+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default DHEA. Where and How...

Hello Everyone,

Can someone advise please on the use of DHEA along with IVF?

Is its use legal in Australia? How is it administered? Is it only obtained via a doctor...or can you just buy it as a supplement over the counter?

Are their any good statistics or reports of its successful use for women above 42?

Thank you everyone.

Corvus

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DHEA is prescription medicine.
    Common dosage is 25 mg, taken 3 times a day. Some ppl have 50 mg in morning then 25 mg at night, other ppl vice versa, others evenly throughout day.
    You have to take the script to a compounding chemist.
    Pharmacist will keep hold of the repeats paperwork due to some legal requirement that I don't care about.
    Side effects are related to testosterone production, eg. pimples, oily skin/hair.
    Reaches full effectiveness after 3 months of continuous usage.

That's all I can answer for you.
    You (DW) can have a blood test to check circulating DHEA levels, but I don't have any reference values or interpretations.
    Someone here is crediting DHEA with a worse IVF response for their most recent cycle and lowering their dosage.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

MrMrsCorvus  (12-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a hormone in tablet form and yes, it's legal but it must be prescribed.

You need a compounding pharmacy to make it up for you (there are several of these and if they aren't near you they will probably post it - I get mine from Brisbane).

Not all doctors will prescribe it so be prepared for a 'no'...I switched doctors and my new FS used it as routine.

Sorry, I don't know about it's efficacy in different age groups but I have only heard good reports acrosss the board. I know with me it more than quadrupled my regular number of eggs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pumpernickel For This Useful Post:

MrMrsCorvus  (11-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there, DHEA can be prescribed by a doctor, it is leagal, but in Australian needs to be made up by a compounding chemist. I was on 75mg a day (I would take it in the morning as I couldnt remember to take 3 tablets a day), and it cost me about 70 for 100 x 75mg tablets. There is substantial evidence now in the US and OS of the success with fertility in older women using DHEA. It can also increase your chance of a natural BFP.

Goodluck xx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to blondekelli For This Useful Post:

MrMrsCorvus  (11-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you PumperNickle.....

BlondeKelli: Thank you as well. We are currently also going through Melbourne IVF and are potentially looking to change FS...if for no other reason just to seek a second opinion. If I may be so bold and ask.....who might the FS that your seeing be??? D would rather go with a recommendation.

Corvus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sure. I was with Michael Gronow. He is a man of few words, will not hold your hand or give you false hope, but he is very open to discussing new protocols with you, and we were very happy with him. He has also helped us out since stopping IVF which to me says a lot about the man.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to blondekelli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is another thread on DHEA, there may be some good info & links to other studies there too....

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...d.php?t=348449

Goood luck

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkButterfly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went through Melbourne IVF and they were very anti any hormone supplement - actually, they were quite archaic in their thinking which I why I swapped to Monash...

anyway, if you're in Melbourne, there is a great Dr called Denis Rebic at Wellmed Clinic in St Kilda. He's one of the leaders in natural hormone treatments and is very knowledgeable about DHEA. From the other posts, I think some of the dosages sound quite high, I was on 25mg a day with no side effects (other than a bit more energy which was great!). Dr Rebic is in pretty high demand so you need to book asap or even go on waiting list for a cancellation, and they are great at getting back to you.

Good luck!

Lil

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lilly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thank you all

Hello Everyone,

thank you to all the wonderful replies and really amazing support and information that everyone has provided. Its always a bit of risk hoping onto a froum such as this....but everyone here is really amazing with such great support.

felicita: Thank you. Some excellent information that gave us some good perspective

pumpernickel: Thank you again. Great perspective

blondekelli: Thank you and thank you. As I mentioned we are currently with MIVF and seeing another doctor who is in the same suite as Dr. Grownow. I am not certain what we sill do, but I think its important to seek another opinion....I hope our current doctor....who is a leader in the field doesnt resent us. Like any such big decision, it would be silly for us not to fully inform ourselves.

PinkButterfly: Thank you. A great link and I have started reading. I have also put the wife onto it.

lilly: Thank you. We may need to seek an apointment with Dr. Rebic. It certainly adds another option on the table.

Thank you all again. Always happy for more information.

Corvus

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Script help

He's one of the leaders in natural hormone treatments and is very knowledgeable about DHEA. From the other posts, I think some of the dosages sound quite high, I was on 25mg a day with no side effects (other than a bit more energy which was great!).

Good luck! Lil [/QUOTE]

Hello...
    my doc wishes to have me use DHEA... We are not sure how the script is written for tablets/capsules?? You say you take 25mg tablets (and energy-yeah! )....May I ask how old you are?? We know how to do, IE: 4% in macadamia oil cream for vaginal insertion...

Thankyou
    All the best to you..
    Regards Ingrid