+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't say that private schools will go out of business. I meant that as you said, they will become priced out of many peoples markets.
    We can't afford 40k per year (for example if fees go up) but I can afford to pay a tutor $15k a year to put my child ahead of the pack.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    With all the extra funding that public schools would get if it was taken from private schools, I'd bet it would be a much more level playing field.

Seriously, Pymble Ladies' College (very exclusive) received $4,000,000 from federal government and almost $3,000,000 from state government, so $7,000,000 for the year 2011.

The school I work at in one of the most disadvantaged areas of Sydney received $500,000 from federal government and $3,600,000 from state government. So $4,100,000 for the year 2011.

Do you know what my school could've done with an extra $3 million

How is it fair that this exclusive private school received nearly $3,000,000 a year more than the school I work at in very low socio-economic area?

And the parent contributions/fees/other charges was over $42,000,000 compared to my school's $90k.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 18-04-2012 at 19:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I don't really want to get into this debate. But all I'll say is that in SA , public school students get 12k per year funding (state and federal). Private school students get 6k (my source of info is from the school). If those private students were forced into the public system the government will have to come up with an extra 6k per child.
    It is useless to talk about 'this school got 3 million that school got 2 million'. Look at the funding per child and you will see why our gov supports and funds private schools.
    Yes it might level the playing field a bit if everyone was forced to go to public school but I can bet you the rich will still find a way for their kids to get ahead. Even the physical location of the schools will mean that rich kids will all go to school together and vice versa.
    I'm not agreeing with it. I wish there was some way of making things more equal but I don't know what the answer is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds in year 4 at private
    Dd is in year 2 at public.

I have her on the waitlist to get into ds's school as i am finding public school an awful experience!

Thanks
    Reviews
    With regards class size, the public school dd is in a the moment has 20 in a class. The private school has class sizes of 32+. The head then said that it's not the class size that matters but the teaching style! What? I am an ex teacher, my sister is a pre-primary teacher and neither of us agree with this - of course class size matters, whether you are a good or bad teacher!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd like to go private for primary but all the schools around here are $15k for primary and $25k for secondary. And we want 3 kids. Eek!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaleggos View Post
    With regards class size, the public school dd is in a the moment has 20 in a class. The private school has class sizes of 32+. The head then said that it's not the class size that matters but the teaching style! What? I am an ex teacher, my sister is a pre-primary teacher and neither of us agree with this - of course class size matters, whether you are a good or bad teacher!
    I actually read an article recently that showed class size was much less important than teaching style, and that teachers generally taught the same whether they had 15 or 30 or whatever - cant remember where the article was though sorry. Did make sense though, and was the result of research.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaleggos View Post
    Teacher here too and that's ridiculous!! You don't have the time to give each child what they need when classes are too big! I've taught classes of 18 and classes of 32 so I know what it's like in both situations!! Smaller class sizes far more beneficial to kids no matter how good the teacher is!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course the quality of the teacher makes a difference too though!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Far opposite here re: class sizes!

DS has 17 in his private school class compared to 29 at the local public school.

It may seem like xyz school got $3 mil more than your public school but per student the govt contributes far less than public schools meaning if all those private school kids went to the public schools it would cost them a hell of a lot more than 3 mil!!!!!