+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've only read the last few pages... My apologies, will catch up later.

Many thanks to those posters attempting to address the huge amount of misinformation about government funding, one of my bugbears.

To answer the OP, there's a very important thing to recognise about wealthy people: they usually live in wealthy areas, and we know that wealthy public schools usually outperform less wealthy ones. So even those who choose their local public school are making a choice not available to everyone.

This is something I hate about the public system. At least with private I can research, question, choose. With public I get what I'm given based on the area I can afford to live in. The more I spend on real estate, the better my children's education.

Now tell me that's not elitist.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (20-04-2012),NancyBlackett  (20-04-2012),twotrunks  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I've only read the last few pages... My apologies, will catch up later.

Many thanks to those posters attempting to address the huge amount of misinformation about government funding, one of my bugbears.

To answer the OP, there's a very important thing to recognise about wealthy people: they usually live in wealthy areas, and we know that wealthy public schools usually outperform less wealthy ones. So even those who choose their local public school are making a choice not available to everyone.

This is something I hate about the public system. At least with private I can research, question, choose. With public I get what I'm given based on the area I can afford to live in. The more I spend on real estate, the better my children's education.

Now tell me that's not elitist.
    Sorry, but it's more than just real estate. How ridiculous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't think it's ridiculous at all. As I said a while back, even if everyone were at public schools, the rich kids will still all go to school together and vice versa. Purely because of real estate.
    This has a number of repercussions. Richer area= more voluntary parent funding, less disadvantaged kids= more time spent on teaching rather than making sure kids have had a proper breakfast or are actually turning up to school, teachers will preferentially want to work in the nicer areas as kids will be seen as better behaved= higher quality teachers at the more advantaged schools.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I don't think it's ridiculous at all. As I said a while back, even if everyone were at public schools, the rich kids will still all go to school together and vice versa. Purely because of real estate.
    This has a number of repercussions. Richer area= more voluntary parent funding, less disadvantaged kids= more time spent on teaching rather than making sure kids have had a proper breakfast or are actually turning up to school, teachers will preferentially want to work in the nicer areas as kids will be seen as better behaved= higher quality teachers at the more advantaged schools.
    I'm sorry but just because kids go to wealthy schools and are well off they are by far not better behaved, I have heard some horror stories come out of private schools so much so that I would never send my kids to one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kristyNluke View Post
    I'm sorry but just because kids go to wealthy schools and are well off they are by far not better behaved, I have heard some horror stories come out of private schools so much so that I would never send my kids to one.
    Yeah I knew someone would come on and say this. I said that they would be 'seen as' ie perceived as better behaved. It may not always be the case of course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kristyNluke View Post
    So so very true. Experienced it first hand

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You honestly don't realise that the public schools in North Sydney are preferable to those in the Western suburbs? Further, that this is directly related to the socio-economic status of those areas and the people who live there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    You honestly don't realise that the public schools in North Sydney are preferable to those in the Western suburbs? Further, that this is directly related to the socio-economic status of those areas and the people who live there?
    Of course, but it's a lot more complex than just real estate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course, but it's a lot more complex than just real estate.
    Erm... the public school you may send your children to is entirely dependent on your catchment area... where you live... real estate.

I'm talking about the perceived "choices" we have, and saying that if you wish to choose where your children go to school you may do so in one of two ways: 1) Pay for private school or; 2) Pay for real estate in the catchment area of your choice. If you can't afford either of these two options, almost all choice is removed.

ETA Further, in relation to the OP, it's a bit simplistic to ask "Who is wealthy but chose public schools?", because those who are wealthy most likely live in an area with good public schools anyway. We know that there are certain public schools that are so sought after that people move to the area just to attend them, and in a sense these are schools that money can't buy. Only real estate can assure you a spot.
    Last edited by lambjam; 20-04-2012 at 08:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Umm, I don't spend my teaching time making sure students have had breakfast, that's why we have a breakfast club before school. Nor do I chase up students who don't turn up to school. That is my principal's job, or the HSLO, but our attendance is over 90% average anyway.

Every school has problems, some are more hidden than others.

The only thing that will deter some teachers from disadvantaged areas is performance-based pay. There are and always will be teachers who are passionate about and dedicated to educating disadvantaged children and improving their life chances.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 20-04-2012 at 08:46.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (20-04-2012)