+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I want to start saving money .which is the best bank to go to set up and account .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im opening a account with the ADDs Up program thru NAB. Basically, you are eligible after you have had a NILs loan. They will match up to $500 of savings. Hoping to have at least $500 in the account by christmas depending on whether I get a job soon or not. Means I will have a great lump sum for Xmas this year and possibly moving!

NILs loans for low income earners
    http://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/connec...out_us/7/4/3/3

ADDs UP program
    http://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/connec...out_us/7/4/3/7

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awesome guys! You are doing so well with your savings already! I must admit- I'm a little jealous of your stash but I'm going to channel that and use it as motivation to keep saving! I have found keeping my eye on the prize is helping with the scrouging so I allow myself to buy travelling magazines and things to read while I eat my bought in lunch. Today I bought the latest one and I can't wait to get in and read it. I also bought a map of Australia so we can start putting stickers on where we would like to go.

mummybynature is offline Loving every moment of motherhood <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been saving since DD was born, my incentive is to stay home with her I try to save atleast $300 per fortnight (everytime I receive my PPL payment). I have only just set up two high interest savings accounts linked to my everyday account (one for me and one for DD) so it is making it a lot easier. It was way too tempting having all of that money just sitting there that I could access with my card (especially when clothes shopping for DD!) My goal is to have about $3000-$4000 when my payments finish so I can then combine my savings with the FTB payments. I'm with ANZ and my savings is 4.75% interest and DD's savings are 6% interest as long as atleast $10 is deposited in there per month and no withdrawels are made. It's a great idea for everyone to spur eachother on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well, I've stuck to the budget. There have been challengers this week. Firstly- I only had $20 for groceries but managed to stay within it and not dip in to the savings. My neighbour wanted DS and I to go camping but I just don't have the money for it and don't want to start a bad habit of dipping into the savings for these kinds of things. Second, my Dad wants me to go and visit my Nan with him on Friday night with me driving! You guessed it- no money for petrol, so I told him this and he said he'd put the required amount of petrol in. Overall- I'm pretty proud of myself, lots of temptation but I did not give in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Well done Extraordinary! Looking forward to hearing your progress hope you're well on track to reach your goals

Pregalicious is offline "Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A great idea given to me when we were saving last year was, if you want to buy something you dont really need, you can - as long as you immediately put the same amount into savings as well.

So - If you want to go out for dinner and spend, say $50...you MUST put $50 into your savings account as well, so the dinner will actually cost you $100 from your budget.

It really makes you think twice about those things you buy out of wanting not needing

Happy Saving! Ill be on the band wagon soon too...we start next month!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I should be in on this too... we need to save some money to finish the subdivision on our land. This is an investment strategy, the quicker we save and get the subdivision done, the quicker we can build and have start getting rental income so we aren't paying 2 mortgages & rent like we are now. Also DH has just demoted himself from work and I am on maternity leave with our 6 week old so we HAVE to stop wasting money!

My goal is $10,000 (to finalise the subdivison) ASAP.... because we have already started and I've got the surveyor on hold! It's costing more than estimated.

We have $5000 so far, and are saving $700each fn of the PPL. Our account is with UBank aswell. We also have one set up with Ubank for DS, and are currently putting away $50fn for him. Will be used for education or anything else we need for him along the way, with the balance given to him at 16 / 18 to help with car or something 'big'.

It's definately tough to save on one income. Thank god we have the PPL at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I am going to jump in here as well. Granted my savings wont be large but it will be something. My goal is to have enough for school next year.

Will be a few weeks before i can start though as i have to stock my cupboards up with essentials for cooking as i am going to cook from scratch and also have coops birthday too so i am going to wait til july before i start.

My first goal is to save $50 a month which is doable if i cook from scratch.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I WILL have a deposit for an apartment within the next two years. Go us!!

CBA has a high interest savings account (6% I think?) called Goalsaver. There's also that first home saver thingo that pays interest from the bank plus 17% from the government (on the first 5k or something) that I'm thinking about looking into.

Small steps, big achievements. I was talking to someone the other day who said, "Omg I'm so stressed because I have less than 15 grand in the bank" - I was like, wow, I've never had anywhere near that much money!!! Whereas to someone else it's just a teardrop. All relative.

I know that for me, to get to 15k will be MASSIVE. But I will get there.