+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD1 was initially booked in to private but instead we chose a public school with a really good reputation. I talk to quite a lot of teachers and they all agree they hear great things about that school. I actually think a majority of the kids there "could" be going private. DD1 loves it. Nice teachers, nice kids, I'm friends with a lot of the parents and we all catch up regularly, so she still sees her friends on holidays. If I became unhappy with it I would probably go private though as I don't like the other options around here.

Also with DD I previously had a little girl who was delayed and hated learning but I have spoken to her teachers and now she is loving school and interested in learning. They tailored some of her activities to make it more "her". She is still delayed but now she is actually interested I am seeing such an improvement
    Last edited by chameleon; 24-03-2012 at 10:02.

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It really depends , there are some fantastic state schools, there are some that still charge as much as private schools which mean your paying for year 11 & 12 results. But there are some really good state schools that still only charge amenities and subject tolls. I was lucky enough to attend Viewbank college best state school in my area if you ask me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At a push we could send DS1 to a private school. We have a choice of 5 absolutely amazing private schools to choose from in our area. But we also enjoy having a nice lifestyle! I'm currently in the process of filling in applications for all 3 kids to start private school at year 7. DH's wage will have doubled by then and I'll be working so it will be quite achievable for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If your local public school has a good reputation, I would choose it for years K-6. Children feel much more comfortable when they can relate to their school being close to home and within their own community, rather than driving to a location each day that means nothing to them. Local community spirit is important in the early years, and it is nice when kids see their friends at the local shops on the weekend and so on. High school is a different story and I am not sure what we will do about that yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boys both go to a private school at the moment but it ends at Yr 10 so I am now trying to decide where to go next. We could afford to stay private but the private choices are a grammar school (not a fan) or a catholic school (not religious) so I may end up choosing a public school option as it is actually my preferrred school. I chose private school in the first place because of it's philosophy, I think the early push into literacy, computers and home work is unnecessary and in many cases detrimental. I also think that now I have an older child who has had such a great foundation from the school he is in now that it wouldn't matter where he went next, he would be able to do well anywhere.

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Some good public schools have advanced placement now days too my little step sister is in year 11 doing yr 12 and a few university classes!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We could afford private but for a few reasons don't use them. We might look into the local Montessori school once I have my own car, so independent yes, private no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Haven't read the replies but for us, it's less about public/private and more about the individual schools in our area. School is a fair way off for us but we have a great public primary school pretty much across the road, so if we're still living around here DD will go there. When it comes to high school we'll assess the schools at the time and decide which one we prefer, regardless of public/private.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We've just had to make this decision for dd. She got accepted into a local private school for pre-primary next yr. I was surprised as we didn't meet any of the criteria so would've been way down the list but they are all for diversification so I guess that's why they accepted her. Anyway my dh was all for her going, and we could have just afforded it for her and our ds (when the time came as he's only 3 weeks old) but it would have been a struggle and would have meant no more trips overseas (where all our family are). And to be honest I'm really happy with the school she goes to at the moment, it's within walking distance (so is the private one) and she is really happy there. I am more concerned about high schools in the area and that was a big part in making the decision as if she goes to the private school she'll stay there for all of her schooling. When we went for the interview it was all a bit too much for me (i wasn't really comfortable with the formality of the school) and couldn't imagine myself enjoying volunteering there (I love volunteering at the kindy she's at now). We eventually decided not to send her to the private school, though I know some of my friends (who were privately educated) think we are nuts. Neither of us went to private schools, but due to hard work we've done well for ourselves. I am a firm believer in if the child wants to learn and has good teachers then they will succeed. Just because they are privately educated does not mean the teachers are any better. My dd loves to learn and I am sure with the right support from us she will succeed, and also experience more of the world with the money we would've had to use to send her to the private school. Fingers crossed our ds is the same, and that I don't spend the rest of their school years regretting the decision we've made!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nat11 View Post
    We are lucky enough to have the resources to send DS and future children to private school however as a teacher (have taught in both public and private) I'll be sending DS and future children to a public school at least for primary as I strongly believe that they need to learn about how diverse society is amongst other things. I don't believe the educational standard is any less than the private. If our child/children do go to a private secondary school it will not be a religious one for the above reasons.
    This.