+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It's in the country's best interest to have a fair and equitable society, for now and the future, and to do that, there needs to be good and fair education for all, not just those who can afford private schools. There is no level playing field in education, how is that fair to our most disadvantaged?

People have said that if someone really wants to afford private school to avoid sending their child to the horrible local public school, they would do it. Perhaps wealthier people could make sacrifices in other areas of their life to continue to send their children to private schools, if that's their priority!
    My mother has 8 children
    She was on benefits when she left her husband and again when my dad lost his job,
    We all went to a private primary school

My sister has 4 children and then her fob's ****ed off to brisbane,
    She is on the spp, currently 2 children go to a private primary schooll, next year it will be 3, the year after 4.

It will cost her 40 dollars a week to send her children there, she values that school so she finds the money.

Not only.the wealthy afford private schooling
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Maybe you could go back and read my post that you quoted.
    I have read it I just didn't really understand it. It's not about removing advantage but creating opportunities for all children, not taking from one group with the purpose of disadvantaging them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    But you won't have more funding! Just more kids in public schools.
    You guys seem to think that people who send their kids to private schools can afford an extra $6k or so per year per kid. I can tell you now that just isn't the case. You will get an influx of kids into public schools.

Whatever, good luck with getting increased funding. Like lamjam said, I don't think that taking it from private school children is the best option.
    You said your school is a low fee private school, then you wouldn't have to worry. It's the elitist schools we are talking about.

You also said the experience your child had at a public school was terrible. So advocate for others who can't afford even a low fee private school, because some people can't afford that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

babyla  (20-04-2012)

Casey88 is offline Life is made up of years that mean nothing, and moments that mean everything.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We can afford to send our children to Private schools and we have looked into the ones near us but in the end have enrolled our DD1 into a public school. I was in public school up until half way through year 9 and then a catholic school for the rest of my schooling after moving to a new town. I have considered doing public schooling for primary but then private for high school but from experience with changing schools, and my best friend in year 7 having to go from our class to a completely different high school I will probably continue with public through to year 12. I think deep down if I child wants to learn they will do so regardless of where they attend school.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I just don't see it as fair that a school like Pymble, charging around 30-40k a year last I heard? should be given 8 million in one year when public schools are literally falling apart.
    Because their students are Australia citizens too, and deserve government funding towards their education.

That there are public schools falling apart is a disgrace, but again I question the link you make between the two. In the scenario you suggest, the state governments are not contributing enough to schools in need, and need to increase funding. Let's talk about where they can find that funding by all means, but why the automatic assumption that it should come out of other childrens' education?

Again, we know that two different systems of government provide the bulk of the funding for public and private schools. Let's talk about what state governments can do to increase public school funding, rather than asking the federal government to reduce private school funding. In terms of the economy the two are hardly even linked!

Ok, two glasses of wine and DH is about to catch me... back to my movie. (How apt that it's called Moneyball!)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (20-04-2012),NancyBlackett  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    My mother has 8 children
    She was on benefits when she left her husband and again when my dad lost his job,
    We all went to a private primary school

My sister has 4 children and then her fob's ****ed off to brisbane,
    She is on the spp, currently 2 children go to a private primary schooll, next year it will be 3, the year after 4.

It will cost her 40 dollars a week to send her children there, she values that school so she finds the money.

Not only.the wealthy afford private schooling
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    I am the youngest of 6 kids. My parents sent us to private school when interest rates were close to 20%, so please, don't tell me who goes to private schools.

If you read the thread back, you will see we are talking about elitist private schools, not low fee ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You said your school is a low fee private school, then you wouldn't have to worry. It's the elitist schools we are talking about.

You also said the experience your child had at a public school was terrible. So advocate for others who can't afford even a low fee private school, because some people can't afford that.
    Fair enough. And if you are talking about only cutting funding to those schools then I'd have to research some more. Because I really don't know anything about those schools and whether they need the funding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Because their students are Australia citizens too, and deserve government funding towards their education.

That there are public schools falling apart is a disgrace, but again I question the link you make between the two. In the scenario you suggest, the state governments are not contributing enough to schools in need, and need to increase funding. Let's talk about where they can find that funding by all means, but why the automatic assumption that it should come out of other childrens' education?

Again, we know that two different systems of government provide the bulk of the funding for public and private schools. Let's talk about what state governments can do to increase public school funding, rather than asking the federal government to reduce private school funding. In terms of the economy the two are hardly even linked!

Ok, two glasses of wine and DH is about to catch me... back to my movie. (How apt that it's called Moneyball!)
    In the 1970's, majority of federal government funding went to public schools, but no surprises that it all changed under John Howard.

The federal government has superior resources and revenue raising ability, so funding should come from them.

If you add up ALL funding from elite schools, an average of $15,000 a year is spent on each student, but only $11,000 on average for catholic and public school students. Quite a difference when most disadvantaged public schools have to supply everything, don't you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    If
    a parent can afford the equivilant to a low income job in fees for one child every year, they don't need the money. and again, I'm not talking about the small catholic school charging 5k a year.

That would be like saying that someone on 500k a year should get the same govt benefits as a single mum on 15k. That's why means testing exists. To help those who are lower income in favour of those that are wealthy and don't need it.

Having a system where elite private schools with rich parents are getting the same funding as public means the rich have a huge advantage. How is that fair? I have no objection to people spending 30-40k on education if they wish, but by virtue of that cost they clearly don't need help nor does the school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just texted my girlfriend whose daughter is in year 6 at PLC, she said she pays $18k per year which gradually goes up to $25k for year 12 so not $40k as suggested!
    She and her husband work full time , in what I would call middle income jobs and she works a second job, 3 nights a week to cover her kids education