+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default The Savings mission

So- I've set myself a goal. I want to save a stack of cash to travel around Aus in 2013 with my parents for 8months. I have opened a high interest savings account and have a weekly base amount going in with an additional amount going in every fortnight (to coincide with the 'good' week). I have been saving for 3 weeks and I have $655! I'm fairly proud of this, and while it might not seem like much to others- for a single parent on SPP this is quite significant. So, my first goal is $1,000 by the first week of June.

Join me in the mission to save.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (25-05-2011),Buttoneska  (12-09-2011),CrazyJs  (25-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Well done on saving so far. How much are you achieving for for your trip.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    By the end of Jan 2013- I hope to have saved $30,000 with interest on top of that. Although- I'm contemplating whether it's worthwhile to be paying off my loan/credit card faster or push on with savings and than pay the standard/min repayments over the term. I'm thinking the credit card can go as the interest there charging me is a lot more than the interest I'm recieving from the high interest savings account but would like to reach a certain amount in savings before paying it off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohhh I'm so with u!! I'm saving to move out on my own hopefully in a years time.. I opened an account last November but blew all my savings paying off my car.. So I'm starting from scratch! Maybe this will keep me from spending it lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh! Count me in too please!

I really need to start saving money so that I can buy furniture and other household items (read basically everything lol) for when I finally get my Govt housing place. I have opened a separate account to my everyday savings account and my goal is to save $10,000 over the next 9ish months. It will be tough, but it is possible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I'm also on spp, OP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    we really want to do this too, no idea where to begin, any recommendations for a high interest account? How do you work out how much you can put in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep- join me. We'll spur each other on. Who did you go for with a high interest savings account? I went with Ubank. I was previously with ING (and still hold an account with them in case their interest rate is better at some stage), but with Ubank it's 6.00% interest with a bonus 0.5% if you direct debit over $200 a month- which I do. ING is currently 6.35%. I also really like the tracking feature with Ubank- it gives me a graph where I can view my savings increasing (hopefully not decreasing ).

What are your financial goals Ozzy? A certain amount by a certain time? etc etc

Yep- join us Calin! Are you able to put away $1000+ per month? The thing is to be realistic.

btbm- work out your budget first. What can you afford to put away. I have my budget worked out weekly (seeing as I get paid weekly) and use an excel spreadsheet- here is an example of this weeks budget for me;

IncomeWork $700
    Misc (CCR/Tax/Medicare Rebate)
    PPS
    FTB $390
    Total $1090

Expenses
    Rent $300
    Petrol/Groceries/odd stuff $100
    Daycare $85
    Bills $50
    Speech Therapy $90
    Savings $465
    Total Expenses $1090
    Excess (Total income - total expenses)

Savings Balance
    Opening balance last weeks closing balance
    Movements +/- the savings cell
    Closing balance sum of opening balance and movements

I input all my figures (bills are calculated to a weekly estimate) and than whatever figure is in 'Excess' is the amount that is transferred to my savings.

If you can afford $200+ per month to be direct debited from your account into a savigns account than Ubank is your best option. If you can't reach the $200+ atm- than ING is your best option.
    Last edited by SimplyMum; 25-05-2011 at 12:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've been on the same mission since september last year. I've managed to save a little under $11k so far.
    I'm saving to hopefully move and actually be able to get a rental property mostly. I have loan i wouldn't mind paying out as well and might look at updating some old furniture. The rest will just stay in savings and i will hopefully continue to add to it and one day it can be a deposit on a house.
    I'm not on PPS but i am a single parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have all of my accounts with Commonwealth (I can't be bothered changing lol) and I think my interest rate is just over 6%? Something like that anyway!

Extraordinary - I think that I can do $10,000 - but only if it includes the FTB supplement. I have managed to save up just under $20,000 since DS was born and he's just under two, but that includes $5,000 from the baby bonus. I guess it's just a matter of scrimping, and fortunately, that's something i'm pretty good at!

The first step for anyone wanting to save money is to draw up a budget. I personally do mine over a monthly basis, and this seems to work quite well for me! On months where there is an extra pay day I feel super rich! I also use a program called You Need a Budget; it's not really necessary, but I find it helps to keep me in check! The biggest thing that helped me was to have a monthly income buffer. Basically everything that comes in from the 1st until the 31st of the month doesn't get touched until the net month - It's quite handy having an entire months worth of money to play around with on the 1st!