+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Reading the above post about having an only child reminded me of something that was said to me regarding my eldest DD. She was an only child for 11 years before I had my DS.
    My uncle's wife ( I won't call her my aunt) used to go on, all the time about my DD being 'spoilt' because she was an only child at the time.

I said to uncle's Mrs "just because she is an only child doesn't necessarily mean she is spoilt!'. And she wasn't . I had to work full time when i was a single mum and my supposedly 'spoilt' DD never had a brand new school uniform (all second hand) and had to walk herself the 2 klms to and from school while I was at work. Now I remember back to it this woman really p!ssed me off.

There was no telling her that just because DD was an only child didn't mean she was a spoilt, overindulged brat. Some people are just thick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by xxkristyxx View Post
    I think the worst thing someone said to me was that my daughter is "cute.. But she's not beautiful".. That really upset me, because I think she's the most beautiful little girl I've ever seen (biasly though)..
    But still- u don't say that stuff to people!

OMG That is disgusting. I would have seriously slapped them . Seriously

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2plusbaby View Post
    Another was when Jakobi was around 3 or 4 yo he was throwing a tantrum because he wanted something in the shops and I had said no. It was a toy of some sort and it was nearing xmas, as a single mum at the time I had no chance of affording it anyway! A lady came up to me and asked if he was an only child, I replied yes, and she proceeded to lecture me on that being why he was a sh*t of a kid and always would be. Normally that wouldnt have upset me too much, however at the time I had not long been told that my chances of concieving and carrying another baby was less than 10%. I just burst out into tears and walked off. I heard her say to her husband as I walked away, "Hmmp some people just cant handle the truth, where is her mother to guide her."
    That reminded me of something someone said to my sister. Her DS was about 2 1/2 and this woman at the shops took it upon herself to tell my sis that she was selfish for not giving him a sibling. My sis had had 3 miscarriages trying to do just that! She was so upset, she left her trolley and went home. I wish I had of been there with her as I would have given that person a piece of my mind.

Another Christian woman told her that her lost babies would go to hell as they hadn't been baptised. I'm not sure I believe in God, but if he exists, and if he would let a little baby that never had a chance to be born go to hell because it couldn't be baptised, then he's not a very nice God!

As for me, probably the rudest thing ever said to me was by my own mother not a stranger. I told her I had lost 10kg, and she replied I still had 30 to go! Thanks for the support Mum. Not that I expected anything else, she also told my sister that she was disappointed when I got pregnant as she thought I was the only smart one (as my sisters had kids and I hadn't until then)!

So it just goes to show that some people should think before opening their mouths.

2plusbaby is offline <------ "Jellybean" at 12wks 5days
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brodiebunch View Post
    My worst one came from someone I regarded as my "best friend"
    I called her about 6 weeks ago to confide in her that I was 7 weeks pg. I have a son with an autism spectrum disorder, he has aspergers syndrome and it is believed to be linked to massive distress brfoe and during labour, I also have a " normal" dd.
    She said "I hope you terminate especially if it's a boy, it's child abuse bringing another autistic kid into this world"
    This reminded me of another one I got when we announced we were having a baby! My step son has aspergers syndrome. My MIL asked me if I had considered aborting as we wouldnt want to "risk *screws up her face* another one of *pause* those children." I was so upset she couldnt be happy for us, but made sure before she left that our chance was the same as everyone elses and regardless we would be keeping it and it would be perfect to us.

MIL always critised the fact I will be going back to work when baby is 8 weeks old and DP will be SAHD. She said to him I'm not a real mother and when was he going to find a real one. Needless to say I dont really speak to her unless there is no other option. Rude rude old fashioned b!tch.

bgbgbb is offline To think, I was only going to have 1 child!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Brodiebunch, your post reminded me of what a number of people said to me when I found out both my twins were boys. My eldest is also on the spectrum & a few people said what a shame the twins would be boys too. Fortunately it looks like both twins will not be on the spectrum, but if they were, then having a few more like my first would be wonderful as he is a fantastic boy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemma87 View Post
    i was at my local supermarket one night with my 3 yr old daughter, i was pregnant with DS1
    anyway my daughter had been playing up all night, doing things she wasnt ment, basically pushing my buttons as far as they could go. Anyway as we were walking out there was a set of atm's that have like the bars for where you line up anyway she ducked down and was walking on the other side of them, there were ppl trying to get to the atm's so i asked her to come back onto the right side... She wouldnt listen, i asked her 3 times... I grabbed her hand and so she ducked to come back under the bar BUT jumped up at the wrong time and banged her head on the bar (poor sausage). she was crying so i picked her up and was trying to settle her and a lady came up behind me and said " you might want to watch what your doing next time if it wasnt for you she wouldnt of bumped her head" i was mortified, my reply " maybe you should mind your own business, i would never hurt my child and was a simple accident if you had of seen the whole thing you would know, now dont but into where your not wanted" to which she said to me " you wouldnt want me to catch you treating any of your children in such manner again otherwise i will make it my business and get DOCS involved" i was just like pfffffft whatever lady mind your own buisness and walked away!!!

Anyway i could not believe that this lady thought i had intentionally hurt my child!!!
    My DD plays up alot when we are at the shops because she knows she can. I was walking with her one day and she was hassling me for stuff and i was getting more and more agitated (she uses the 'ill ask my daddy, hell get it for me' playing her dad and step mum off me and DH) she tried to drop my hand and run off, but i grabbed onto it a little tighter, she then started screaming 'ow your hurting me, let go mummy, stop hurting me' and twisting her arm around in my arm making it a little red. I had some lady come up to me and tell me that she was calling the police because i was abusing my daughter. DD then ran off and got knocked over by someone not paying attention to where they were going, bumped her head on the ground and starting crying (she got a bruise on her head) and i turned to the lady and told her that if she hadnt of being a nosy cow that my DD wouldnt have run off and hurt herself to f#ck off an mine her own business!

This reminded me of another one I got when we announced we were having a baby! My step son has aspergers syndrome. My MIL asked me if I had considered aborting as we wouldnt want to "risk *screws up her face* another one of *pause* those children." I was so upset she couldnt be happy for us, but made sure before she left that our chance was the same as everyone elses and regardless we would be keeping it and it would be perfect to us.

MIL always critised the fact I will be going back to work when baby is 8 weeks old and DP will be SAHD. She said to him I'm not a real mother and when was he going to find a real one. Needless to say I dont really speak to her unless there is no other option. Rude rude old fashioned b!tch.
    i have been a SAHM for 4 years, but my DD goes to her father 3 nights a fortnight an just recently i've started to do some casual work.. i keep being told that i'm not a real mum because i dont have DD with me 24/7 atm. um, no i don't but its good for her to be at school playing with her friends, seeing her father and seeing her mum work! grr. i hate arrogance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I simply can't believe the nerve of some people! A lady came up to me and asked if he was an only child, I replied yes, and she proceeded to lecture me on that being why he was a sh*t of a kid and always would be. Normally that wouldnt have upset me too much, however at the time I had not long been told that my chances of concieving and carrying another baby was less than 10%. I just burst out into tears and walked off. I heard her say to her husband as I walked away, "Hmmp some people just cant handle the truth, where is her mother to guide her."
    That reminds me of something said about me- I wasn't there, but my ex-boss (who was a total prick and made me cry before I quit) was talking to one of my other colleagues about it, feeling a bit guilty about being such an a$$hole apparently, as he'd just become aware that I had left my partner and wasn't having the easiest time being a young mum with a toddler. So he says to my friend & colleague, "She obviously needs some help, where is her mother??"

Well, she's been dead for 15 years you pr!ck and if you had ever bothered to talk to your staff like actual people you would know that.

I've also had the whole "What a disappointment, we always expected she would be the one to make something of herself" type comments from my own father and grandmother, simply because I had a child at 21. Um, a) it's not that young, b) even if it was, it's not a life sentence to poverty and there are plenty of pathways to further education available should I choose to take them, c) it's not an indication that all I want out of life is to sit at home on Centrelink, it indicates that I want to nurture my own children and it's a great shame that you are choosing not to be a part of their lives.

Why people can't be more supportive just baffles me. Perhaps if family and society gave young mothers a break their morale would be a little higher and they wouldn't face the struggles that so many do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    These are all just awful! People can be so unbelievably rude.

I don't have kids yet so one of the rudest things anyone has said to me recently is (from a girl I went to school with and her husband. They have two kids, and I was seeing them for the first time since having them); "So you don't have kids yet? And you're HOW old? I don't know how you do it. Life just isn't meaningful without kids."

Meanwhile I am TTC and failing every month. Cheers for that.

The other thing was when I was about 14, and I had just started working at the local woolies. A middle aged man told me my Mum should have just had an abortion, because I couldn't figure out how to process his transaction.

Then when I was about 19 (and still working at Woolies) there was another guy who came through my register with a little girl who would have been about 4 or 5. I love kids, so I immediately start chatting to her, and I ask her what she wants to be when she grows up. She says she wants to work in a shop like me. Her Dad looks mortified and says; "No sweetie. You won't work in a shop like this. Jobs in shops are for people that aren't very clever ... and you're a very clever little girl".

I ignored him and said to the little girl; "Working here is fun and I do it to pay for me to go to big people school. When I'm finished going to school, I'm going to be a doctor".

The look on the Dad's face was priceless!

I'm always SUPER nice to the checkout people whenever we go shopping now! They put up with so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thekittysmum View Post
    ignored him and said to the little girl; "Working here is fun and I do it to pay for me to go to big people school. When I'm finished going to school, I'm going to be a doctor".

The look on the Dad's face was priceless!
    Awesome comeback!

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thekittysmum View Post
    I'm always SUPER nice to the checkout people whenever we go shopping now! They put up with so much!
    I so get and agree with this. And I love your reply to the Dad (via his daughter).

I use to work at Bunnings. Some of the sh!t I use to put up with from blokes was appalling. Most of the tradies were nice. It was generally your weekend DIY person who liked to think they knew way more than a female. Admittedly some did but I did and still do know a fair bit about a variety of things. Gardening was out of my league but tools, builders hardware, indoor and outdoor timber I can do. They don't let morons (generally) be in charge of hire shop on three weeknights and run hireshop and service desk on the weekends (sorry, bit of a vent).

Sorry, I'm iPhone-lexic