+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just giving you food for thought... No one has mentioned northern gold coast schools...there are quite a few private schools around Coomera, ormeau and the one my DD will start at next year is at yatala, Rivermount College, it has a lovely country feel. I think lots of the schools that have been mentioned you will struggle to get a child into for next year, as we did!!! Because there are quite a few schools up the northern end of the coast I think demand is slightly less.

Most of the private schools here offer a great education, it just depends on your religious beliefs and what values you would like your school of choice to 'possess' if you know what I mean.
    In terms of state schools, there are also lots with great reputations. I'm a teacher and I've come to realise it really depends who you talk to. I've taught in state schools where I would never send my child, but then heard a parent say how wonderful it is. Such a personal choice based on an individuals experiences.
    Have you thought about where you would like to live/ work? Surely you don't want to be traveling far for the school drop off?
    We are actually moving before the start of the school year to be closer to our school (tho we wanted to live in that area eventually anyway) because I thought it important to be closer considering the length of time children go to school.
    Good luck with your school hunting, it can be so daunting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She also said she believed Nsw schools are way ahead of Qld schools.....anyone else think this/been told this?
    Yes I have also heard this, a friend of mine is a teacher in NSW and believes that what she is teaching in Prep is similar to QLD Year 1.

I have a friend whos little boy goes to Pre-Prep at Lindsfarne and they are happy with the school.

Yes you can do tours of state schools, you need to ring and make an appointment as most dont do open days. Some state schools are more accommodating than others, depends if they have a catchment area and need to push for numbers or not. I have done tours of both private and public and feel you can gain ALOT more information from the privates which makes the decision process a bit harder! I have been to Kings twice for tours during schools times (once with DH and once without) and both times each Prep teacher has come out of the classroom and said hi to us and introduced themselves to my son, it was so nice.

Have you thought about where you would like to live/ work? Surely you don't want to be traveling far for the school drop off?
    I agree, you are going to be alot of travelling so it would be good to be fairly close to the school.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I personally wouldn't send my kids to Trinity. I worked there for a few years and I just didn't really think much of the school.

The fees there are about the same as All Saints (I think) but the facilities are not very good. Also, compared to All Saints, they place far too much emphasis on religion. Just my opinion.

All Saints is a great school but pretty much impossible to get into unless you have your child's name down while you're still pregnant. The facilities there are unvelievable. However, I think that the amazing facilities mean that they don't spend enough time in the classroom learning the basic, and most important, subjects such as spelling, grammar, maths, science, etc.

My kids will be going to Queensland Independent College, a Montessori-inspired school in Merrimac. It's tiny (this is only its 2nd year) and I was very impressed when I went to the info night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollipopsmum View Post
    Hi Mahjong, do you know which schools your friends have pulled kids out of and why? I know some people who have found the private schools too pushy with kids but then Ive heard others say the state schools don't push kids enough!! Can't win!! x
    Have PM'd you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mahjong, do you know which schools your friends have pulled kids out of and why? I know some people who have found the private schools too pushy with kids but then Ive heard others say the state schools don't push kids enough!! Can't win!! x
    Have PM'd you
    I would be interested to know this info too Mahjong. Would you mind PM mesg me aswell? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No probs Will PM you now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks got it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Mahjong for your PM, its really helped.

We are in Robina but really dont mind moving to be closer to a good enough school. Think we will take a look at Lindsfarne too and see if we can find differences between QLD and NSW schools. Like the look of Coomera Anglican too so may try that one aswell.

This is so much harder than we ever thought it would be....so many schools!! If anyone else has any other experiences/opinions please share and help us narrow down the list!! x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

Does anybody else know anthing more about Lindisfarne? Our DD has just turned one and I was wondering should we put her name down now for kindergarten? My sisters children go to All Saints and love it. We would like to send DD there, but its to tricky for us living in NSW and with work and daylight saving.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lindisfarne was known as the drug high school when I was at school!
    They get more school holidays then other schools too!

I did the whole time difference thing my whole schooling.