+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default so whats your playgroup like?

The playgroup I usually go to is more like a mothers group and its very laid back. Its for mums between 18 and 25 and its awesome! We are all very different but also the same. So the other day I went to a new play group and it freaked me out! I thought it would be good to expand my play group experiences so ds has something fun to do every day. Anyway there were a lot more kids and everyone was kinda shadowing their kids EVERYWHERE! It was like there were 15 kids on the playground and 15 mums. Nobody sat down for more than a few minutes with a cup of tea and I saw a lot of mums helping their 3 plus year olds do simple things like climb a ladder or go down a slide. At my regular playground the kids do their own thing mostly and we run song time and story time and crafts through out the day for some added fun. I like watching the kids interact without their mums "helping" and seeing how they problem solve and come up with all their own make believe games and thinking up crazy stuff to do. Granted they are cheekier but we are close by to pull them up if they are too mischievous! I also like getting to sit and have a chat to other mums and enjoy a coffee without interruption! I'm not sure if my usual group is different from most but just wondering what other peoples playgroups are like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Your playgroup sounds awesome!!!

I only took my boys to one, 4 times. They were aged 3&1 at the time, I was only 24, and a SAHM, and the other mums were all 35+ and career women who came to playgroup on their one day off in the week.
    They made me feel like such an outcast, I really tried to make an effort and chat with them but they would snub me off and walk off, or turn around and talk to someone else.
    I also tried to keep going, because it wasn't for my benefit anyway, it was for my kids, but when no one got any nicer towards me I gave up

So I would then take them to our local indoor play centre once or twice a week and there were so many other young, nice mummies that were regulars there aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have one I went to one for the first term but the mothers were so clicky and I just didn't fit in. I stuck it out because dd loved it but I hated it.

I get so lonely now. I don't really have any friends with kids. Your mums group sounds awesome!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LeighB For This Useful Post:

youmake3  (14-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My playgroup is like yours, more a mothers group where the mums sit around chatting and the kids play on the play equipment (we used to go around to our houses, but it's too big now so we have a venue). There are a couple of mums who are 'helicopter parents' (usually when their kids are being naughty!)but most are laid back.
    I'm moving in a few weeks though to another town, I'm thinking of starting my own mothers group with a few friends I have there, so it will be even better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I go to a structured, organized local playgroup and have a couple of mothers groups.
    I have to agree about the playgroup. I find myself feeling extremely isolated. I am 27 yet feel so much younger than the other mums. But my Ds gets to do some great crafts, heaps of different toys to play with, and they have reading and songs which I feel prepares him for kinder.
    My mothers group though are fantastic. The mums are amazing. I think we have stuck together because we are all youngish and welcoming and supportive.

I think you need to try a couple of playgroups or mothers groups till u find what fits.

The mothers groups I am in are all hubbers!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My playgroup is held in a church hall, with lots of tables set up with different activities (playdoh, puzzles etc) and a couple of bigger plastic toys such a small slide and some little trikes. One corner is the baby corner with playmats, blankets and little baby toys. Pretty much the parents stand around and chat while the kids have free play. Then we have morning tea, followed by 15 minutes of story and music time. I love it. I'm 26 and probably one of the youngest members, but everyone is really lovely, never had a problem with feeling excluded.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LeighB View Post
    I don't have one I went to one for the first term but the mothers were so clicky and I just didn't fit in. I stuck it out because dd loved it but I hated it.

I get so lonely now. I don't really have any friends with kids. Your mums group sounds awesome!
    Call your local council. They should have a list of all playgroups in your area.

I go to a structured playgroup for young mums under 25, single mums, mums with disabilities or who have kids with disabilities, etc. I started as a normal mum going there every week, but now finished a community awareness course to become a mentor there.
    This playgroup is like a second home for me. I know all the girls there very well and same with their kids. I've seen a few newborns that are now over 12 months old and am amazed at how quick they have developed and grown.
    The kids go out and play, while we all sit down and have a cuppa. The kids also get a chance to do crafts as well.

MyAlterEgo is offline Love my hubby, my kids, my life what more could I want.... oh yes another bubba
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ours is one that was 'set up' after chatting in a forum (like BH) and a woman started thread asking if any mums wanted to meet up after she moved to area so she could get to know some locals it is very casual like yours only 5 of us but one year on we are all close friends and would run a mile to help the other.

We all met with the same idea as to why we didn't want to attend a organised playgroup after all having similar 'outcast or cliquey' experiencess and wanted the group for our benifit to have adult conversation as much as our kids.

Sent while getting my daily BH fix on my iPhone....

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is it too early to join a playgroup??

Hi there everyone,

I'm new to this online forum thing and was looking for a bit of advice.

My son is 8 months old and I take him to mothers group however all the other bubs in the group are girls. The mothers are all great and we have all bonded really well however I was just wondering if i should take him to another playgroup where he can meet other baby boys?? Im finding that girls and boys seem to develop a bit differently adn I would love to meet mums of sons so we could exchange information also. Is he too young to go to a playgroup yet?? Are there any other mums out there that have the same problem that are looking for a play mate for their little prince. I live in the Northern Suburbs-Mill Park area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you girls tried a meetup group? google meetup and go to your area. I joined a single patent oone and ds and i love it!