+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yes you are right, maybe those figure come from boarding which is an additional 20k a year? I just remember someone saying a family member of theirs (and this was several years ago) was paying 30-40k a year for PLC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Because their students are Australia citizens too, and deserve government funding towards their education.

That there are public schools falling apart is a disgrace, but again I question the link you make between the two. In the scenario you suggest, the state governments are not contributing enough to schools in need, and need to increase funding. Let's talk about where they can find that funding by all means, but why the automatic assumption that it should come out of other childrens' education?

Again, we know that two different systems of government provide the bulk of the funding for public and private schools. Let's talk about what state governments can do to increase public school funding, rather than asking the federal government to reduce private school funding. In terms of the economy the two are hardly even linked!

Ok, two glasses of wine and DH is about to catch me... back to my movie. (How apt that it's called Moneyball!)
    Being an Australian citizen does not automatically mean that dollar for dollar should be matched for student funding.
    As an Australian citizen there are a whole range of benefits that I am not eligible for due to my financial circumstances and my being self sufficient.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ok, sneaking on my phone...

Just wondering, when people refer to schools that charge high fees as opposed to low fees, what is your criteria for these descriptions? Is there an arbitrary cut-off point after which a child receives no funding? Or perhaps a sliding scale?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Being an Australian citizen does not automatically mean that dollar for dollar should be matched for student funding.
    I disagree. Australian children not only have a right to attend school, they are required to. Therefore the government needs to provide funding for each child to do so. (And please don't tell me they can just attend public schools; the system couldn't cope with this, and the government knows it.)

Damn, busted! See you tomorrow

Thanks
    Reviews
    I disagree. Australian children not only have a right to attend school, they are required to. Therefore the government needs to provide funding for each child to do so. (And please don't tell me they can just attend public schools; the system couldn't cope with this, and the government knows it.)

Damn, busted! See you tomorrow
    Haha I'm sick of being busted too! We shall resume tomorrow... But.. I
    disagree the government requires I do a whole lot of things too which they don't fund me to do.. Why? Because I can fund it myself. See you tomorrow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Ok, sneaking on my phone...

Just wondering, when people refer to schools that charge high fees as opposed to low fees, what is your criteria for these descriptions? Is there an arbitrary cut-off point after which a child receives no funding? Or perhaps a sliding scale?
    I would say a sliding scale with a cut off at a certain point much like means testing for FTB. So for example under 5k a year is full subsidy, 5-10k might be 50% then over 10k is zero.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yes, what is an elitist school?

I went to loreto normanhurst which does alright in funding but I do not think its elitist.

my kids are down at barker and abbotsleigh but i am happy with their school at the moment which is $9k for year 4. so not massive..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    yes, what is an elitist school?

I went to loreto normanhurst which does alright in funding but I do not think its elitist.

my kids are down at barker and abbotsleigh but i am happy with their school at the moment which is $9k for year 4. so not massive..
    I think anything financially unattainable for average Aussies is elitist, or those that require an entrance test.

Loreto Normanhurst fees are over $16k for the year.

On the Barker website, it says it's over $18k per year for year 4.

http://www.barker.nsw.edu.au/enrolments.asp?id=3

Interestingly, couldn't find Abbotsleigh fees???

For the average Australian on an average wage, those figures are out of reach for only one child, let alone 2 or 3 or 4! And if they really want their children to attend those schools, they just couldn't afford it.

That's what I think is unfair!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 21-04-2012 at 06:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Depends on area u live in. If I lived in an area that had good public schools in my catchment- I would send then there. Unfortunately we are in a new estate and the two local state schools have atrocious reputations and I would never send my kids there so would have to look private but would also want a non denominational one. I work in one so would hope to send them there if u had girls ... Unless an amazing state schools gets built near us in the meantime

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I would say a sliding scale with a cut off at a certain point much like means testing for FTB. So for example under 5k a year is full subsidy, 5-10k might be 50% then over 10k is zero.
    So those who pay more... receive less?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    For the average Australian on an average wage, those figures are out of reach for only one child, let alone 2 or 3 or 4! And if they really want their children to attend those schools, they just couldn't afford it.

That's what I think is unfair!
    And if I really wanted to send my children to the best public school in Canberra I wouldn't be allowed to! How is that fair? (Back to real estate!)

I am pretty taken aback that someone would so blatantly say "Someone can't afford it so it's unfair for anyone to have it." What about wealthy parents who send their children to public schools but have the means to supplement their children's education with tutors, music, sports, the arts? Should their children be deprived of these things because others cannot afford them? Is that unfair?
    Last edited by lambjam; 21-04-2012 at 07:38.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (21-04-2012),The Fox  (22-04-2012)