home on his mobile. He was eating breakfast, I apologised for disturbing him, to which he replied this was his job and not to worry, god bless him. I gave him the run down. Contractions since lunchtime Wednesday. No sleep since lunch time Wednesday, which was not even an hour. Each night contractions coming 3 in 12 minutes lasting 60 – 100 seconds, then tapering off to 1 every 10 minutes once the sun comes up. He agreed with the midwives and said it was prelabour L He asked what I wanted to do. I just wanted sleep. So he said if I come to the hospital he’ll do an internal, if I’m even 1cm dilated he’d break my waters, put up the drip and we’d be off. Or if there was no movement with my cervix then he’d give me some morphine which would allow me to sleep and then send me home once I was rested. Either option sounded great to me. I did a sneaky cervix check and figured that although my cervix was low and soft, it wasn’t dilated. Boo. But at least I’d be getting some Morphine induced sleep.
    DP and I even debated at this stage whether I should take the hospital bag, figuring I’d be sent home again in a few hours!
    So at 9.30am on Friday the 25th February we jumped in the car to make the 15minute drive to the Private hospital where we planned to have our baby. Traffic was fine, but all of a sudden my 1 in 10 cntractions turned into 6 blardy contractions on the trip there. So so so many different ways I could tell you how not fun that was! But once we got to the hospital, the dropped back to 1 in ten.
    Last edited by giveitago; 09-06-2011 at 06:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    AT HOSPITAL
    I waddled up to the Birthing Suite and told them I had spoken to someone earlier, spoken to my OB and was here to be monitored and an internal to see if any progress. They put me in a birthing suite and strapped me to the monitor. Contractions were registering 30. What The…..? I told her that I was having no pain up where the monitor was, and that the contraction was being felt under my stomach. She said it didn’t matter and that the monitor being up the top would be an accurate reading. This was yet another deflating moment; I knew how high contractions got in real labour. And 30 was nowhere near high enough. They rang my OB who said he’d be up soon, but it was looking like I’d be having some morphine and then going home. I felt a little judged. The nurses I believe thought that I was a sook and wasting their time and not even in real labour. I asked them to move the monitor to under my belly not on top to get a reading there, but she refused so they just left me to labour til my OB arrived. They weren’t rude, but the birthing suite was flat out, and I imagine, in their eyes, I was taking up a much needed room, and they could be helping a real labouring woman.
    About 10am my OB arrives and discusses the Morphine option, and says but we’ll just hope you are even 1cm then we can break your waters. He gets his gown on and the midwife comes in and he has a look… “OH, you are 5cm’s with waters bulging, good girl”. And then I started crying J I KNEW it wasn’t pre-labour. That monitor could have been registering my contractions at 1 for all I cared, I KNEW I was in labour. Things happen pretty quickly from there. I ask for them to call the anaesthetist as I wanted my EPI so I could rest. They say she has two other patients and then me. I ring my mum’s phone and speak to my sister (who also believes I’m in pre-labour). I tell her I’m 5cm’s and they are going to break my waters, but am cut off by her screaming at mum that I’m 5cm’s J and I hear mum in the background screaming that she’s on her way she’s on her way!
    As mum arrives another midwife i hadn’t met comes in to do my cannula. She did the worst job possible. So she gets the needle in my hand, but not in a vein. So instead of taking it out and trying again, she just leaves the needle in and starts moving it around in my hand trying to get the vein. Blood starts running out everywhere so she gives up. She thinks about making an attempt on the other hand, but then decides the anaesthetist should do it, I count my blessings! Next she decides to rig me up to do my vitals. So she goes to another room and gets the oxygen sats connection, and then tries multiple times to connect the oxygen sat cord into multiple incorrect holes. My mum had to connect the machine up properly for her!!!! Vitals all good.
    About 12pm we get ready for EPI. Anaesthetist comes in and introduces herself; she then tells me she will explain my options. I tell her she’s here to give me an Epi. She advises me that I can try a bath. I tell her I’ve been in the bath about twelve hours in the past 48 hours and I’m having an Epidural. She then advises me that I can try the gas. I tell her I’m having an Epidural. She then tells me that I can try Morphine. I calmly tell her that I have been awake since Wednesday, I am having an Epidural and then I am going to sleep. She finally accepts and starts to set up. So I’m leaning on the bed talking to the Anaesthetist when the stupid cannula nurse starts lowering the bed!!! I nearly lost balance and fell over!!!! Anaesthetist puts cannula in first go and then prepares for Epi. I get up on the bed and they make me practice sitting on the edge, feet on a chair curled up tight. Good ole cannula nurse comes and moves the chair that my feet are hooked through. This time I nearly fall off the bed. I look at my sweet, gentle mum and she looks like she’s ready to throttle the nurse!
    So Epi time….. She gives me the local and tells me I wont feel a thing. Inserts big needle. Um I can feel that. (yay me) Takes out the needle and gives me another dose of local. Try again. This time I can’t feel anything and she fiddles around while I sit curled in a ball gritting through contractions. I feel something thud in my back and ask her what that was. She gets a little flustered and says oh I hit your spine. WHAT!!!! Mum has a look behind me and is a little concerned with the amount of blood (my sister had no blood at all). So she cleans up and tries again. She is successful this time, and I try and get comfortable in bed and settle in to see if it will take full effect. After two top ups everything seems good and I have no feeling whatsoever, but still have complete control over my left leg, and a little over my right. So about 1.00pm the catheter is put in and we are told to rest up. Everyone leaves and DP and I are left to finally get some zzzz’s. My mum and sister pop in and out to see how I’m going. But other than that we are left in peace.
    MIL arrives at about 3.30pm. We invite her in and she sits and chats for a short while. The nurse arrives and says she is going to do a quick internal. At this stage I have no idea how to ask MIL to leave so it can be done privately, so I just let her stay. MW puts entire hand in there (DP later told me his jaw nearly hit the flaw) she touches some spot up to the left and I jump a mile. Apparently I have a bit of feeling in that one spot! MW declares I am 7.5cm’s with a anterior lip. She puts her hand back in to try and move the lip. HOLY CR@P that hurt, the lip was where I had feeling. That was the most painful thing to happen for my entire pregnancy, labour and birth! She seems to get the lip moved and asks me to give a little push to see. So I give a little push. Excellent she says, I’m fully dilated and can start pushing!!!! I scream at MIL to go get my mum and sister. My mum rushes in. I ask her where my sister is. She says oh theres no time don’t worry about her lol. I tell her to go and get my sister. (my sister is in the corridor feeding her 8 week old son, and starts looking for ANYONE she can give her baby too, thinking I’m about to pop). She rushes in with the baby too. OB comes in and he decides to investigate as well. Makes me do some practive pushes, then has a look. He tells us that we should have a baby in about an hour and a half. WHAT!!!! I squeal? my sister had her baby in three sets of pushes. He tells me that hardly ever happens. I point at my sister and declare ‘well it happened to her, and I was there to see it’. That put me in a bad headspace, and any mention of time was annoying me. They also declared I’d have a baby by the time the news started. Ah what news? The 4.30 news, the 5.00pm news the 6.00pm news???
    They decide to put the drip up as my contractions were still only measuring 30. And we began pushing. Mum, MIL and sister were all at the end of the bed huddled together trembling with anticipation and excitement. DP up by my side holding my hand. WONDEFUL MW and OB each had a leg. After about half an hour the OB told me I was pushing wrong, and tried to help me redirect where I was pushing. I was also exhaling and pushing, instead of holding my breath and pushing. (DP later tells me that it looks like I’m ‘fake’ pushing to start with. How on earth you ‘fake’ push is beyond me). The OB presses down on my perenium and I feel a tiny bit of sensation, and I direct my pushing where I can feel him pushing down. They ask if I want the mirror and I quickly say no. I watched my nieces head go up and down up and down, and I couldn’t handle the disappointment of seeing it slide back up! With each push as the head became visible, there’d be some little commotion from the peanut gallery. Ooh’s and ahh’s and squeals. Then the head would slide back up and there’d be a collective sigh of ‘ohhhhh’ go up. The sigh was killing me. I ended up snapping and told them all if they wanted to stay they had to shut up. DP quickly got onto them if the made any further noises. The OB asked the dr if he wanted to feel the head, to which he did (I was very proud). They asked me if I wanted to but I said no. My sister then piped up and said please, please touch the head, you cant go back and do this again, touch your babies head. I am very thankful for her pushes me, as now I cherish that I touched my babies head.
    No idea what the time is now but my sister is snapping away with the camera and I’m pushing, pushing, pushing. Dr takes a call from his wife, sends a text, we all have a joke and I’m pushing, breathing, panting. I notice the Dr do a little stealth move, and I realise he has the scissors. He then asked for some local. MW reminds him that I have an epi in and I take this as a sign that I’m close. I now follow his directions to breathe, pant, push, cough etc. I can’t feel anything down below, and go by his guidance. I push the head out and the peanut gallery starts bawling, mainly my sister. Dp has a tear and announces to everyone that “it” has my ear (I have a kink in my ear, as does my baby). We then wait for the next contraction to come. With the next big push my beautiful baby is born and I feel all her limbs slide out. She is quickly handed to me and I announce to the room that we have a little girl J The cord is left for a few minutes and then clamped by the OB and cut by DP. I have lots of cuddles with my little girl and put her on the breast. She has a suck for a few minutes and thencomes off and looks around the room. I give her over to meet her daddy while I deliver the placenta. It comes out simply with one push. I have a second degree pernieal tear and the Dr begins to stitch me up straight away.
    First call was to DP’s sister who was overseas to tell her she was an Aunty. Then I rang my grandparents to tell them they were Great-Grandparents again.
    Our little girl is weighed, measured and jabbed with vitamin k. Apgar 9 & 9.
    Our little girl arrived at 6.04pm
    Weighing 3,760 grams
    Measuring 53cm’s
    Head Circumference 34.5cm

I had some issues with slight prolapse and an unnoticed tear affecting me a fair bit. But my daughter is unbelieveable and an absolute joy. She is definitely my proudest achievement.
    There is so much more to the story but its already 4000 words and taken over 3 months to write!!! So I figure I’ll just leave it there. Wonder how many people got to the end!!!

ETA - my contractions never registered more than 30 on the monitor. Even with the Syntocin. So I don't know if the machine was faulty or if it was because all my pain was under my stomach, but my monitors were positioned up high? The only time it went up was when I was pushing.

Also I LOVED my birthing journey. Even the stupid nurse who seemed to have no idea what was going on! It all just contributes to my unique story. I never had a concrete plan, I knew my rights and knew how I wanted to handle certain things. 99% of the staff were amazing, and i appreciate all they did for me. I really wanted to attempt a natural birth, but after two days of contractions I would have paid five grand for my Epi :-) it sounds a bit comical in places but I truly loved my birthing experience. Afterall it's what led me to meet the most amazing little girl!
    Last edited by giveitago; 09-06-2011 at 06:44.

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to giveitago For This Useful Post:

Bandit  (17-06-2011),Clyon  (16-02-2015),deany  (27-06-2011),MagicMud  (10-06-2011),MamaC  (08-06-2011),mandmprincess  (10-06-2011),MrsTwith3  (08-06-2011),MyFourCubs  (08-06-2011),Preshy2008  (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    What a great story, had to quickly read it before i duck out to get my Dad from the airport What a brilliant story, you did so well being in labour for so long, congratulations on your new baby girl

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I got to the end and loved it! Well done and congratulations :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a great birth story, def worth the long read. You done awesome considering the no sleep and being in pain for days. Kudos to you. Well done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a lovely story!
    Congratulations on the birth of A, you worked hard to birth her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! you werent joking when u said it was long! great story with a very happy ending

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    well done hun

so happy for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a great story to read & a beautiful end result to what sounds like lots of heartache for you. Well done!

BTW, I heard today that apparently you can "fake" it.... my friend was asked to push & the MW gave her a look as if to say "what was that, a bit pathetic"

to which my friend responded, "sorry I am just so darn tired I faked that one!" *lol* who knew...

MrsTwith3 is offline Growing so fast...slow down already
    Thanks
    Reviews
    What a fantastic story. Thankyou for sharing it with us all.