+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I asked a few pages ago how you thought about 'rich' parents using their money for private tutors to get their kids ahead. Assuming you have removed funding from those nasty elitist private schools and kids whose parents can't afford them any more move to public.

Let's take a public school in a high socioeconomic area. The first thing I would do if I were a parent would've to use my money to hire a private tutor, so my kid could get ahead. Even better, because all the other parents have money too, we can organize group tutorials so all of the kids benefit.
    Then the school down the road. Low socioeconomic, parents have no money for things like tutors or other extracurricular activities. They go on as before.
    Does that seem better to you? Do you really think that forcing kids to go to public schools will remove the advantage that rich kids have?
    It's not about forcing anyone to go
    anywhere. It's about distributing education funding in an equitable manner.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Why do you get so flustered?

Are you not willing to share?
    Flustered? Not in this thread

I'm totally willing to share and see every single child in Australia receive an equal share of government funding for education. Are you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I asked a few pages ago how you thought about 'rich' parents using their money for private tutors to get their kids ahead. Assuming you have removed funding from those nasty elitist private schools and kids whose parents can't afford them any more move to public.

Let's take a public school in a high socioeconomic area. The first thing I would do if I were a parent would've to use my money to hire a private tutor, so my kid could get ahead. Even better, because all the other parents have money too, we can organize group tutorials so all of the kids benefit.
    Then the school down the road. Low socioeconomic, parents have no money for things like tutors or other extracurricular activities. They go on as before.
    Does that seem better to you? Do you really think that forcing kids to go to public schools will remove the advantage that rich kids have?
    I have never called an elitist school "nasty"

I hardly think a funding cut would extinguish private schools and force everyone to public schools.

You are speculating what people would do.

With more funding, the possibilities are endless. Maybe you are happy with the way things are, but I can dream of a day when the children I teach have just as much of an opportunity that your kids do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    It's not about forcing anyone to go
    anywhere. It's about distributing education funding in an equitable manner.
    But maybe you could think about my question?

Oh yes, I'd like to see funding distributed equally too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But maybe you could think about my question?

Oh yes, I'd like to see funding distributed equally too.
    What was the question?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Not sure if this was directed at me or BigRed. But the point is, that the elitist schools don't need the govt funding. They could continue on, as is, with the high fees they charge. There are only so many pools and mod cons the school needs, and really beyond the basics these type of things don't increase TER's (or whatever they call them now lol).

I just don't see it as fair that a school like Pymble, charging around 30-40k a year last I heard? should be given 8 million in one year when public schools are literally falling apart. Again I support private bc it takes the pressure off public. But places like Kings and Pymble don't need govt funding, especially when many of the parents that send their kids there complain about govt expenditure

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyla  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I have never called an elitist school "nasty"

I hardly think a funding cut would extinguish private schools and force everyone to public schools.

You are speculating what people would do.

With more funding, the possibilities are endless. Maybe you are happy with the way things are, but I can dream of a day when the children I teach have just as much of an opportunity that your kids do.
    But you won't have more funding! Just more kids in public schools.
    You guys seem to think that people who send their kids to private schools can afford an extra $6k or so per year per kid. I can tell you now that just isn't the case. You will get an influx of kids into public schools.

Whatever, good luck with getting increased funding. Like lamjam said, I don't think that taking it from private school children is the best option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Flustered? Not in this thread

I'm totally willing to share and see every single child in Australia receive an equal share of government funding for education. Are you?
    No, I am not, obviously

Pretty sure I've made that point clear?

When the students I teach have the same opportunities that your own children do, then I will be more than happy to share but if you want an elite private school education for your children, then you should pay for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    What was the question?
    Maybe you could go back and read my post that you quoted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But you won't have more funding! Just more kids in public schools.
    You guys seem to think that people who send their kids to private schools can afford an extra $6k or so per year per kid. I can tell you now that just isn't the case. You will get an influx of kids into public schools.

Whatever, good luck with getting increased funding. Like lamjam said, I don't think that taking it from private school children is the best option.
    I think there is confusion as to which private schools we are talking about.