+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Government Paid Parental Leave and Centrelink Complaints

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me how long it takes, from putting in your claim, for your payments to start?

I just called Centrelink for the third time to find out what was happening with mine. I put in the initial claim before my DD was born, sent in the paperwork when she was 2 days old, and still haven't received anything!!! She is 7 weeks old this week. The most frustrating part is no one I speak to at Centrelink can give me even a rough idea how much longer it will take. Ive read and been told 14-21 days, but it's been much much longer than that.

Also can you lodge complaints with Centrelink? As I really think it is necessary in this case. I can scrape by without the money, but feel really bad for those who are waiting and can't.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I put mine in 22 march and got mine for the first time last week. Mind you I had to ring the family assistance office to work out what was happening as it had been longer than the 21 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine took 5 weeks from memory. When I called to find out where it was they said that the office processing it had been affected by the floods. They must have shipped my paperwork interstate or to the country cause I was no where near the floods.

Me 26 - DP 27
    DS 04/02/2011

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Feathers, I'm Marian, I work at Centrelink in a team answering questions posted in online forums, and through social media.

Processing times can vary depending on the complexity of the claim. Once the claim is finalised it will be back-dated to your eligible start date (i.e. the date of birth of your child or your later requested start date). It can be frustrating when claims take a long time, but it's a good idea to keep in contact with the Family Assistance Office.

You can make a complaint to Centrelink by calling the Customer Relations line on 1800 050 004. There's more info about the complaints procedure here; http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/about_us/complaints.htm,

All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quite a few people have had this same problem by the sounds of it! I lodged mine online before DD was born and put in my paperwork when she was a few days old as well. The payments started within 2 weeks and were backdated to her birthdate. I was one of the lucky ones I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies everyone

If I havent heard/received anything by the end of the week, I shall lodge a complaint. The amount of people who have suffered delays is ridiculous, as is the fact that they cant even give you an estimated time frame!!!

It is great that they backdate it, but that doesnt help people whos mortgage/rent/power/telco/insurances etc were due 6 WEEKS AGO!!!

And I understood the floods were an issue back when I called initially in February to enquire about applying for the payments, but it's now May, the call centre queue was still more than 10 minutes when I called yesterday.

Ill be glad once Ive received the PPL, and hopefully wont have to deal with Centrelink EVER AGAIN after that!

Thanks again everyone I shall update you on any happenings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With all do respects, what possibly could be the complexity of a basic claim? Particularly when all the paperwork is completed prior to the birth! Everyone is paid the same and documentation has been provided as proof of birth. Many many women here are complaining about the delays in this payment being processed and centrelink needs to be called to respond publicly for these delays. I find it astouding that women are being told that they need to wait for these payments. I am disgusted more so that anyone should be expected to chase centrelink or FAO for their payments. It shows a lack of understanding of time constraints many women with newborns experience as well as the call wait times experienced trying to get through to these lines- that is of course if the line isn't engaged and numerous attempts don't have to be made simply to wait to speak with a centrelink operator, many of whom do not have the neccessary answers based on the numerous experiences outlined in this forum.

And don't even get me started on the fact that they are employing someone to trapse the forums whilst families are going without their money due to delays with centrelinks processing times

Hi Missie. Parental Leave Pay claims aren't always as simple and straightforward as you might think. Every person's circumstances are unique, and it is difficult to respond directly to the issues posted on this forum without having more information about individual situations. The Parental Leave Pay rate is the same for everyone eligible, but the eligibility is what can sometimes take time to assess. This is why there is the option to lodge the claim in advance of your baby's arrival date. It is true that having to wait on hold is frustrating - that is why we are engaging with people through social media. We hope that we can give people basic information and save people some time calling the call centres. I have forwarded your concerns, and the other feedback here, to the relevant Centrelink team about the time some parents are waiting for their claims to be assessed.

Finally, Centrelink endeavors to distribute all payments and services in a timely and accurate manner - not just to parents but to all Australians in need. I'm sure you can appreciate that to make accurate decisions, some time has to be taken.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone.

Happy to report I have had a large deposit from Centrelink go into my account today, so I take it thats the backpay of my PPL

Will wait for a letter from them confirming it before I touch it, just to be safe!!!

Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks to everyone its good to know to expect a delay. I have my claim in (just need to send in forms once bubs is born), got it in as early as possible so that is really all I can do until bub comes.

I have a friend that said it took a month so I had this in my head anyway. I'd never expect anything to be instant from Centrelink but can imagine how extremely frustrating it would be to be relying on a payment only for it not to come. Whilst we will be OK, it will make it hard to cover bills etc if the payments are delayed by any more than a month. I really hope that centrelink is getting their act together and processing these claims faster (especially when we're lodging our applications 3 months in advance!), perhaps the system will improve in time?!

I am just grateful we finally have some paid parental leave in this country, and that is happens to be the year of our first baby. I'd be so annoyed if I'd had our baby last year!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Handy to read about these delays, I'll plan ahead for when I put mine in. I wont be needing it before mid to late November anyway because of work maternity pay so I'll still get started on the application early and just nominate the date I want it to begin.
    I havent dealt with centrelink in years but sounds like they haven't changed.. Still as frustrating as ever!