+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Food is always my biggest saver. I make more from scratch as it's heaps cheaper. Also chicken meals and meatless meals are great savers. I make lots of stews as well as you can buy cheaper cuts of meat. Make my own snacks and freeze them. I made some wholemeal pumpkin spinach and cream cheese scrolls last week and making some cheesy veggie muffins tomorrow (not to mention heaps healthy) oh and pop corn is the cheapest snack ever will try to make some muesli bars next week.

I also use a drying rack in DS's room next to the heater at night instead of a dryer if it's too wet or cold for washing to dry. Kills two birds with one stone DS stays warm and washing gets dry.

That's all I can think of for now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I cook up 2 big pots of vegetables once a fortnight and freeze them in portions for DS. Means Im not cooking up little portions every night for just the 2 of us and it removes the temptation of fast food. Also means Im not buying pre-packaged baby food anymore. Breakfast is toast or porriage with fruit (both cheap!). I shop fortnightly and then try to avoid the supermarket to stop 'little' top up shops that can cost over $50 a time. I cook pikelets, mini muffins and slices for snacks and freeze portions.
    When we have rain, I put our clothes thru dryer at the laundromat. Saves money on the electricity bill in the long term and you are paying up front. Usually costs me $1 a load and I take a weeks worth at once. My electricity bill for this quarter was only $120!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing :d

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shop monthly, and in bulk. Reduces the temptation to buy extras that are on special each week, or things that look yummy when you're hungry in the supermarket.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Living on a budget

I do a swap with a friend who helps me with housework or gardening and I make them a cake etc. Also the website freecycle is a fantastic way to get stuff, and often garage sales have wonderful well cared for children's toys.

We have friends in another state who club together to babysit and save heaps and the kids all play together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds silly but for the last few weeks I've used a smaller trolley while doing the grocery shopping. It stops me from putting in stuff that's not on my list (that I don't really need) cause it won't fit in the trolley! ...plus it's easier for me to get stuff out of the smaller ones with my big preggie belly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NannyJulie View Post
    It sounds silly but for the last few weeks I've used a smaller trolley while doing the grocery shopping. It stops me from putting in stuff that's not on my list (that I don't really need) cause it won't fit in the trolley! ...plus it's easier for me to get stuff out of the smaller ones with my big preggie belly
    That's a good idea. Like they say to eat off smaller plates if you want to lose weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meal planning is definitely high on my list. Like if I buy a lettuce, then I make sure we have hamburgers one night, tacos the next night and BBQ and salad another night, so the whole lettuce gets used. Otherwise I have to throw out nearly a whole lettuce which is a waste. Sure, it's only $4. But it's still $4.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We live on a very tight budget to pay off my student loans quickly (and we are only in Oz for a total of 18 months), so some of ours are a bit extreme for most people.

DH and I share a car that is paid for in full (and tiny)
    DH and I share a mobile phone
    We get the internet for free from our landlord
    We shop at Aldi & yes, meal planning is a must! (Always use a list)
    We buy cleaning supplies, toilet paper, etc. from the 2 dollar shops
    We use cloth wipes and nappies (We haven't had to buy anything for DD since she's been born)
    We live in a granny flat on the back of a friends property - cheapest rent in town!
    We only have free to air TV
    We get things second hand when possible
    We don't have a dryer, and wash only on cold
    We don't buy things we don't need, nor do we have any credit cards
    We take advantage of all the free things to do for entertainment in Canberra, which has kept us quite busy

Doing these things, we've paid $62,000 in two years on my student loan and saved $16,000 for a house. We live on about $1,500-$1,750/mo and everything else goes to saving and the loan.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ZumbaMumma For This Useful Post:

Crazyfamily  (02-01-2013)