+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Being young (relatively, I am 28) and having 5 children - including a 9 year old I am always asked if my children have the same father (for the record, they do). I then get asked if I am married (no, but live in a marriage-like relationship). I then get asked (usually) if I chose to have so many kids for the extra, additional financial benefits. When I tell look horrified and say no they usually then ask me "why did you have so many kids then"......hmmm yes, because having kids because you enjoy being a parent is not a valid idea obviously

I also sometimes get asked how many of my children were "mistakes" etc. I tell them I had 3 surprises ....but NO mistakes

Oh and about 3 weeks ago I was asked if my son (almost 4) was a "retardo"......hmmmmm last time I checked, no! He does have autism and is clearly disabled but he does not have "mental retardation" which is what I am assuming is meant but the rather rude reference to "retardo". I just got angry and walked away before I did something that would have landed me in jail! Some people - sheesh!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ConfettiGirl For This Useful Post:

mad house mumma  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ConfettiGirl View Post
    Oh and about 3 weeks ago I was asked if my son (almost 4) was a "retardo"......hmmmmm last time I checked, no! He does have autism and is clearly disabled but he does not have "mental retardation" which is what I am assuming is meant but the rather rude reference to "retardo". I just got angry and walked away before I did something that would have landed me in jail! Some people - sheesh!
    This reminds me of DS2s first outing, i had a lady ask me questions about him, "how big was he?", "9pd9.5oz", "how old is he?" "4days", "is he normal?"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Neither of these were strangers but:

When I had my mc this girl (8yrs younger than me & had just found out she was pg herself) said "well obviously YOU are not ready to be a mother yet"... Oh yes, I keep forgetting how much more mature than me you are!

And when I was quite huge while pg with DS (who was conceived 2mths after my mc) my Neighbour said "oh well when you miscarried you were probably carrying twins & only one died so you're that big cause you're 2mths further than you thought!"

In fact the number of ppl who said my OB must be mistaken & that I had 2 or 3 in there... why don't you just call me ten tone tessie!

I also had a family member ask "when are you having another one?" followed by "are you going to try harder to breastfeed the next one?" (i wasn't able to bf DS for many reasons and she knew how upset I was about it)... how I didn't smack her out is beyond me!

***How's my spelling? Call 1800 iPhone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am amazed at what people have had said too them!!!
    I have never had anything like that happen to me......

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little story is NOTHING compared to all of yours, mine is just disturbing..
    While kneeling at work an older man came up and said to my male coworker "I like a woman on her knees" referring to bl0wj0bs... Ick

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cant get over how rude some people are!!!!!!
    If any of these things were said to me, I'd be doing some serious **** kicking no one has the right to make others feel bad!

Whilst still in hospital after just having my little girl I had a very old school midwife. Anyways some friends were visiting and I can't remember how it came up but this middie said to me "oh u were obviously overweight before u had Bub!" haha rude old b1tch, she wasn't bloody Cindy Crawford herself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pajamarama View Post
    Neither of these were strangers but:

When I had my mc this girl (8yrs younger than me & had just found out she was pg herself) said "well obviously YOU are not ready to be a mother yet"... Oh yes, I keep forgetting how much more mature than me you are!

And when I was quite huge while pg with DS (who was conceived 2mths after my mc) my Neighbour said "oh well when you miscarried you were probably carrying twins & only one died so you're that big cause you're 2mths further than you thought!"

In fact the number of ppl who said my OB must be mistaken & that I had 2 or 3 in there... why don't you just call me ten tone tessie!

I also had a family member ask "when are you having another one?" followed by "are you going to try harder to breastfeed the next one?" (i wasn't able to bf DS for many reasons and she knew how upset I was about it)... how I didn't smack her out is beyond me!

***How's my spelling? Call 1800 iPhone***
    I had polyhydramnious with my 4th and 5th children (excess amniotic fluid) so I was really, really big. I ended up giving birth at 30w and 31w because my uterus (on both occasions) was measuring at around the 50w mark (and yes, a pregnancy lasts 40w so I was measuring 10cm's more at 28 weeks than the average full-term uterus). I would get a lot of those types of responses. People would keep asking me if I was SURE I was only having one. Yes, I was pretty sure, I had something like 10 u/s scans during the pregnancy to monitor the fluid. I even had the fluid drained off at about 27 weeks and they took nearly 1.5 litres and a week later all that fluid came back. I looked ridiculous and felt really self-concious about the size of my belly. It wasn't soft either, it stuck straight out and ended in a point so it looked even bigger than if it was distributed all around my middle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mil takes the cake for the rudest thing said to me.
    Family picnic we tell dh parents we are expecting our very first baby and she very rudely says to me that she is to young to be a grandmother and starts to cry because she feels way to young for grandkids.
    7 years later and now a total of 3 grandkids she still feels that way but it is her issue and her missing out on 3 beautiful children.
    Oh sorry just realised you said stranger- well these days she is a stranger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My family and friends would never DARE say anything judgemental about my parenting, they know I can defend myself pretty well if called for. Hahaha. The one exception would be after my miscarriage, a friend said "oh well, plenty of time to try again". Nice, thanks! But I wasn't too upset because she just didn't understand or know what to say.

When I was pregnant, a male colleague (mere aquaintance) was making pleasant small talk with me about when I was due etc. And then said "How much weight have you put on? Cause you look kinda... *puffs his cheeks out and puts his hands up either side of his face to indicate "bloated/fat"*!! I think I just stared at him with my mouth open!

Gosh I would have loved to have had the presence of mind to use Carrie's comeback from Sex and the City - "what's your excuse... you having twins?!" Teeheehee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think a stranger has said anything to me ever, not any I can recall. I must look scary or something. MIL did ask when we had DD "Don't you two use protection?". Which really annoyed me. We had been married for 4 years and I was 29 and DH 31 so I don't know what her problem was. So she doesn't know I'm pregnant and I'm 28 weeks this week. I've made it quite clear she isn't to know until bub is born. Good thing she lives in a different state and I only have to see her a few times a year.