+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mortifying toddler moment. Feel free to add your own.

My darling much loved little man (he turned 3 in March) embarrassed the heck out of me today at shopping. Totally oblivious to any mortification it would cause.

We were walking in out local shopping centre and next to us was a man and his mother. The man was on crutches and had had his foot amputated (I assume). Anyway, little mister decided to walk next to me, next to the man and say in a very loud voice "Mummy, that man has no foot." not once, but a few times. I told him (my son) that he was being rude but was informed that "it's not rude, the man has no foot". I tugged him along faster while explaining that the man probably hurt his foot very badly, but the whole time DS walked almost backwards saying "Mummy, he hasn't got a foot." I felt so bad, especially as i probably didn't handle it well but didn't know what else to do.

Does anyone else have any stories to share that may help me feel better? 5 hours later and I'm still embarrassed.

Sorry, I'm iPhone-lexic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Probably thanks to XH, whenever we walk past someone smoking, DS says very loudly so that everyone in ear shot can hear (including of course the smoker in question) "Yuck, let's run so we can get away from that smokey man/woman!"

I have never smoked, and I hate the smell too, but I've never seen a need to make a comment, I just keep walking and get out of the way of the smoke if I can. I find it so embarrassing when DS does this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LG View Post
    Probably thanks to XH, whenever we walk past someone smoking, DS says very loudly so that everyone in ear shot can hear (including of course the smoker in question) "Yuck, let's run so we can get away from that smokey man/woman!"

I have never smoked, and I hate the smell too, but I've never seen a need to make a comment, I just keep walking and get out of the way of the smoke if I can. I find it so embarrassing when DS does this!

DD does this!!

We went to a theme park and were in the line up. DP was holding DD and she said (very loudly) "that lady looks so ANGRY she must not like theme parks"
    I turned around and the lady was giving me a filthy looks. She would of been about 2 feet away!!
    We told DD to shush and not to stare at the lady but she pointed it out 2 more times before we managed to get inside!! ( " She still looks really angry mum!!! )

Then we walked past her later inside and kayla yelled out to her "hi" and waved!!!!!
    SOOOO EMBARRASSING
    Last edited by Bank; 07-06-2011 at 18:35.

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can I just say something? Please don't take this the wrong way but tbh I think that man would have been more uncomfortable with your reaction than your sons. Fact was.... He had no foot so acknowledge the fact. It's not anything bad or to be ashamed of. It's just happens sometimes.

My kids have made some comments over the past few years. One was about a little baby with a cleft plate. My DS was horrified but I simply explained it to him and made sure we finished on something positive (I think I was about the babies beautiful curls) the mother had overheard DS so I appologised to her for what he had said incase it had hurt her.
    Last edited by StretchmarkBarbie; 07-06-2011 at 18:37.

5. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to StretchmarkBarbie For This Useful Post:

Bernard.Manny.Fran  (07-06-2011),brogeybear  (12-06-2011),Bubbles10  (12-06-2011),callmedragon22  (10-11-2013),HugsBunny  (08-08-2013),LaDiDah  (09-08-2013),LoCo  (10-08-2013),Lulu56  (08-08-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (09-08-2013),mamoru  (12-06-2011),meeka2k  (11-11-2013),Merla  (07-06-2011),naebie  (18-06-2011),ontheway  (08-06-2011),peanutbutter&jelly  (07-06-2011),saxonrose  (09-08-2013),Sheer Bliss  (08-06-2011),shockinamillion  (08-06-2011),twotrunks  (08-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    i agree with smb but completely understand the moment of mortification.

My ds is too small for too many but staring at someones tattoo's on the train i just said to him 'look at those pretty colours'

DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    This did not happen to me personally but a friend of mine was in the shops with her 3 year old DD and they had just read a book on how things can be 'small like a mouse or big like a whale' .... you can probably guess where this is going. Her DD decided to point out over and over again that one of the women at the supermarket was 'big like a whale' and my friend could not get her to stop

DS and DD are yet to absolutely mortify me in public

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    i get loads of those questions and we see it all the time as we are near a nursing home and many head down to our local shopping centre.

i just let coop know that they really hurt theirs arms/legs or whatever he is asking about in terms he can understand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I honestly dont think the man would have been too fazed by your childs comment, he is only 3

When I was 3 I embarrassed my mum at the grocery shop. Was sitting in the trolley and a lady came up to me and said "Dont you have the most beautiful big brown eyes" and I turned around and said "Im not talking to you because you are too fat!" Needless to say mum was horrified and I got a smack on the bum. And the lady said "Oh dear dont worry, she was only telling the truth" LOL!!

Another time mum was on a bus with me (I was about 18 months) and she was heavily pregnant with a dress on. (Yall can all see where this is going)... sitting across from a man on the bus, I lift her dress right up and announce that my mummy has a baby under there.

I was a charming toddler lol

EquineMum is offline <---- Me, Him and The Bump 37wks
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS1 ( 2.5yo) announced to me quite loudly today whilst playing with the blocks at playgroup that he was going to build me something. The conversation went like this:

Him- "Mummy, I'm going to build you a great big C*CK!!"

Me - "PARDON?!?!"

Him - "I'm going to build you a GREAT BIG C*CK!!"

Me - (madly thinking where on EARTH has he learnt THAT from!? We don't swear or use that sort of language around littlies!!) - "Ummmmm.....oooookay...."

Him - "Like that one on the wall, Mummy!" (points to CLOCK!)

Me - "Oh! You mean a CLOCK!!" (laughing hysterically)

Him - "Yes, Mummy - a C*CK!!"

Someone PLEASE
    give me a corner to crawl into...or alternatively, could the ground please open up and swallow me whole?!?!
    Last edited by EquineMum; 07-06-2011 at 21:19.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EquineMum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (12-06-2011),HugsBunny  (08-08-2013),LoCo  (10-08-2013),Night Owl  (08-08-2013),peanutbutter&jelly  (07-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my ds#1 in the middle of the shops at the top of his lungs "EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW that man did a stinky fartttttttttttt" *points to man who was mortified*

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iMischa For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (12-06-2011),Night Owl  (08-08-2013),peanutbutter&jelly  (07-06-2011)