+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    And I disagree about class sizes. It makes a huge difference, well in primary school anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yes, but if there were no private schools, or no funding to them, there would be enough to fund them because they wouldn't be funding private schools.
    Sorry I don't understand. No they wouldn't be funding private schools but as you know the amount private schools get per child is less than if that child were at a public school. So if that child were to move to public the gov would have to come up with MORE money than in the current situation.
    My sums were about the ADDITIONAL money the gov would have to cough up if there were no private schools.
    Sorry if I'm missing something here.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (19-04-2012),Elijahs Mum  (19-04-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (20-04-2012),River Song  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, but if there were no private schools, or no funding to them, there would be enough to fund them because they wouldn't be funding private schools.
    Have you seriously not read the last lot of posts it would cost the govt TWICE as much in funding to have all students in public school if there were no private schools!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I am a private school teacher, and will be sending my children to a private school I have had enough experience in the local public schools to know that they are not providing a quality education. This being said - I have also had experience in one FANTASTIC public school, and one poor quality private school. The rest of my experience has been poor quality public schools and higher quality private schools. So, I do think it does depend on the school itself, not on whether or not it is public or private. You don't always get what you pay for.

In terms of class size, I also prefer smaller class sizes. HOWEVER, I have also seen the research that suggests that the size of the class does not really effect educational outcomes - that it is the quality of the teacher instead. I share the same opinion as other teachers on here - I have taught classes sized between 12 - 30 students, and I would definitely prefer for my child to be in a smaller class. When I had a year of only having 12 students, I had SO much 1:1 and small group time with the children - the class was almost like a 'small group' themselves, so I really see the benefit of small classes.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the original topic of this thread, but it is very unusual that a private school recieves more government funding (State and federal) than a public school, as, overall, private schools get less funding per student than public schools (I am in SA, and agree with what 4underfour said - private schools get MUCH less funding per student when you combine federal and state funding).

The only thing I can guess is that your school has less students than Pymble Ladies College? You gave the overall funding for the schools, but I looked up on the My School website that Pymble has 2124 students, so if you divide the $7,000,000 of govt. funding to how much they recieve per student, it's only just over $3,000 per student for the year. So, per student, it isn't actually a lot.

So it would make sense that if your school has, say, 500 students, and only recieved $4,100,000 in funding, then they would have recieved over $8,000 funding per student. If this was the case (I don't know - you didn't give the name of your school), your school would have received more than double the funding per student than the Pymble Ladies College.

So I don't think you can fairly make comparisons about how much funding a 'school' gets, but how much it works out to per student. You also need to look into things such as disabilities, disadvantage (which you already mentioned your school has), and ESL students - you might look at overall funding and think it is unfair that another school gets more, but they might have a high number of ESL students and students with disabilities, which would bump up their funding.
    Agree with this. I taught at a very average private school and a brilliant public school but I have to say that on the whole private schools provide a better education! This is a very general comment though! I am going to send my children to public for primary school (the ones in my area have excellent reputations) and private for high school!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Momkey For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So private education is fair, but only to those who can afford it?

Very elitist don't you think?
    I personally think that you choose to afford what you want to prioritise in your life. We are on a single income of $45k, and we are choosing when the time comes to sacrifice other things in our life for private schooling, not because we are elite and can afford it, but we CHOOSE to put it as a priority. Not that there is anything wrong with people who choose a different priority - but this is what is important for us. I drive a 25 year old car, we cannot afford hoildays, and we are on a very strict budget in every area. MANY of the parents at my private school are struggling financially, on MUCH less income than what we earn. How is that elitist? Some people have the idea that private school families are all wealthy and have money to throw at the school. Not true!

And as 4underfour has pointed out a few times to you, if the government stopped funding private schools, and all of the private school students went to public schools, the government would have to come up with the extra $$ that the private school parents currently pay because the government pays the private schools less per student than the public schools. How would they come up with the billions in funding? They would increase taxes to everyone.

Again... I fail to see how this is unfair? The government gives, on average, double per student to public schools than they do to private (as 4underfour said - the average works out to be 6k for private and 12k for public). If parents choose to send their child to a private school, they are accepting that they will pay higher fees than a public school. H

ow is it unfair to public schools that they are given DOUBLE the funding? What is your solution to the problem? Do you think private schools should be given nothing at all? Then private school would be so unattainable for everyday families, and most of the private students would move to public schools.... giving the government the problem, again, of having to fund extra to those students, which would put everyone's taxes up to pay for it.

How do you feel about private health, and govt subsidies for private health insurance? Do you also feel that all patients should be public only? Because it would present the same problem in government funding... the private sector in both health and education is vital to the govt in terms of funding. They know they cannot do without it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (19-04-2012),Hannahsmumma  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Even if I won lotto tomorrow, we would stay public. We have small class sizes, special programs for my kids, brilliant teachers, and I support the ideology of public schools. I went to private schools most of my schooling and this just MY opinion, but they really aren't better... or I'll rephrase, the ones I went to weren't. Expensive uniforms, elitist parents (again, the schools I went to, not saying all private are like that) with scores worse than the public.

I think there's bad public, good public. Bad private, good private.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm not really saying that there should be no private schools, but I do think the funding needs to be reduced to those schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I personally think that you choose to afford what you want to prioritise in your life. We are on a single income of $45k, and we are choosing when the time comes to sacrifice other things in our life for private schooling, not because we are elite and can afford it, but we CHOOSE to put it as a priority. Not that there is anything wrong with people who choose a different priority - but this is what is important for us. I drive a 25 year old car, we cannot afford hoildays, and we are on a very strict budget in every area. MANY of the parents at my private school are struggling financially, on MUCH less income than what we earn. How is that elitist? Some people have the idea that private school families are all wealthy and have money to throw at the school. Not true!

And as 4underfour has pointed out a few times to you, if the government stopped funding private schools, and all of the private school students went to public schools, the government would have to come up with the extra $$ that the private school parents currently pay because the government pays the private schools less per student than the public schools. How would they come up with the billions in funding? They would increase taxes to everyone.

Again... I fail to see how this is unfair? The government gives, on average, double per student to public schools than they do to private (as 4underfour said - the average works out to be 6k for private and 12k for public). If parents choose to send their child to a private school, they are accepting that they will pay higher fees than a public school. H

ow is it unfair to public schools that they are given DOUBLE the funding? What is your solution to the problem? Do you think private schools should be given nothing at all? Then private school would be so unattainable for everyday families, and most of the private students would move to public schools.... giving the government the problem, again, of having to fund extra to those students, which would put everyone's taxes up to pay for it.

How do you feel about private health, and govt subsidies for private health insurance? Do you also feel that all patients should be public only? Because it would present the same problem in government funding... the private sector in both health and education is vital to the govt in terms of funding. They know they cannot do without it.
    Most parents think education is a priority. And yes, I do find the attitude that "people will prioritse" a little snobbish, I guess. You said you work in a Christian school, and that your children will go to Christian school. So it is religion that is a priority for you, where for many others, it just isn't. Do you think on 45k you could afford Pymble Ladies' College? I don't think so, so for people whose priority is private education, but not religion, then many private secular schools are out if reach. And that is what is unfair.

I'm a teacher, I am a firm believer in public education. I will not send my children to private school, even though we could afford it. I think education should be fair for everyone, and it's not. If you think it is fair for everyone, perhaps go and read the Gonski Report.

I have private health because I have to at my age, not because I want it. I still had my babies in a public hospital. Do you think access to health is equitable as well? If the previous government under Howard didn't strip Medicare to almost nothing, there'd be no need for private health insurance.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 20-04-2012 at 07:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are not wealthy BUT if we were my children would still get educated in our local primary school. Education is a huge priority for me but I don't see what the private schools offer that public don't in my area that is. When I went to high school there was more fights, drugs one girl even got knocked up on a school excursion in a private school they are in no way more superior,