+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    yeah I do agree if you send your child to a christian school you have to expect christian beliefs will be taught.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    I really wanted to send the kids here..but could not get the kids in..

http://www.johncolet.nsw.edu.au/
    That school looks very nice, why do people not get into these schools? Is it due to high demand?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    The thing is though, statistically the low performers are from low income households. That's not to say low income people raise stupid children. The issues are far more complex than that. But money can buy tutors, and schools that cater to certain needs i.e. music based, dance. A high income parent can choose a private school in inner city with 20 in a class instead of the local public with 30. The stats don't lie, being low socio economic status effects performance, not always but often. How do we address that without looking at socioeconomic status as a grading system?

I'm not supporting nil funding for a wealthy family. But I do support extra funding for a low one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    That school looks very nice, why do people not get into these schools? Is it due to high demand?
    Yep!
    At Ds's school there is a waitlist of 2000 kids for his year 7 intake!!!!
    nightmare!

It was all ok and then channel 9 did a small segment on the school and Bang..plus its not hugely expensive...hitting a total of 11k at the top including everything..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    Yep!
    At Ds's school there is a waitlist of 2000 kids for his year 7 intake!!!!
    nightmare!

It was all ok and then channel 9 did a small segment on the school and Bang..plus its not hugely expensive...hitting a total of 11k at the top including everything..
    OMG! That is crazy. I actually had no idea it was that competitive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree that 'at needs' schools should get extra funding. However, as Delirium also said, I wouldn't want the higher income schools to have their funding cut. From what I have seen those schools are struggling too.

Extra funding for disadvantaged kids, to get tutors etc is an excellent idea. i wish schools would spend money on that rather than smart boards and computers for every kid but that's another topic too .

But back to the more original topic, I don't necessarily think that that extra funding should come from private school kids. As has been said again and again, the government NEEDS kids to go to private schools so the public system isn't overwhelmed. i read somewhere that 40% of school kids go to private. If half of them went over to public it would be a disaster. And I stand by my hypothesis that if funding was cut, many parents just wouldn't be able to afford private schools any more.

Maybe the government should have pumped some of that BER money into disadvantaged schools rather than giving every school in the country a new gym

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    The thing is though, statistically the low performers are from low income households. That's not to say low income people raise stupid children. The issues are far more complex than that. But money can buy tutors, and schools that cater to certain needs i.e. music based, dance. A high income parent can choose a private school in inner city with 20 in a class instead of the local public with 30. The stats don't lie, being low socio economic status effects performance, not always but often. How do we address that without looking at socioeconomic status as a grading system?

I'm not supporting nil funding for a wealthy family. But I do support extra funding for a low one.
    Yep if you actually assessed educational need and the costs associated with that, statistically there would be a direct link to low socio economic areas. I think essentially the funding per child is ok but clearly disadvantaged schools need massive cash injections whichever way you look at it. Perhaps funding could come from unnecessary building grants...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Maybe the government should have pumped some of that BER money into disadvantaged schools rather than giving every school in the country a new gym
    Agree! BER was an administrative joke!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

4underfour  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The BER, overall, was value for money.

If private schools got new gyms, then that's what they would've wanted. It was some public schools that didn't actually get what they wanted, but they were in the minority.

The investigation into the BER proved that it was value for money. Besides, it served its purpose of stimulating the economy and employment.

I don't mean to sound rude, but if you can't see the benefit of computers and interactive whiteboards, then perhaps get into a classroom to see how amazing they are. They are a million times more engaging than a chalkboard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I love the smart boards not only does it make it easier for the teacher and a funnier more interactive experience for the kids - many impoverished kids don't have access to a computer of any kind. We live in the computer age. When I went to uni it was paper based but apparently many unis have gone paperless now. You email assignments. Kids of all backgrounds need to have proficiency in IT and sometimes school is the only place they can get it. We now have video conferencing. Being a rural school it means teachers can have training via this, and kids can link up with other classes at the push of a button.