+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My nephews were actually in the zone for Turramurra but she didn't want them to go there, so she got them into Killara.
    smart woman!

I hear amazing things about Killara.
    I live just near Turramurra...and the kids are pretty lovely but I dont think its run as well as Killara.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Completely depends on where we are living. If we're still here, out of zone public till yr6. Melbourne, I have no idea. Singapore, still no idea.

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by decambla View Post
    We could afford to send our three children to private school but chose a public school. It is not the closet one to our house, we chose it based on its reputation. It is only a small public school with around 220 students.
    I couldnt be any happier with the school. They've have accommodated our childrens needs (DS being gifted and DD with social anxiety) incredibly well. It is a very community orientated school that openly encourages parental involvement. DH and I are on first name basis with all the teachers and office staff, as are the majority of parents. The principle and a number of teachers go as far as to have coffee regulary with our parents committee to generally catch up or discuss any issues we have in a more comfortable environment away from the formality of our meetings.

I know this isnt the case with all public schools but as I said, I couldnt be any happier with the choice we made in sending our children to this public school.
    Sounds like the school I work at. we make kids the priority, not the silly NAPLAN.

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    Completely depends on where we are living. If we're still here, out of zone public till yr6. Melbourne, I have no idea. Singapore, still no idea.
    Singapore International School is brilliant. All teachers need to have their international bacalauriette (I can't spell it) or equivalent to be granted a position. A few exemptions, such as going to international schools themselves, are allowed. Their school grounds are beautiful!

Have they hinted as to where in Melbourne you may be transferred yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We could probably stretch to Private, however we wont be. DH is top of his trade and i have a PhD... we were both 100% publicly schooled and have done more than alright. Also the public schools around us have very good reputations - particularly the Primary School.
    I think that if you instill good habits and respect at home regarding attitude to school then the child will perform to their best in most school situations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellalika View Post
    Singapore International School is brilliant. All teachers need to have their international bacalauriette (I can't spell it) or equivalent to be granted a position. A few exemptions, such as going to international schools themselves, are allowed. Their school grounds are beautiful!

Have they hinted as to where in Melbourne you may be transferred yet?

Off to google Singapore.

Melbourne, we'd be living in westerern 'burbs. DH would be working in CBD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kar View Post
    Our first choice will certainly be to send our children to state school. We could afford private but our philosophical perspective on wealth and privilege mean we would prefer not to, and we have no religious affiliation.
    This. And this, this and this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are not rich, dp is still an apprentice but we would send DD to the school we have chosen at all costs.
    It is the closest school to where we live and it happens to be the one I went to, a small catholic school that has the most beautiful community and teachers/students. It is incredibly important to me that she gets the same education I got (private) because I can see how badly the public system left DP behind

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I could not afford private but even if i could i wouldn't send ds to one UNLESS there were no good schools in the area.I don't believe in single sex schools for a start.

I am lucky in that ds goes to a really good public school and i am very happy with it.

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If we are in the same area in 6 years time we will stick to our current plan of public primary school and then private high school.