+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It seems like a lot of it depends on where you live. It's great that there are some fab public schools around, although I do think that happens more in primary than secondary. There are certainly no decent public schools in my town generally it is the exception if people do well in our public schools, not the rule. In my town that is.
    I seem to hear lots of people saying that they are all for public schools (irl), but they re the ones that couldn't afford private anyway. And by private I don't mean catholic, as they are very cheap here anyway. I know I am the same. If we end up at public for secondary it will be down to money only, and I will probably defend my choice as being the best for my child. But of course I will, as we need to feel like we have done the best thing, even if it means lying to ourselves well thAts how I feel anyway. And I think lots of people are the same, they just don't admit it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It not always about where you live.
    We lived in Gordon and the local school was awful..supposedly the kind of area where you dont have to worry about the school!

Now we moved a little further up the north shore and have to say the schools are definitely better. The parents are so much more involved. In Gordon it was mainly nanny's picking up he kids!

Its nicer but still compared to my sons private, it just doesnt come close.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Must be a big difference between Gordon and Gordon West then. Not many nannies that I have noticed there, a few snobby mothers, though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We could afford to send our three children to private school but chose a public school. It is not the closet one to our house, we chose it based on its reputation. It is only a small public school with around 220 students.
    I couldnt be any happier with the school. They've have accommodated our childrens needs (DS being gifted and DD with social anxiety) incredibly well. It is a very community orientated school that openly encourages parental involvement. DH and I are on first name basis with all the teachers and office staff, as are the majority of parents. The principle and a number of teachers go as far as to have coffee regulary with our parents committee to generally catch up or discuss any issues we have in a more comfortable environment away from the formality of our meetings.

I know this isnt the case with all public schools but as I said, I couldnt be any happier with the choice we made in sending our children to this public school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Must be a big difference between Gordon and Gordon West then. Not many nannies that I have noticed there, a few snobby mothers, though
    oHHHHH but Gordon West is like the best school in sydney!!!! lol!

We were at gordon east!

are you in gordon????
    Last edited by nothanksbye; 09-05-2011 at 13:40. Reason: best...not pest

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AgnesRonald&Beryl'sMum View Post
    oHHHHH but Gordon West is like the best school in sydney!!!! lol!

We were at gordon east!

are you in gordon????
    Gordon West is the best That is the school song lol

I don't live there, my sister does and my nephews used to go there. My younger nephew just finished there last year and now they both go to Killara High School.

I used to live in West Lindfield and Roseville

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Gordon West is the best That is the school song lol

I don't live there, my sister does and my nephews used to go there. My younger nephew just finished there last year and now they both go to Killara High School.

I used to live in West Lindfield and Roseville
    Ahhh My gran lives around the corner from gordon east!
    I grew up in Pymble and Turramurra!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nephews were actually in the zone for Turramurra but she didn't want them to go there, so she got them into Killara.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our first choice will certainly be to send our children to state school. We could afford private but our philosophical perspective on wealth and privilege mean we would prefer not to, and we have no religious affiliation.
    Having said that of course we will make a decision based on what will suit each child the best. Our issue is that where we live there are very few state high schools presumably because almost everyone sends their kids to private school. So our kids may end up having to travel to go to state school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I'm not wealthy, and never will be, but my kids go to a private school. It is damn tough, but with 7 kids, I am grateful for a very generous sibling discount policy!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DQ For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (09-05-2011)