+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Which hotel in Cairns is best for kids?

Hi,

We're going to Cairns later on in the year, and are wondering which hotel would be the best to stay in with the kids. We're looking at Harbour lights, Hilton and Novotel. The harbour lights apartments mean we'd have our own room apart from the kids but the pools are better at Hilton and Novotel. Though we'll be walking most places so the Novotel seems closer to the shopping area. Can anyone recommend one of these places please? Cheers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The Novotel is definitely more family friendly. Then I would say the Hilton, and then Harbour Lights. Harbour Lights is very modern and clean and sterile, and you don't see many kids around.

The Novotel has the better pool facilities for children, and the restaurant is more casual dining.

There are much better places in Cairns to stay with kids, but if you have to walk everywhere you are a little limited I guess.
    Last edited by Pina Colada; 17-05-2011 at 09:49.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

summerly  (17-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Pina Colada,

What are the better places to stay with kids? Would it be easier to take a bus in Cairns rather than walking? Are the bus services there any good?

Oh and is the beach good for swimming?
    Last edited by summerly; 17-05-2011 at 10:30. Reason: more questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    TheBig 4 Coconut Palms Resort is a good place for families, lots for kids to do, pool (we still have hot days up this way even in Winter) a jumping pillow, all sorts of fun things to do and nice cabins too. Out of what you've said though, Novotel would be the better one.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

summerly  (17-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The beach at Cairns itself, no it is no good for swimming, it is not a sandy beach, it is mudflats. There is a lovely lagoon on the Esplanade, and there is also Muddies play area, which has a kids water park.

There are northern beaches that are a little better, and some further south like Mission Beach etc. but November to May/June is stinger season, so if you do swim you are supposed to swim in the stinger nets, but there is no way in hell I get in the water at that time of year. Even at other times of year, they aren't the best beaches in the world for swimming. The best beaches you can find in the area are on the islands if you are taking a reef trip.

http://www.coconut.com.au/

This is the most popular family accommodation in Cairns, and it is brilliant. Extremely family friendly.

http://www.thelakescairns.com.au/index.php

I've stayed here before with kids as well, and it was quite good. There are several pools from memory, and a lot of them have the sandy beach thing happening too. There is also a playground (or two).

I don't think any of the motels you listed are self contained, I don't know if that is a problem for you, but it is a must for us when travelling as a family

Don't know much about the public transport sorry.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

summerly  (17-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmingup****** View Post
    TheBig 4 Coconut Palms Resort is a good place for families, lots for kids to do, pool (we still have hot days up this way even in Winter) a jumping pillow, all sorts of fun things to do and nice cabins too..
    I agree

earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    In Antarctica for 12 months.... I mean Tassie!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    The only thing with the coconut resort is that it is a fair way out of town....You would need your own transport to get around. It is on the south side of Cairns.

But saying that it is a GREAT place to stay with kids!!!! The cabins are lovely & the grounds themselves are awesome.

When are you thinking of coming to Cairns?

EF x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’ve been using hotelscombined.com for a couple years and now find it difficult to book hotels without it. Clean and simple - love the price comparison idea. One suggestion, please make it easier to look for rooms suitable for families and kids.