+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question ECV or Cesarean for a Breech Baby?

Hi, I am in need of some advice, please!
    I'm 36 weeks pregnant with my first baby whom happens to be in the frank breech position.

I am so overwhelmed with decisions regarding whether to try for an ECV (turning of baby) or to play it safe with a cesarean (as safe as i can assume they are). There are risks for each, and there is a 20% chance she could turn on her own between now and her due date.
    My instinct is to go ahead with a cesarean (unless she naturally turns prior), if she wanted to come naturally she would have turned. But both the doctor I saw today and the midwife were strongly opinionated for an ECV. The doctor said it would save him 10 minutes extra of paper work! HA!
    Two previous doctors I have spoken with suggested a cesarean as the success rate of an ECV was not worth the risk of it resulting in an emergency C-section anyway.

Please, anyone with any past experiences in this similar decision could really really ease my mind, as doctors and midwives I have seen, just seem to be too strongly opinionated one way or another. Pregnancy is emotional enough without having a feeling of guilt or the wrong decision being waved over you.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    why can't you just give birth while the baby is in breech? That's just another position babies can be born in, as long as they are not pulled out, they birth themselves naturally with no issues most of the time.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to borntobemummy For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (13-05-2011),CitrusRainxxx  (13-10-2013),missred  (01-06-2011),MrsTwith3  (13-05-2011),Theophania  (18-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The risk of an ECV resulting in an emergency c-section is not that high.

I had a breech baby, they tried to turn him at 36 weeks, but he was already too big for them to turn.

I think it's worth a go, if it's too uncomfortable or bubs wont turn, then at least you tried.

Visit Spinning Babies for advice on naturally turning babies, apparently acupuncture has a very high success rate too.

I ended up having a wonderful c-section, so wonderful that I elected to have one for my next non-breech bub and my second was even better.

It's entirely your call though.

My advice would be to thoroughly research both procedures and also the benefits of vaginal births to decide which is best for you.

Fingers crossed bubs decides to get acrobatic on you.

RoseKathleen is offline ...Yes - motherhood is a full-time job!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me, the doctor didn't even give me a choice of trying to turn the bub. He was an obst on the point of retiring (so loads of experience) and he looked at me and said, "In my experience babies are breech for a reason. I don't try and turn them."

I decided to go with his advice - my bub had been breech for the ENTIRE pregnancy. There was a reason he was breech - he had a very short cord. I had an elective cs and I don't regret it. I felt my son's health was worth it.

My sister's baby was also breech. She tried ECV twice - neither worked. And although she was very sore, she didn't even look like going into labour.

At some point you need to make a decision to STOP reading the unhelpful posts where people tell you to kick and scream and demand a vaginal birth with breech babies. In the end it is how YOU would feel if something went wrong. To me you need to pick someone you trust, and follow their advice. They are doctors because they have gone to medical school. Just because someone is a "mother" does not give them the right to tell you to demand a v-birth. (OK - vent over).

For me, I was satisfied that since my baby had been in a feet down position for 20 weeks, he was there to stay and was not going to move. Has your baby always been in that position? Or is she moving around - some weeks head down and some weeks head up? I think that if she is freely moving around, that you should try for the ECV - there is a risk of premature birth, but at 36 weeks you should be fine.

Otherwise, just give your bump a pat, turn your cheek and say - "Obviously you are breech for a reason. No problem sweetie. Mummy will take care of it." and have a cs. It is really not that big of a deal!

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RoseKathleen For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (18-05-2011),cam11  (23-05-2011),EdensMama  (15-06-2011),Guest654  (01-06-2011),HayleyCaitlin  (29-09-2011),inkognito  (18-05-2011),katerinok  (13-10-2013),Loulou789  (12-11-2013),lovelymum  (14-06-2011),Onion  (03-08-2011),smallpotatoes  (25-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    RoseKathleen that is the most sensible post I have ever read on a forum!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

inkognito  (18-05-2011),lovelymum  (14-06-2011)

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My daughter turned herself at about 36 weeks. I would say to give spinning babies a go and see if that helps at all. I don't think I would give the ECV a go, purely because a lot of the time even though the doc can get them around, they just turn themselves back. If vaginal birth of a breech is something you are comfortable with, you can always look into that, but I understand there is a lot of fear these days surrounding that, so it's not always an option.

I hope that your bub will turn and save you all the worry, it might sounds stupid but have you tried talking to bub and asking them to move?

Anyways, you will get some great info from the spinning babies website. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am literally going through this same dilemma as we speak.
    I am also all for Vaginal birth and have had this idea in my head ever since I found out I was pregnant that I wanted to give birth as naturally as possible.
    My bubba has been breech since 30 weeks (was transverse before that, so never head down) and I am now 37+1.
    My ob attempted an ECV yesterday as my bub is quite small, but unfortunately bub wouldn't budge, but I feel better knowing that I tried everything to move bub. If bub hasn't moved by next Tuesday, I will be booked in for a CS.
    I have also tried everything from the spinning babies website including acupuncture and chiro, and I also believe that bubs is in this position for a reason now, possibly a short cord or odd shaped uterus.
    I am still really upset that it has come to this, but I will be happy with a healthy baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in that position, as DD was breech for a while, but luckily for me she turned again at the last minute. (Nothing I did to make her turn back - it was actually caused by an accident I had - not recommended!)

My decision had been to have an elective CS. I wouldn't try ECV after reading up on the risks. My obstetrician and midwife also said that they wouldn't do an ECV, and recommended the CS as being the lower risk option.

All the best with your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    silly question, but why is breech position a reason for c-section before term?
    shouldn't doctors wait until 40 weeks before making decisions?
    i had a normal vaginal delivery but my sister-n-law was diagnosed breech at 36 weeks and had a c-section at 38. now she constantly goes on about how her baby was premature...
    at the time i wasn't sure why they didn't wait until closer to term to see if there was a change.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (14-06-2011),CitrusRainxxx  (13-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    silly question, but why is breech position a reason for c-section before term?
    shouldn't doctors wait until 40 weeks before making decisions?
    i had a normal vaginal delivery but my sister-n-law was diagnosed breech at 36 weeks and had a c-section at 38. now she constantly goes on about how her baby was premature...
    at the time i wasn't sure why they didn't wait until closer to term to see if there was a change.
    38 weeks isn't premature. 37 weeks onwards is 'full term'. So these babies are born 'term'.

The reason they like to schedule the c-section a week before the 'due date' is to minimise the likelihood of the mother going into labour. Going into labour means having to have an 'em. c-section', which is much more costly when it comes to staffing theater etc... especially if she goes into labour at night or in the weekend.