You guys have officially inspired me with all of your saving stories. Hopefully it's okay if I join in too! DH and I had a pretty big argument last night about our finances - he's a good saver whereas I am not which has been a bit of an issue at various times. I find that we track our spending for a while, do a budget, but then nothing ever comes of it. DH is great at choosing "needs" vs "wants" but unless I have a specific saving goal and some specific ideas to get to that goal then I just spend without thinking and we are back to square one. I find I am motivated for a while but then get bored with it all (think it's a bad personality trait as I am the same with my weight loss goals)
At the moment things are a little up in the air as we are going away in about 8 weeks so budget will be a bit all over the place until then (particularly as we need to buy some summer clothes for DD and I before we go, and something for DD to wear to my sister's wedding, and various other bits and pieces).
So, rather than setting a specific saving goal in dollars, I am going to come up with 10 ways I can save money on a weekly/monthly basis and see how much I can save that way. I have only started thinking about it today, but so far I have
1. No more 'V' - this habit costs me at least $15-$20 a week most weeks
2. Limiting buying lunch at uni to once per month (I am only there 2 days a week but often buy my lunch)
3. Parking off-campus and walking to uni when the weather is okay (saving of up to $15 a week)
4. Minimising car use where possible - at the moment I use about $50-$60 per week in petrol. I plan on walking to the local shops/park where possible, and just being more careful to limit my car use.
5. Grocery shopping:
- Shopping at Aldi rather than Coles/Safeway for most things
- Shopping at fruit and veg shop/butcher rather than supermarket
I am sure there's heaps more which I can add to my list. Will speak to DH tonight (assuming he's talking to me now) to see what he has to add.
Thanks again for the inspiration - I will be checking in to see how everyone's going and will update my list once I've spoken to DH