+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Widget - do you need any suggestions for doing the party stuff cheaper?
    My lot do quite a lot of themed parties and we're getting better at making it cheaper

Thanks
    Reviews
    What are you planning to do?
    I know you said Dora, but do you have anything in particular that you want to achieve/play/do etc?
    Oh and how old and how many kids?

So far we've done under the sea, fairy, Hannah montanna for kids and many many themes for the adults

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    Well, after a really CRAP day yesterday (perhaps a mini anxiety attack? Which than boiled over into everything else), I'm to report that I just paid just over $2,000 off my credit card! It's down to $2,500! Very pleased with that effort. I did I do this, I hear you ask? Well, I transferred 95% of my savings, got the max FTB advance and saved on uni text books that I had previously bought second hand. I'm now contemplating whether I should reduce the limit or keep it as is. I will more than likely keep the credit card at around a similar limit to help fund our round Aus trip in 18months time- what do you think?
    No pay the cc off completely, close your account and cut it up.That's what i did.Best decision i ever made.Get yourself a debit card,that way you are only ever spending your own money.

Credit cards for most, not all people just lure you to spend money you don't have..JMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Widget - i reckon we can come up with some good savings ideas for the party!

the biggest thing i have found is not overcatering.
    Cupcakes are often good for little kids, but when you make a batch, only ice and send as many as there are kids, and since you have both daycare and intervention, you may get away with only one batch.
    if you really want to do a cake, Micheals patisserie have samll yummo cakes for $10, plenty for 7-10 kids.
    To make it dora, you can buy a little doll to put on top, or a rice paper image ( Micheal's sell these too i think), or woolworths also make image topped cakes.
    This of course depends on food allergies.

Dora colours are pink and orange? go with the base colours for plates etc so you dont have to buy logo'd items which cost more.
    if you have time and want logo'd items checkout ebay ( though if its this weekend it might be too close!)

for entertainment, pop a Dora dvd on ( hire one from the video store if youdont have one already - that way you dont need to buy one.
    If your bub has a dora backpack already use that with a rolled up "map" for decoration, if not just use a normal back pack.
    You can also print out (free) dora piccy's for the kids to colour - depending on how your kids cope with games you may want to avoid pass parcel ( we have issues if they're too young) and games like that.
    You could do a backyard obstacle course - have a map with basic instructions - youknow the way dora does on her show, and then the kids can expend some energy.
    another good idea is a cupcake decorating activity, you ice them in childs perferred colour and the put on sprinkles or whatever little icing items you pick up.

food wise, maybe do sugar cookies iced in pink and orange,( i have a brilliant reciepe for this) write a "D" on them for extra if you want. For the parties we've had, the kids dont eat much fancy stuff, make some fairy bread, sandwhiches, have some apples, juice maybe sme chippies but thats what gets eaten most and first at our house.
    if you dont want to make too many things, check out if yo ucan get some dora cookies or some such.

Check out Crazy clarks for bold coloured plates etc, and balloons too.

for loot bags ( if you want to do them), i go to the cheapie store and get a few items rather than lollies - lollies are cheaper but depends on whatyouwant to do.
    i get mini tiaras, bubbles, mini cards, glasses, mini dinosaurs, mini cars etc and just make them up - i did go male/female specific but you dont need to.

Does that give you any ideas?

anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awesome ideas there Chubear. Def go the base colour theme- I actually find this looks better than the logo decos anyway! Plus- any left over stuff can be put away for future parties. We're still yet to have a 'everything party'.

Food- little boys are cheap, easy to do and the kids love them! Esp in this weather. Fairy bread is always a goer- even for the grown ups! Arrowroot biscuits with icing on them are a winner also. Choc Crackles and Honey Joys (recipes are often found on the side of the Rice Bubbles and Cornflakes boxes).

Games- if you've got the room, get some flying balloons. They are long- you blow them up with a pump, give them to the kids- they let go of them and they fly! They can be reused until they pop. They cost about $2 for a bag of 8-10 and you can get them from the reject shop, Big W, Supermarket etc. I had them for DS 4th birthday and it kept the kids entertained for hours. Also- musical statues cost nothing and is great fun.

Good luck.

Team Blue- I'm not going to say that it's not a problem- because it is. But it's a problem that you can overcome and get stronger from. Before kids- I had a horrible addiction. It almost killed me a couple of times- quite literally and mentally. But, I overcame it. I looked forward instead of looking back. I recognised that it was my mistake, and that will be a weakness I carry with me for life. It's something I have gone to great lengths to avoid. I am now on my way up- instead of down and it's the same for you. You recognise that it is an issue- so take steps to remove yourself from that situation- don't put yourself in the temptation. And head up- look forward. Get back from this. You can do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    No pay the cc off completely, close your account and cut it up.That's what i did.Best decision i ever made.Get yourself a debit card,that way you are only ever spending your own money.

Credit cards for most, not all people just lure you to spend money you don't have..JMO.

As for what *I* think, getting rid of it is best...personally I would never use a CC to fund a holiday...round Aus can be done fairly cheaply and if you can afford to pay off a credit card regularly, you can probably manage to save up a few grand over a year and a half to pay for the trip upfront...JMO...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mystics View Post

As for what *I* think, getting rid of it is best...personally I would never use a CC to fund a holiday...round Aus can be done fairly cheaply and if you can afford to pay off a credit card regularly, you can probably manage to save up a few grand over a year and a half to pay for the trip upfront...JMO...
    Actually, you'd be surprised with how much it does cost. Although I think it depends on what you've got in mind.

A camper. Thankfully I already have a car that would be suitable to tow a camper.

Insurance for the car and the camper for a year
    Roadside assistance
    Food
    Petrol- big expense
    Caravan Park Fees- Neither my car nor my camper will be off road capable so there will be times where free camping is not possible.
    Tours etc.

Thanks guys! I think I will reduce the balance down. I don't think I trust myself enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    well done on paying off your CC extra. no new savings here apart from the extra i pay in rent. i took coop to australia zoo for his birthday plus did the little party thing for his birthday.

meant to be going to the circus tomorrow but cant afford it now. spent the money on food as stocking up the cupboards right now with every extra bit of money i get so i can have a few weeks spare. coop will be crushed about the circus but there should be another one in town in a few months time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Extraordinary - If you don't trust yourself with your CC then definitely AT LEAST reduce the balance down, or alternatively cut it up completely once it's paid off. I am another one who pays everything on CC and then pays it off at the end of the month to take advantage of rewards programs (we have about $400 in vouchers so far this year!) but it only works if you are sure that you can avoid paying interest.

Widget, sounds like you've got lots of great tips for the party - hope your DD has fun!!

Myztik - Even if coop is upset about the circus he's sure to get over it soon enough and will look forward to it coming back soon Sounds like the money is better spent on stocking the cupboards for now!

Blueboys – sounds like you’ve had a tough time of it recently - hopefully you have yourself linked in with the appropriate services/people to help you get through this. Nothing can be done about the blow out now, so keep your head up and look forward (easier said than done I know).

AFM - last week was a good one and I stuck to all of my goals and I think we saved at least $75 by using the car less, not spending on food/drink when out and shopping at Aldi and the butchers. This week has been a bit harder as the weather is miserable so we have been driving everywhere rather than walking, and I have slipped a couple of times and bought some hot chocolate/soft drink while we are out. We tend to do finances monthly so it's a little hard to tell exactly how much is being saved, but last week I got cash out at the ATM on Monday and still had it all on Friday!! No big bills yet this month so they might hold off a little longer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    This week I wasn't able to save anything. Damn bills! But hopefully next pay day I will be able to put at least $100 away, I am expecting a mobile phone bill around the $200 mark but after that I SHOULD (in theory) be able to save about $300 unless something else comes up. I am aiming to save around $300 a fortnight. I just put on a $300 Xmas layby at Kmart so will be paying that off til December too.