+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Do you assume that most parents could afford to keep their children at these schools without the funding levels as they currently stand? If so, that's a mighty big assumption to make. If not, how do you propose the government deal with the enormous influx of students into public schools? (At what we've established is a higher dollar per head cost than keeping them in private schools.)
    Yep, I do!

ETA - I think most people would be able to.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 20-04-2012 at 19:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not sure if it's true but a friend of mine who teaches in the UK said they have no government funding at all for private schools and approx 5% of the population attends them, making them very elitist and very expensive , here in Australia approx 40% of the kids go to non government schools, so if we are anything like the UK if the government stopped finding private schools the fees would absolutely go up and a lot of parents would have to pull their kids out

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yep, I do!

ETA - I think most people would be able to.
    Well, I disagree. But even if they could scrape the money together, at what cost to the rest of the economy? Those thousands of dollars they suddenly need to come up with have to be cut out of some other area of their budget - that part of the population that can easily afford a few extra thousand dollars per year without sacrificing something else is very small.

I hope I'm not too presumptuous when I say that it seems like you see the economy through the lens of a public school advocate, but there's obviously so much more to it. For example, if the government did cut funding to private schools why do you assume it would end up in the public school coffers? Given that one is primarily funded by the federal government and the other by state, it seems highly unlikely. More likely that it would go towards some shiny new submarines

By all means, champion public schools and fight for more funding... but why is the obvious place to take it from always private schools?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (20-04-2012),NancyBlackett  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    As I said earlier, and in the other thread? I get confused as there are a few going at the same time lol - I support funding to private schools for the same reasons I support funding for PHI. It takes the pressure off the public system. We have had an increase in 3 years of about 30% at DD's school, many coming from the private school bc we have better remedial and accelerated programs than them. But the big non religious schools - no one is going to convince me they need the funding they receive They are using those funds as the cream on the cake (as opposed to using it to stay afloat like many little catholic schools bc fees are low) to build swimming pools and huge libraries. All while public infrastructure is falling apart and teachers are paying for supplies from their own wages trying to give the kids what they need.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyla  (20-04-2012),BigRedV  (20-04-2012),~ElectricPink~  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    As I said earlier, and in the other thread? I get confused as there are a few going at the same time lol - I support funding to private schools for the same reasons I support funding for PHI. It takes the pressure off the public system. We have had an increase in 3 years of about 30% at DD's school, many coming from the private school bc we have better remedial and accelerated programs than them. But the big non religious schools - no one is going to convince me they need the funding they receive They are using those funds as the cream on the cake (as opposed to using it to stay afloat like many little catholic schools bc fees are low) to build swimming pools and huge libraries. All while public infrastructure is falling apart and teachers are paying for supplies from their own wages trying to give the kids what they need.
    Thank you! I've been trying to figure out how to say this. Big difference between the independent, catholic private schools and the massive and obvious elitist private schools. It really is an indictment that these schools receive given funding, whilst other schools, have children in portables without aircon in summer, tiny teacher budgets for supplies and old/dated technology.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well, I disagree. But even if they could scrape the money together, at what cost to the rest of the economy? Those thousands of dollars they suddenly need to come up with have to be cut out of some other area of their budget - that part of the population that can easily afford a few extra thousand dollars per year without sacrificing something else is very small.

I hope I'm not too presumptuous when I say that it seems like you see the economy through the lens of a public school advocate, but there's obviously so much more to it. For example, if the government did cut funding to private schools why do you assume it would end up in the public school coffers? Given that one is primarily funded by the federal government and the other by state, it seems highly unlikely. More likely that it would go towards some shiny new submarines

By all means, champion public schools and fight for more funding... but why is the obvious place to take it from always private schools?
    It's in the country's best interest to have a fair and equitable society, for now and the future, and to do that, there needs to be good and fair education for all, not just those who can afford private schools. There is no level playing field in education, how is that fair to our most disadvantaged?

People have said that if someone really wants to afford private school to avoid sending their child to the horrible local public school, they would do it. Perhaps wealthier people could make sacrifices in other areas of their life to continue to send their children to private schools, if that's their priority!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 20-04-2012 at 21:13.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It's in the country's best interest to have a fair and equitable society, for now and the future, and to do that, there needs to be good and fair education for all, not just those who can afford private schools. There is no level playing field in education, how is that fair to our most disadvantaged?
    So improve public schools! Why this constant need to take away from private?

You can create equality in a few ways... raising the standards of the lower, or lowering the standards of the higher. Are you honestly suggesting that the latter is preferable?

Thanks
    Reviews
    So improve public schools! Why this constant need to take away from private?

You can create equality in a few ways... raising the standards of the lower, or lowering the standards of the higher. Are you honestly suggesting that the latter is preferable?
    To close the gap in education, both need to be done. There are other countries that sacrifice to have an equitable society.

Why do you get so flustered?

Are you not willing to share?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think like me, Bigred is only against funding to the big schools. Ones that charge 10k+ a year and clearly don't need the funding.

Yes govt funding to public should be increased. Sadly I think part of the issue is public can be seen as the poor person's alternative and particularly the libs, don't want to put more funding into public when most of their voters go private. But then that's just my take on things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I asked a few pages ago how you thought about 'rich' parents using their money for private tutors to get their kids ahead. Assuming you have removed funding from those nasty elitist private schools and kids whose parents can't afford them any more move to public.

Let's take a public school in a high socioeconomic area. The first thing I would do if I were a parent would've to use my money to hire a private tutor, so my kid could get ahead. Even better, because all the other parents have money too, we can organize group tutorials so all of the kids benefit.
    Then the school down the road. Low socioeconomic, parents have no money for things like tutors or other extracurricular activities. They go on as before.
    Does that seem better to you? Do you really think that forcing kids to go to public schools will remove the advantage that rich kids have?