+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finallyready View Post
    • Johnny slipped in the dairy this morning and didn't have a clean uniform
    • we had to see our cousins off at the airport (really?? for the entire day?)
    • birthday
    • preparation for the formal/deb ball (OMG... spray tans, hair, make-up, nails you name it they get it these days!)
    • slept in (so they take the whole day off!)
    • last day of term and Johnny says that no work is ever done on the last day
    • first day of term because no work is every done on the first day
    • family holiday (seriously! your kid is in Yr 12 and you're taking a family holiday during term!!)
    This could be a list of my MIL & SILs reasons for my niece not being in school, but you would need to add...
    • she couldn't find her shoes and we didn't want her not in full uniform (apparently a note wouldn't suffice?)
    • her sister has the day off work and wants to take her to Dream World
    • it was raining and we didn't want her getting sick by walking in the rain
    • her cousins are here on holiday for two weeks, so she will have every day that they do something interesting off... oh and every day they don't so she can entertain them

This kid is way behind in school and in remedial everything, not surprising when you see her attendance record.

If we ever had a day off school, we would spend it confined to our bedrooms with only books to entertain ourselves while we 'got better'. My kids will be the same and hopefully this will instill the same work ethic I have in them.

I doubt OP is anywhere near my SILs stage, but my point is, it's a slippery slope.

Keep in mind, while your child isn't there, the class work goes on without it and your child misses out on a chunk of work and even one day can make it hard to keep on track with it, which can lead to disinterest as well as the child not achieving to their full potential.

I know it's only Prep, but you're setting the standards for 13 years (at least) of education.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This year is my boys first year at school and his birthday was a month ago. He went to school as per normal. I dont see why kids should have a day off, i know its their birthday and its special but school is important! If anything it was good for him cause he got spoilt rotten by his teachers and peers. When he got home his father and i had a special dinner with him. He then opened his presents and had his cake, so he had a great birthday!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD2 loves that her birthday is in January so she never has to go to school, DD1 goes on her birthday(August).
    My sister doesn't send her kids on their birthdays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    This could be a list of my MIL & SILs reasons for my niece not being in school, but you would need to add...
    • she couldn't find her shoes and we didn't want her not in full uniform (apparently a note wouldn't suffice?)
    • her sister has the day off work and wants to take her to Dream World
    • it was raining and we didn't want her getting sick by walking in the rain
    • her cousins are here on holiday for two weeks, so she will have every day that they do something interesting off... oh and every day they don't so she can entertain them

This kid is way behind in school and in remedial everything, not surprising when you see her attendance record.

If we ever had a day off school, we would spend it confined to our bedrooms with only books to entertain ourselves while we 'got better'. My kids will be the same and hopefully this will instill the same work ethic I have in them.

I doubt OP is anywhere near my SILs stage, but my point is, it's a slippery slope.

Keep in mind, while your child isn't there, the class work goes on without it and your child misses out on a chunk of work and even one day can make it hard to keep on track with it, which can lead to disinterest as well as the child not achieving to their full potential.

I know it's only Prep, but you're setting the standards for 13 years (at least) of education.
    I dont agree with this at all.

My child has always had the choice to go on a birthday or not. Early primary was mostly a home day and upper was mostly a birthday at school. I left it her choice.

This child is now in high school. Poor kid has braces adjusted every 6 weeks and often has to take panadol and can not eat the next day. Her mouth is so sore she doesnt like to talk incase her teeth connect. Yet she packs panadol and liquids and goes to school- because SHE WANTS TO.

Same child had a planned 2 weeks off and before hand went to every class teacher and got the two weeks worth of work- off each and every one of them. Leading up to the time off she did the whole two weeks work and kept up with the daily homework too- because SHE WANTED TO.

Giving your primary school aged child the choice to have a birthday at home does not set them up to be a high school drop out. Not giving a hoot about their education on a daily basis will.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to my_lot For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (05-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really dont think one day off for a birthday is going to wreck there attendance for there entire life at work or even at school I had my birthdays off. And when I started work I NEVER had days off. Even if I was sick I would still go. Only thing that would stop me was if I could literally not walk without liquids coming out either end lol. Gross! lol. I think it has more to do with annual attendance and the way a parent handles that and being supportive with homework as well as school work then saying having a day off for a birthday celebration is going to cause a slippery slope. Which I do intend on being an active and supportive part of DD's education .

I beleive birthdays are really special. Not just any day. It's the day they were born. The day I became a mother. It's very special And even though she will celebrate it with family and friends (party) on the weekend I don't beleive it's the same as celebrating the actual day And I don't believe all kids only care about the presents, cake etc. DD doesn't because I always talk to her about how she was born that day. And every year on her birthday I tell her again and show her photos. And I feel by giving her the choice, if she chooses to have a family outing for her day. It actually gives her something else to be excited about other then the material things. Time with family celebrating the actual day she was born

I don't think she would get damaged by going to school on her birthday not at all. I just think it's nice to have a family outting of her choice. If thats what she wants to do. Although if she were in a school, in a class, with friends that would make a big fuss about her birthday at school then that would be pretty fun and special too thats why she will always get the choice.
    Last edited by Jensha; 05-05-2011 at 21:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    It's DS's birthday today and he went to school. he had kids surrounding him the second we stepped in the door and he was so excited to tell them all about the presents he got. I took in cupcakes in the afternoon and all the kids got so excited. I made 20 odd best friends in 2 seconds lol. he loved it.

Really it's up to you but I prefer to just treat it as business as usual with a lot of fun elements thrown in.

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a teacher at at the school I work at there are very few kids who have the day off for their birthday. Probably only 5 families out of 163 that I know of. I don't think it is a problem, except for the day the Mum let her son miss the AIM test. It is one of the most important days for her child as she was applying for a high school scholarship that needed her very bright son's test results.

ETA: a lot of kids will go pick their favourite thing for dinner that night and do something special on the weekend. Cafe after school or having a friend over are also common.
    Last edited by bellalika; 05-05-2011 at 22:08.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bellalika For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (05-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep mine have always gone untill they reach high school then I give them the choose :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have never heard of children staying home on their birthday, I just didn't know this is something that people did as a matter of course? I have been a teacher for years and this isn't something I've ever come across.

I have to admit I find it strange, this is just my opinion of course but to me it's implying that school is somehow a punishment or negative experience that they shouldn't have to endure on their birthday? I would hope that my children love going to school, and there is always the weekend to do something fun as a family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't know. I'm someone who makes a big deal out of birthdays (as we don't really do a big Christmas, Easter or other commercial celebrations) and I think if it came to it I might let my kids have their birthday off school. Not that it would ever happen with DS because he's born at the beginning of January. But with DD I probably would - although I'm reasonably sure her July birthday falls in the holidays, too.

But yeah, why not? My Mum used to let us have random sick days once or twice a year just so we could have a fun day with her. She is a teacher and I used to love that!