+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I went to private school for almost 9 years, and then government school. I don't think I have any preconceived ideas about them

If you read my post in another thread, I said I am not totally against religious schools because they are more affordable, but because of this, resources, class sizes, opportunities etc. can suffer in these schools due to limited funds.

I would not send to my child to a religious school, I've been there and do not want that for my children. I won't send them to exclusive private school because I don't believe in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    BigredV do you not believe that private schools are better or do you just disagree with the principle.

I know people who disagree with the 'inequality' of private schooling and i dont disagree that it exists, but im not going to be using my children as a way of protesting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I went to private school for almost 9 years, and then government school. I don't think I have any preconceived ideas about them

If you read my post in another thread, I said I am not totally against religious schools because they are more affordable, but because of this, resources, class sizes, opportunities etc. can suffer in these schools due to limited funds.

I would not send to my child to a religious school, I've been there and do not want that for my children. I won't send them to exclusive private school because I don't believe in it.
    So, you think that some private schools do suffer, because the goverment gives them less funding, yet you want the government to cut the funding even more to private schools, so that they do suffer even more? I'm trying to understand where you're coming from, but this does not make sense to me.

Sorry about my typos in the above post - I'm on my phone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fox View Post
    BigredV do you not believe that private schools are better or do you just disagree with the principle.

I know people who disagree with the 'inequality' of private schooling and i dont disagree that it exists, but im not going to be using my children as a way of protesting
    Both. I don't agree with them, and I don't always believe they are better. You have chosen private school, I will not, but how is it fair that you can give your child what you believe to be a better education by sending them to private school, when some people who would love to do the same, simply cannot afford to? That is what is unfair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    So, you think that some private schools do suffer, because the goverment gives them less funding, yet you want the government to cut the funding even more to private schools, so that they do suffer even more? I'm trying to understand where you're coming from, but this does not make sense to me.

Sorry about my typos in the above post - I'm on my phone
    I think funding to elitist schools definitely should be stopped, or drastically reduced.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What about low fee private schools, that do get less funding overall, invluding with parent contributions, and therefore do really struggle because the public shook students get so much more?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont think that is a fair statement to make at all. For me sending my kids to a private school was a priority, it was something that influenced our decision to have kids and how many we were going to have. This isnt the case for everyone. My parents valued education and the public school in our area just didnt cut it. They sent 4 kids to a private school, over 50k per year for all of us and this was going back 20 years ago. It was ALOT of money back then, still is today but for my parents this was a priority. The spent over 3/4 of their income on our education in those early days. (A few years later my dad expanded his business and money wasnt a problem but it certainly was in the early years)

For other people they dont put the same value on schooling and what they want their kids to get out of their schooling experience so for them they wouldnt make the sacrafices that others do to send kids to private schools.

Also 4 of my closest friends in high school were on fully paid for scholarships. Alot of other kids had both their parents working full time to send them to our school. Private schools, even the highly priced ones arent all full of rich people

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think funding to elitist schools definitely should be stopped, or drastically reduced.
    I do agree. The small catholic or steiner school I have no issue with. Often they make very little profit and they put that back into equipment. But the huge schools like Pymble, nope they don't need as much money as they receive.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    What about low fee private schools, that do get less funding overall, invluding with parent contributions, and therefore do really struggle because the public shook students get so much more?
    Low fee paying schools should remain as it is.

Public schools get more funding, which is how it should be, and based on needs of students.

Our school has already spent 80% of the resources budget for this year, buying books, pens, pencils etc. we provide everything for our students, otherwise they would have nothing. And that's not their fault.

Anyway, I have to go now, I've been on here way too much today as it's my last day if school holidays and my kids are in daycare and I need to go and pick them up

Thanks
    Reviews
    The fox, some people don't even earn 50k a year, so for them to send their kids to your school would be impossible, can't even begin to imagine what the cost would be today if it was that much 20 years ago.