+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Public for primary & private for yr6 onwards.

The public is out of zone but the best around. I'm not a fan of any of the public high school & unless they change drastically in the next few years they've lost my vote.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is something very close to heart, from own personal experiences.

I went to a private girls school for 4 years and hated every minute.
    I was picked on and bullied purely because my parents didn't have great jobs or and we weren't loaded.
    But they worked damn hard to put me in that school.
    I ended up changing cause I had so much trouble and was so lonely.

I think private schools are overrated and I think girls schools can cause a lot of issues, cause lets face it, girls are b1atches.
    I think money and status can go to a lot of kids heads if they know about it.

My husband earns really decent money and if I worked full time again, we could def afford private school.

But I will be sending my kids to a public high school. It's in a small beach town but is super popular and got a great rep.

I would rather spend our cash on holidays and activities for our kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't have any preconceptions either way.

I just want to find a school that will nurture DD and her skills and interest. Public or private in and of itself doesn't bother me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We could have sent DD to a private school but to be honest, our local public school has such a good reputation & is FANTASTIC so didn't see the need for the private school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Look im sending my kids to private primary and high school because that is the best available to us in our area.
    If we lived in an area that put us in the zone of a fantastic public school then i would have chosen public.
    For us, we didnt chose our schools based on public, catholic or private. Academic results is a contributing factor but not the be all or end all.
    We want to send our kids to a school were they will be part of a community within the school. I want my kids to not fall through the cracks so smaller class sizes are a must. I want my kids teachers to know who they are, to know there personality and to be able to recognise if they are going through a hard time. I want my children to have access to a large variety of extra curricular activities but most importantly i want them to feel a part of something.
    For me and my family none of the public schools can offer this.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    our local public school is 500m away from our house. its a great school, so kids will go there.
    maybe we'll go to grammar school for highschool, but its 30mins away so a big chunk out of our day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't support unequal private eduaction for children. Public all the way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were fully committed to our local public school. That is until DD did 2 terms there. It was terrible, teachers apathetic and huge class sizes.
    So we swapped to a small, fairly low fee private school and I am much happier.

Just a thought, for those of you who would support equal education for all via pricing private schools out of the market (ie with cutting funding to private schools) thereby forcing every child to go to a public school, have you considered the fact that rich patents will use their money to hire private tutors after school or weekends and thereby still giving advantages to their children? It's a fact of life, kids whose parents have money will always be advantaged one way or another

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will be sending my children to state primary school, then a private catholic high school.I am a state high school teacher, and while the quality of teaching staff in state schools is high (many teachers including me prefer to work in the state system), I don't think my children will get as good an education in a state school due to the other kids there. In private schools, parents tend to expect a lot from their kids and the kids tend to be less disruptive and more keen to learn (in general). However despite me teaching in a nice inner city area, the behavior of the students in my school is very poor which means I have to spend a lot of my time behavior managing rather than teaching, and can't do the innovative and fun lessons with some classes due to the behavior of some. I think my children would have a better opportunity to be successful in a private school (even one of the better ones) as they are around better students and their teacher has more time for teaching.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    LMAO! I seriously doubt private schools will be run out of business.

They'll just hike up their fees.

And in NSW public schools, there are restrictions on class sizes. Some private schools have 50% more students in their kindergarten classes.