+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 8 Months Travelling around Aus

My parents and I are taking the plunge....AND I'M SOOO EXCITED!!!! It's still another 18months away yet but I just can't wait! Originally the plan was to leave in Sep 2012 for a 1 year holiday but because of schooling, Christmas and Work committments together with ease of finances- we have decided to leave in Feb 2013 and go for just 8months- doing the more difficult places (remote).

My parents have a caravan.

And I will be buying a camper trailer- a VERY NICE one!

I simply can't wait. I've been searching the website for good blogs to read, forums to chat in and getting heaps of tips.

We will also be homeschooling!!!

Anyone else done this, or is planning to do this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are on the road at the moment- have been for the past 18months. We are working aswell. I think we will settle at the start of next year- hopefully we would have done a full lap by then!

Def wont be getting rid of the van though- I can see 6 weeks holidays being a regular thing!!

WARNING:: once you have the travel bug you cannot get rid of it!!
    ( i met one family that have been on the road for 7 yrs! they have a home base but just got the bug and can never stay home!)

How old are your children? Our eldest starts kindy/preschool/reception/ (the grade before you get to yr 1!!) (have learnt every state is different!!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get a camps australia book- its like a bible! heaps of free and or cheap camping. Must have!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow- 18months! That must be soo nice! Can I ask what you do for work? There is a possibility of doing work on the road for me but it wont be for a few years. I am studying to be an accountant and if all goes well, should be just finished my degree by the time we hit the road but wont have the experience to do books on my own.

I have one child. He is in Kindy atm (grade before yr 1). He'll be missing most or maybe all of yr 2. The main reason we're going at this time is because I can claim FTB and PPS without meeting any work/study criteria because I will be homeschooling, and PPS cuts out when your youngest child turns 8. So, after that (or upon our return)- I'll either need to be working on the road or have enough savings for the required time period.

Looking into it all now- I feel I already have the bug! I'm not sure how I'm going to survive the next 18months. I just want to go now! I'm constantly buying magazines and books to read. I'm currently hanging out for the new CamperTrailer mag coming out as it has 8 camper trailer reviews in it. And I'm saving my little botootie off!

Can I ask you what your weekly budget is like? How much do you allow for accomodation (caravan parks, national parks etc), food, misc etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Weekly budget? Wow I have never thought about it. We spend what we have when we have it, be scrouges when we need to be!

We have our bills- insurance, rego's, phone & net, etc. So we make sure we have budgeted for them. Work out where we are going next so how much fuel we need.

Budget on $40 a night for caravan parks. Some will be cheaper and some more expensive.

If you prepare your food for the day's travel it is heaps cheaper. It can end up being $50+ for the four of us, thats $150 just in food for 3 meals on the rd. Invest in a little car fridge that is at your side. You can get them with the hot or cold option. They are really handy.

It also depends on what you are going to see, touristy wise. Some things are free, somethings cost heaps. Start looking where you are going and what things cost. If you are going through a lot of national parks you can get national park passes.

Start working on get as less mail as you can- all bills online etc That will save on forwarding costs.

I am also studying- nursing and then will do midwifery. Its great as once I finish we can settle down and over the yrs of travelling I have also managed a degree!!

As for work, my DH said he was never going to drive a truck- that is all he has done since we left!! We have worked on two cropping farms- one in SA for harvest and one in NSW (now) for seeding. We have done the vintage in the Barossa. I have worked in hospitality as bar staff, in child care (i have my diploma), I worked in the barossa at a new brewery that opened- that was cool. There is heaps of fruit pick etc- there is the harvest trail - google that and it will come up with a guide to download. Even if your not into fruit picking the busy times will mean other businesses need more staff- pubs, cafe's, hotels, transport, etc. We have never been out of work, it depends what you are prepared to do.

I have seen heaps of camper trailers- we used to have one before the van. The best ones are the ones with the hard floors i reckon! but im a bit girly and hate the elements!! our camper didnt have a real floor in it and i hated the lizards cruizing through!! If your going outback have you looked into the kimberley kampers- they look tough.

Better go, happy investigating!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, I think I've made up my mind. I think I'm going to buy a Pop Top Camper Trailer. It's lighter so I wont need to change my car, I can start modifying my car (Aux in installed, UHF radio- probably just hand held one etc), and it's quicker set up. I'm hoping I can get a reasonable late model outback one within my budget, either that or check out possible demos at the shows? Hopefully I get lucky!

I've also decided on the equipment and technology that I will get form DS and I. GPS, Walkie Talkies, Nintendo DS for DS, Ipod for DS, and an ipad each instead of the e-readers. All are planned for birthday and xmas gifts over the next 2 years. I'm also going to try and get them in the US with the good exchange rate.

So, in the mean time- we're still saving and planning. I'm still constantly reading and researching and staying motivated. Uni starts back up soon so I will definitely have a lot to keep me busy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't done it, but our plan is (at some point) to travel and homeschool DD and number 2 when he/ she arrives.

Just wanted to say Very exciting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Girl X- we've decided to do it before DS is 8yo as that is when PPS cuts out and every little cent helps, also- you don't need to meet the work/study test when you are homeschooling for FTB.

Thanks btw- I'm so excited. I've just got to stay 100% motivated to achieve my savings goal- this is the start of a great holiday. I don't want to be stressing about fiannces.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well you definitely have a great incentive to stay on track with the savings!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't wait! I'm so excited. It's still another 16months or so away but we went to the caravan and camping show on the weekend and I am just sooooo pumped! I want to start selling some stuff around the house. Get some money in and start earning some interest on it! I just can't wait- I want it to happen RIGHT NOW!!!!