+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millsmum View Post
    yes one of the funds we looked into provided money back for swimming lessons for children the catch was that they had to be diagnosed with asthma to get it back though. It also provided money back on cancer coucil products. we ended up going with medibank though
    Oh i'll definitely have to give HCF a call then...that would make swimming lessons a lot more affordable and both my boys have been diagnosed with asthma...It would never have even occured to me that we would get money back for it.

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    Not all funds pay for swimming lessons, in fact MOST don't.

In July 2002 the government did a massive overhaul of 'lifestyle' based programs. They made multiple recommendations and basically told all the funds that if they ignore the recommendations they would introduced them as legislation to the PHI Act.

Most funds ceased paying benefits then, or in 2005 when the governing department again told the funds to tighten things up. It's because MOST funds listed that it has not yet been legislated.

Rule of thumb is lifestyle programs should be amelioration of or prevention of a specific medical condition. As important as swimming lessons are in most cases it's not prevention or treatment. (although I guess we can all pull the asthma card lol)

(can you tell swimming lessons is a bee in my bonnet?)
    My PHI use to cover 50% of gym memberships and give a $100 voucher for rebel sport each year. It kept changing. Now it is 10% off cancer council from the cancer council store in the city or online (p&h makes savings irrelevant) and quit smoking program. You can get $ for Weight Watchers too but you have to be hugely overweight and jump through hoops to get anything back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    that seems a bit stupid since weight watchers won't accept you unless you have an unhealthy bmi. It's common that things like gym are payable on presentation of declaration from yous dr. And as for cancer council, well everything there is 100 % preventative items

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you have all convinced me to get PHI. I am going to start looking into it. Any recommendations of funds. I am thinking of NIB at the moment. Thoughts? Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with NIB.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bellalika, which plan are you on? Did you compare prices when you decided on NIB?
    Thanks so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're on family plus, but they may have changed the name. There are two main family ones. One has labour ward etc and one doesn't. From memory the other is safeguard.

I did compare prices but I had some limitations due to my epilepsy. Some funds didn't want to cover anything linking from it. I was with NIB when diagnosed so they didn't have a problem. Cost and if they would cover me were my criteria for coming up with a top five. I then looked at what they covered, what would be relevant to my family and then went from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone used teachers' union health or teachers' health? Currently deciding between the two. We want top hospital and extras which will be about $300-350 a month for a family depending if we opt for excess. I also want to upgrade for birth of baby #2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel2045 View Post
    Has anyone used teachers' union health or teachers' health? Currently deciding between the two. We want top hospital and extras which will be about $300-350 a month for a family depending if we opt for excess. I also want to upgrade for birth of baby #2.
    Yes! Was a member if TUH for over a year and switched to medibank. In the end was paying more for TUH without getting as much back from providers. This was in comparison to what we were paying for hospital/excess... Monthly premiums, and claims on dental, dietician and optometry. Also using remedial massage and upgrading to OB cover etc. I'm not sure if anyone else would say good things, but honestly my experience with them wasn't good. Have been paying less with medibank with a much better cover. Also had some problems with over payments and claims not being done. So overall my experience with TUH not so great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellalika View Post
    We're on family plus, but they may have changed the name. There are two main family ones. One has labour ward etc and one doesn't. From memory the other is safeguard.

I did compare prices but I had some limitations due to my epilepsy. Some funds didn't want to cover anything linking from it. I was with NIB when diagnosed so they didn't have a problem. Cost and if they would cover me were my criteria for coming up with a top five. I then looked at what they covered, what would be relevant to my family and then went from there.
    I know this is an old post but in case some of you don't know private health insurance cannot refuse you cover due to a pre-existing condition, but you will have a 12 month waiting period for treatment relating to a pre-existing condition. But then there's the fine print of each subtype of insurance as to what is & isn't covered like maternity, cosmetic surgery, weight loss surgery, etc. If you're going to get insurance it's a good idea to read all the fineprint & seriously consider what you are getting covered/not covered. You might think you need cover for some things, but then 2 years later you could regret it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast