+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Lambjam, I did not say I wouldn't go to the school because of naplan results, if I based my decision on naplan alone, I'd be trying to get in there. The school my children will go to is nearly all pink and red on the myschool site, that doesn't bother me, because I know that the "like" schools that they compare data with, are really not that alike. I looked on the website to see the number of students, as I couldn't find it on the school's website.

I do say do not judge a school before you know it, but I said I wouldn't send my kids there primarily because I have no interest in my children attending a bilingual school. I don't mind my children learning another language, but not learning to speak, read and write French intensively from kindergarten. No thanks.

I do understand what you mean about not being able to choose any public school, and I totally agree. I think parents should be able to choose any public school within a 10km radius to give parents more choice, but the bottom line is that you and I are both fortunate enough to choose an alternative, and that is why I say it's unfair to our most disadvantaged.

You can always apply out of area.

Just on your point about wealthy public schools reaping the benefits of government funding, well, this is why the Gonski Report recommends funding a price per student, plus recurring funding for schools where resources do not meet minimum standards, and also funding schools according to SES.

ETA - The Gonski Report addresses a lot of your questions, and is an interesting read. It is long, but recommendations and findings are food for thought.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 22-04-2012 at 13:39.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    ETA - The Gonski Report addresses a lot of your questions, and is an interesting read. It is long, but recommendations and findings are food for thought.
    I will check it out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Gonski review final report
    http://www.deewr.gov.au/Schooling/ReviewofFunding/Documents/Review-of-Funding-for-Schooling-Final-Report-Dec-2011.pdf
    Last edited by babyla; 22-04-2012 at 14:22.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Lambjam - I enjoyed reading that post, and while we don't agree on certain aspects, I can tell you've put much thought into the subject.

Your and SAB's posts have me thinking - what if the public schools in my town were totally feral?? what would I do? I've been ultra lucky DD's school is brilliant, and if it wasn't we would have just moved a few streets away to get in the zone to the other public. But then I thought what if that was a shocking school too?? I have strong beliefs about public education, but even more so, about the value of education of my kids. I'm going to go out on a limb here and admit if both publics were shocking I would (grudgingly, bc I'm atheist) send them to the catholic.

It pains me to say that lol bc it would be like fingers down a chalkboard knowing they were getting religious studies. But yeah... I DO understand what your saying.

Really? How funny!

Well, my husband is Irish, my dad's background is Irish and my mum is Lithuanian
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    My Hubby is irish and my mum was lithuanian!
    Wow! What a coincidence!

When did your mum come to Australia?
    *insert creepy music* lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and admit if both publics were shocking I would (grudgingly, bc I'm atheist) send them to the catholic.
    It is one of my greatest bugbears that there is almost no middle ground here. With a few very rare exceptions, our choices are public, religious, or alternative. I find that Anglican schools are less heavy-handed with the religion than Catholic schools, but it's still there.

I am atheist too and would far prefer my children to be learning world religions or philosophy. I have chosen an Anglican school so I have to accept that they have religion classes, but I encourage my children to talk to me about what they're learning and, as they get older and more capable of discretion, encourage them to question what they've heard and formulate their own opinions. My eleven-year-old comes out with some fabulous insights, and our discussions are getting very interesting! I don't challenge anything with my six-year-old yet, as he wouldn't be able to help himself... his religion teacher would be sure to get an earful .

I am astounded that there seems to be no market for main****** private schools that aren't affiliated with religion .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I am astounded that there seems to be no market for main****** private schools that aren't affiliated with religion .
    There is, but they are the Kings and PLC. The problem is private organisations don't want to do it for free. Govt schools break even bc they are a service to the public. Little religious schools are often making a loss, thus why they require govt funding. bc their point is to provide a religious education, not (usually) to make money.

I liken it to DC and pre school/pre-prep. Our kids attended council runned Dc and pre school which run at a break even. They are there as a service to the community and nothing more. But then we have ABC who are there to make money. I don't believe education and CC should be a for-profit venture, and I think that's my problem with the really big, non gov non-religious schools. They don't want to just break even and give quality, affordable education.

I would love to see a secular, private school that just wanted to break even and give that service to the public. But sadly it isn't going to happen.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pymble is a Uniting Church school and I am pretty sure King's is also a Christian school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Pymble is a Uniting Church school and I am pretty sure King's is also a Christian school.

I didn't know that! well there you go.... so no non christian schools exist then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    kings is anglican and plc is uniting church.

i think hills grammar is non religious...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Yes, I curiously Googled and PLC is indeed Uniting. King's is less obvious, but I stole this:

"The King's School was founded as a Christian School and throughout its history Christian ministry has always been a vital part of School life. The School has a broad ministry as it seeks to serve students, staff, Old Boys and their respective families. The Chaplaincy team is busy ministering to the current students through the classroom, chapels and Christian student groups, and we seek to reach our wider community and to minister to them through our two Church congregations within the School."

Further:
    "It is a school committed to the development of good character and those values that are consistent with a caring, Christian community."
    Last edited by lambjam; 22-04-2012 at 15:49.