+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Federal government gives 2/3 of their education funding to private schools that educate only 1/3 of all students.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Federal government gives 2/3 of their education funding to private schools that educate only 1/3 of all students.
    Yes but State govt gives far more, combined together the govt's contribute far more per public school student.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneDoe View Post
    Yes but State govt gives far more, combined together the govt's contribute far more per public school student.
    And rightly so.

Education is not equitable in Australia, and that's not fair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KCT View Post
    Teacher here too and that's ridiculous!! You don't have the time to give each child what they need when classes are too big! I've taught classes of 18 and classes of 32 so I know what it's like in both situations!! Smaller class sizes far more beneficial to kids no matter how good the teacher is!!
    The article I read quoted this studyI think: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ZAYQ_blog.html
    i doesn't say class size isn't important, but that it appears much les important than previously thought

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a private school teacher, and will be sending my children to a private school I have had enough experience in the local public schools to know that they are not providing a quality education. This being said - I have also had experience in one FANTASTIC public school, and one poor quality private school. The rest of my experience has been poor quality public schools and higher quality private schools. So, I do think it does depend on the school itself, not on whether or not it is public or private. You don't always get what you pay for.

In terms of class size, I also prefer smaller class sizes. HOWEVER, I have also seen the research that suggests that the size of the class does not really effect educational outcomes - that it is the quality of the teacher instead. I share the same opinion as other teachers on here - I have taught classes sized between 12 - 30 students, and I would definitely prefer for my child to be in a smaller class. When I had a year of only having 12 students, I had SO much 1:1 and small group time with the children - the class was almost like a 'small group' themselves, so I really see the benefit of small classes.

With all the extra funding that public schools would get if it was taken from private schools, I'd bet it would be a much more level playing field.

Seriously, Pymble Ladies' College (very exclusive) received $4,000,000 from federal government and almost $3,000,000 from state government, so $7,000,000 for the year 2011.

The school I work at in one of the most disadvantaged areas of Sydney received $500,000 from federal government and $3,600,000 from state government. So $4,100,000 for the year 2011.

Do you know what my school could've done with an extra $3 million

How is it fair that this exclusive private school received nearly $3,000,000 a year more than the school I work at in very low socio-economic area?

And the parent contributions/fees/other charges was over $42,000,000 compared to my school's $90k.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the original topic of this thread, but it is very unusual that a private school recieves more government funding (State and federal) than a public school, as, overall, private schools get less funding per student than public schools (I am in SA, and agree with what 4underfour said - private schools get MUCH less funding per student when you combine federal and state funding).

The only thing I can guess is that your school has less students than Pymble Ladies College? You gave the overall funding for the schools, but I looked up on the My School website that Pymble has 2124 students, so if you divide the $7,000,000 of govt. funding to how much they recieve per student, it's only just over $3,000 per student for the year. So, per student, it isn't actually a lot.

So it would make sense that if your school has, say, 500 students, and only recieved $4,100,000 in funding, then they would have recieved over $8,000 funding per student. If this was the case (I don't know - you didn't give the name of your school), your school would have received more than double the funding per student than the Pymble Ladies College.

So I don't think you can fairly make comparisons about how much funding a 'school' gets, but how much it works out to per student. You also need to look into things such as disabilities, disadvantage (which you already mentioned your school has), and ESL students - you might look at overall funding and think it is unfair that another school gets more, but they might have a high number of ESL students and students with disabilities, which would bump up their funding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not relevant. As we have said, the overall funding per child is far more for public school children. Fair enough. But if those private children were to all go to the public school the gov would have to come up with huge amounts of extra funding. For example let's say there are 250000 kids in private schools in aus (just a number that seemed reasonable to me as I haven't been able to find the figures). Those kids get 6k funding per year. Public kids get 12k per year. If those 250k kids went to public schools the gov would have to come up with an extra 6k per kid per year. That's 6000x 250000= 1.5 billion dollars per year. Now you tell me why the gov supports private education through funding.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To add... I just looked up my Private school on My Schools website. Including state and federal govt funding, AND parent contributions, we received $8,500 per student ($6500 of which was govt funding, $2,000 and was parent contributions).

The local public primary school down the road received $9,500 per student, including state and federal govt funding, and parent contribuitions. ($8,900 of which was govt funding, $600 was parent contributions and other sources).

So, in the particular example given above, the public school receives an extra $2,400 PER STUDENT from the government than the private school down the road from it. This does reflect the average across the country, that public schools get more government funding than private schools.

I personally don't see how this is creating unequal and unfair education, as some PP have said? The public school students get more from the govt. The private school parents choose to send their children to a school where the govt funds less, but they pick up that extra funding lack themselves, by paying higher fees.

The govt HAS to fund private schools at least a little bit, even though it is less than the funding for public schools (much like with private health), if they chose not to provide any funding for private, they would have to come up with a lot more $$ for all of the extra students in the public system. We would ALL be paying more through our taxes, rather than just the private school parents paying more by choice.

Anyway.... sorry to take it off topic, but I get pedantic about misrepresented statistics!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So private education is fair, but only to those who can afford it?

Very elitist don't you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Regina thanks for that info. The info I had from our school was that public kids got an extra 6k per child.
    Let's say it's an extra 3k per child. The gov would then have to find an extra 750 million per year if those kids were at public schools.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Regina thanks for that info. The info I had from our school was that public kids got an extra 6k per child.
    Let's say it's an extra 3k per child. The gov would then have to find an extra 750 million per year if those kids were at public schools.
    Yes, but if there were no private schools, or no funding to them, there would be enough to fund them because they wouldn't be funding private schools.