+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids are in primary.
    They do loads on spelling as well.
    I am actually going to talk to the school as I am so sick of him correcting my spelling and punctuation hahaha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Go ahead, be concerned. I have a feeling that my kids will be just fine. And at least they will know how to spell and write, which is more than I can say for so many of the kids out there.

And did you actually read that I was talking about PRIMARY school kids? Secondary school kids absolutely need to know how to use technology. Sorry but I don't think that it is necessary for them to be going about learning how to set up websites at the age of 10. Maybe an extra spelling lesson would be a bit more useful. And don't tell me about how spelling is boring for kids. A good teacher will make the best of it they can.
    Wow! I think you are taking this far too personally and having digs at people, and making incorrect judgments and assumptions about teachers and what happens in classrooms. Unnecessary and disappointing.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 22-04-2012 at 21:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    Ya thats how our school is.
    Its so awesome. They have their own minecraft world and websites.
    DS is quite amazing on the computer and understands a lot!
    can use excel, powerpoint etc etc..
    has made short films and edited them...

and is only 9...a little bit more than just using a mouse.
    That's pretty cool. I just don't think it is necessary. Just my opinion, I'm not trying to change anyone elses. Just trying to stand up for myself, I wouldn't want to be accused of agreeing that I am wrong just because I decided not to reply (which happened to me in another nastier thread).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Technology is a key way of kids learning how to read and write, you
    don't 'learn computers' you learn about writing a song and use garage band to do it or you might be learning about researching a topic and use PowerPoint to synthesise your findings. Kids at our school would be doing claymation, video making, PowerPoint presentations and use these for student led conferences. Excel would be used for numeracy as young as the early years to graph likes and dislikes or who brought what fruit to school each day. Technology is an integral part of school life not a separate subject to be taught in isolation from everything else. All our students have their own laptops... public primary school.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

delirium  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I am not making sly digs at anyone! Everyone so far on this thread seems to know how to spell.....

You are the one that keeps making rude comments about being 'concerned' and disappointed, then thinking it is ok because you prefaced it with 'sorry to sound rude'. And sorry to take those comments personally, were you not directing them at me?

I've said plenty of times that it is just my opinion. And sorry if I sound judgmental of teachers, i have grown tired of the number of threads judging my profession .

Whatever, I thought we were having a civilised discussion so I promise I will try to not offend anyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    This JMHO but kids have to start in primary or they are left behind. Kids learn how to research stuff for assignments, (textbooks are a thing of the past too). They learn power point, database. Most jobs now have a least a little amount of computer knowledge.

Our school has made a big leap into IT, but reading maths and spelling still form the foundations of primary. It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

The thing is, I'm suspecting many of the wealthy private schools have smart boards and computers too. Some of which has been bought with govt funding, which I think is great. Why not for a school who has many kids that don't even have a computer at home?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Actually, I don't think anything I have said was rude. The only reason I apologised in advance is because for once a thread has remained civil. This thread had been polite and I thought it was only polite to say sorry up front so it wouldn't turn ugly. Clearly I was wrong.

I'm also pretty sure my children will be able to spell well too, and if not, then I can help them. But I'm not going to judge someone who can't spell. My husband can't spell. I don't care. It doesn't make me a better person because I can spell words that he can't.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 22-04-2012 at 21:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    meh I cant spell..
    Its not from too much computers..
    I was a kid in the 80's all we did was turtle and dos.

lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok then, we obviously have a fundamental difference in what we expect from schooling our children.

As an employer I know how I would feel about the CV of someone who knows how to formulate a sentence and to spell compared to someone who doesn't. And sorry but spell check just doesn't magically turn a garbled piece of rubbish into something readable. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Please don't accuse me of turning this thread ugly. i haven't made any digs, sly or otherwise, I haven't taking things personally or become offended. All I said was that I thought the money from smart boards could have been better spent on things like tutoring. Gees.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I can say as an employer, I do look at what schools the applicants go to and yes unless they are illiterate , a little spelling mistake is not going to turn me off them!