+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are sending our kids to a Steiner school because it better fits our life style and philosophy, and our childrens personalities best. We have our son in a public school at the moment and he is not liking it very much. Too big, too competitive, and not enough imagination. I know that there are some fantastic public schools out there, but we do not live near one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If we can afford private school when our kids start secondary school I think we'll choose private, but our choice will be based on finding a school that suits our children, not which one gets highest test results etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those of you talking about public primary, do you feel the same when it comes to secondary school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're a fair way off that, but undecided. Will depend where we live, but I guess my views on primary & highschool are a little different. At the moment I probably wouldn't choose our closest public secondary school, but there's another in our area that I'd be happy with if we could get into it. If we had to go with the closest, I'd be inclined to choose private... although in 5 or 6 years when this will be an issue the school could be quite different!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    For those of you talking about public primary, do you feel the same when it comes to secondary school?
    Some of the private high schools in our area I would not send our kids too just like some of the high schools. One of our local high schools has just become a selective so in a few years it just may be the front winner for the area.
    At the moment if I had a child in high school it would probably be private since there is a good one just up the road (there is a good public one but it is not very close and we dont have public transport just yet)

So like primary I feel the same as high....I look at the school as a school and nothing more and then base my decision on reputation and performance.
    Last edited by SorenLorensen; 09-05-2011 at 18:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    Not at all. There is no way in the world I would send my kids to any of the local high schools here. Between DH & I, we've been to them all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We will most likely send our kid to private school for high school but public for primary. Although we will also look at the best public schools and see if we can live in that catchment area. I'd rather pay an extra couple of $$$K for a house than school fees. At least it's an investment (in dollar terms not education!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    This. And this, this and this.
    Us too
    That said, I'll be looking for a high performing state school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Long way off for us yet, but it'll depend on where we're living

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Private schooling here. IF the public schools were remotely as good as the private schools in the area we are moving too then I would have no issue with sending my children to a public school. However they are not.

I was sent to a public school throughout my entire education. My parents were and are very well off and could afford the best private school in Australia. However they were very strong believers of the public system. Now they wish they had chosen differently. I wish they had sent me to a private school too. They now believe that private education is the best way, public schools aren't like they used to be.

MIL also believes that in many cases private these days is perhaps best. She is a public school teacher with a great reputation of over 30 years. There are many reasons why she says this. She loves the public system but says the public system in many ways fails their students
    Last edited by 1CrazyMoose; 24-03-2012 at 10:01.