+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Interactive whiteboards are great
    BER was a joke in that it should never have funded capital improvements to privately owned infrastructure and should have been
    assessed according to public school need. The whole process was so rushed any needs based assessment was virtually nil.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

4underfour  (22-04-2012),lambjam  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't say smart boards weren't cool, just that I think they are a waste of money. I agree with this article
    http://theinnovativeeducator.blogspo...nitiative.html

And sorry, but I think that a computer per child is an unnecessary expense in primary school. It doesn't take long for a little kid to learn how to use a mouse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am all for whiteboards and computers...

that is the kids future. We have to supply our kids with a laptop or ipad...which I think is awesome as computers are very very important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Smart boards aren't a waste of money- they r fabulous!!! It keeps the students engaged, saves on photocopying, and technology is obviously a thing of the future! There are absolutely amazing teaching resources for the smart boards that I find extremely useful and educational for my students. I don't necessarily think each child needs a computer each but at least 4-6 in each classroom

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes well from what I can see is that there are a lot of people who can use a computer (like going on internet parenting forums and fb), but don't have even basic spelling or rules of the English language.

But that's ok, I understand I am in the very small minority. Despite my DH being a huge computer nerd we are very anti computers for our kids. I'm sure they will pick it up when necessary

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I didn't say smart boards weren't cool, just that I think they are a waste of money. I agree with this article

And sorry, but I think that a computer per child is an unnecessary expense in primary school. It doesn't take long for a little kid to learn how to use a mouse.
    I agree with aspects of that article. Lots if teachers do not use IWBs to their full advantage, which there are many already stated earlier. When used to capacity they can outdo a number of other tools put together similar to what a thermomix does in the kitchen, I don't have one but I just found out this week what they do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    I am all for whiteboards and computers...

that is the kids future. We have to supply our kids with a laptop or ipad...which I think is awesome as computers are very very important.
    I agree- we did a tour of the school my SIL is sending her girls to and got to sit in on a year 5 class, they each had IMacs and were learning how to set up websites!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post

Well I disagree with that article. In the age of technology (and televisions and video games) children have been more stimulated with colours etc. from a young age. A chalkboard is just not interesting. Do you know how much my children love coming up to the whiteboard to do things? Simple things, and it is so much more engaging for all children. The person who wrote the article is either not a teacher, or is a teacher who has not been trained properly how to utilise one.

One thing I found interesting in the article was discussing teacher workload and how whiteboards don't reduce it. Now, there is never going to be a magic button to reduce workload, unless books can mark themselves, and reports can magically appear. In fact, I think a whiteboard increases my workload, but I don't mind at all. I bring my laptop home and do my lessons there. Making up lessons on the whiteboard actually makes me think about and reflect on my lessons more.

Doesn't take long for kids to learn how to use a mouse

Sorry to sound rude again, but if you think that all it takes to survive in the world, is to know how to use a mouse, I'm a little concerned.

And some children don't have a computer at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I agree- we did a tour of the school my SIL is sending her girls to and got to sit in on a year 5 class, they each had IMacs and were learning how to set up websites!!!!
    Ya thats how our school is.
    Its so awesome. They have their own minecraft world and websites.
    DS is quite amazing on the computer and understands a lot!
    can use excel, powerpoint etc etc..
    has made short films and edited them...

and is only 9...a little bit more than just using a mouse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go ahead, be concerned. I have a feeling that my kids will be just fine. And at least they will know how to spell and write, which is more than I can say for so many of the kids out there.

And did you actually read that I was talking about PRIMARY school kids? Secondary school kids absolutely need to know how to use technology. Sorry but I don't think that it is necessary for them to be going about learning how to set up websites at the age of 10. Maybe an extra spelling lesson would be a bit more useful. And don't tell me about how spelling is boring for kids. A good teacher will make the best of it they can.