+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ways to cut costs.

Inspired by another thread, thought I might start this. I would imagine something like this has been done before, but thought I'd give it a shot anyway.
    It appears so many people are living on very tight budgets...so I thought I might suggest a few ways to decrease spending and increasing savings...

Food and Groccery Shopping.
    • Meal plan. You don't have to do it day by day, but if u sit down and work out a rough meal plan for 7 main meals you wont be as tempted to buy impulsively or eat takeaway
    • write a list of everything you need from the shops and stick to it
    • utelises fruit and veg markets, often their produce is alot cheaper and generally fresher and tastes way better
    • Check prices.... did u know that the chicken breast you find already packaged in the cold meat section averages $14/kg, yet if you walked over to the deli, the chicken breasts there average $9.99/kg... that's a big difference. The same goes for things like, sliced cheese, bacon and cheerios.
    • buying pre bought sliced and diced meat is way more expensive then taking the extra 5 minutes to cut it up yourself
    • things like pikelets and scones are great instead of buying bread all the time, and very cheap to make
    • Tortilla chips are a much healthier option then potato chips, and easy and cheaper to make also.
    In and around the home
    • Definately take the time to look at cheaper electricity companies....and always ask for a discount....if u think ur getting ripped off, ring them and tell them ur going somewhere else, I bet they can help you out then!
    • If u have to use things like dryers and dishwashers, always try and do it during the non peak times, makes a big difference in costs
    • Turn everything off at the walls - I saved $120 on my bill doing this.
    Cooking
    • Use a slow cooker! I swear these things are god sends. You can do things from soups and stews, right through to even just putting some mince and a spaghetti sauce in their to cook at lunch time so its ready at dinner time.
    • Bulk things up with vegies. The other day I bought a Peanut Satay stir fry sauce, when I cooked it up I realised that there was no way it was going to feed the 4 of us, so I threw in some cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and green beans....and wella, we had leftovers!
    • Have a cheats meal....a meal that u have all the ingredients for all the time that u can through together at the drop of a hat.... mines a packet of curried chicken pasta mix, a tin of tuna and a cup of frozen mixed veg, in the microwave for 10 mins and wella!
    Feel free to add ur own money savings ideas to this thread as well, these a just a few of my gosspel rules! the ones I live by on a day to day basis.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mama2many For This Useful Post:

ComeBackKid  (03-06-2011),honeydew  (02-06-2011),Rutabaga  (21-02-2012),trishalishous  (06-03-2012)

greengables is offline love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.. love never fails.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I make my own 'margerine-type spread' out of a brick of butter and olive oil. I whiz it up using my stick mixer/bar mix until smooth, put in container in fridge. Takes 5 mins, Costs a lot less, you get a lot more and TASTES nice without chemicals and is great! My grandparents were so impressed they are now doing this!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greengables For This Useful Post:

Hydrangea  (25-10-2012),Mama2many  (02-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i thought i knew every saying tip in the book. But i never thought nd buying sliced tasty cheese ãt the deli! Does it really work out cheaper? I hate paying $10+ on 36 slices of cheese, i might check out the price in the deli! .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by travelmum View Post
    i thought i knew every saying tip in the book. But i never thought nd buying sliced tasty cheese ãt the deli! Does it really work out cheaper? I hate paying $10+ on 36 slices of cheese, i might check out the price in the deli! .
    Works out ALOT cheaper!! Last week we bought 10 slices of cheese from the deli...cost us $2.12 as opposed to $4ish for 12 prepackaged slices....
    Make sure you let me know how you go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A couple off the top of my head (apologies if they are obvious lol)
    - Wash in cold water only
    - Walk or ride a bicycle as much as possible
    - Join the library (ours has everything from magazines, to cds and dvds, jigsaw puzzles, and books (duh)

And the biggest one of all for me...

Learn to be content with what I *do* have

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Offspring

Not sure about other wollies but after 7 30pm any shaved cheese meat chicken is half priced great for next day lunches

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Omgshoes For This Useful Post:

Mama2many  (03-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump - I really need help saving costs at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I agree with cutting up your own meat. I rarely spend more than $4.99 a kilo. I buy whole rumps and cut them up into roasts, stir fries, casserole (diced meat), steak (both normal and 2 minute) and soon i will be able to make my own mince.

I find once a week/fortnight/month cooking saves a lot too. You buy all the veg at once and cook it the same day so there is no wastage. No need for take away, when you have already cooked meal at home that just needs reheating.

Cook from scratch

Use meal bulk-ers (eg tinned tomatoes, diced frozen veg, lentils, rice, pasta etc)

Cut your meat (Eg chicken breast, snags in a casserole, diced beef etc) as go further than a breast/thigh/steak/ snag each.

Use home brand for most things

Buy school treats chips, tiny teddies,yoghurts etc in the big pack and make smaller snack using zip lock bags/container etc

Make your own cookies, muffins, cakes etc for treats

popcorn is a great cheap treat (99cents bag last forever)

Jelly in a cup is another great cheap treat ( buy it in the bulk (2 kgs) catering bag and it even cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Cook from scratch. I did my fortnightly shop today and had to buy alot of stuff. I have bought so much of the stuff we need plus extra and some normal things and my shopping was still the same yet i will get so much more out of it than what i normally would.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Bubhub