+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gold Coast
    umm may i too?? Thaks in advance! aussie_nurse_kim@yahoo.com.au

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went private but my ob still wanted a letter from my psycoligist supporting my decision. I went to a lady that specializes in pregnancy related issue and pnd. The letter was pretty easy to get, we just spoke about why it freaked me out and she asked me lots of questions about csections to make sure I fully understood what I was getting into ( I did my research so that wasn't an issue)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an elective in a public hospital. I told them I wanted one and my reasons.. exaggerate if you have to. I told them I had seen many a traumatic birth go wrong when I was younger and it has scarred me for life. I told them I had a history of sexual abuse and it would cause me to have a panic attack if I went through a natural birth. I told them just the thought of it makes me want to vomit.
    They asked me what I would do if they said no and I said I would go to as many hospitals as it took to get me my c section.
    The OB rang upstairs to the big guys and was on the phone for a few minutes, care back and said okay, no problem, we are happy with that.
    I was never asked about it again and had my elective no problem.This was at the royal north shore in Sydney.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can they legally refuse you? I thought they couldn't.

Another thing to consider is an early epidural? If you are afraid of the birth then that might be another option for you. My friend was petrified of birth and she got one very early in her labour and it was brilliant for her. Might be worth looking into that. I know for a fact they can't refuse that.

My experience is similar to GothChick's...

The Ob I saw at the hospital said that she doesn't see a reason why they would deny me my caesar, that my reasons are reasonable, and that they can't actually FORCE anyone to have a vaginal birth, because if you are really against the idea of it, the birth probably won't progress well anyway, because your brain actually has alot to do with the birthing process and you needs to be mentally ready to have your body go through the process.

Make sure you list the reasons and take the list with you (cos if you're nervous you forget), and tell them that you have researched the pros and cons of each type of birth thoroughly and have made an informed choice - they like this, as a lot of them saying no is just covering themselves in case something goes wrong. I also told her that if they weren't prepared to fulfill my request, I would take it as far as I needed to within the hospital and go to another hospital if necessary.

In my research I discovered that alot of hospitals that deny these requests do so because caesars cost the hospital more, and also they have statistics on how many caesars were done and are compared to other hospitals across the country - and guess what....their money and stats have nothing to do with the health of me or my baby!!

Only you know what is best for you - and this follows onto the health of your bubba - don't listen to anyone else, they aren't in your shoes