+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a lower primary teacher tell me once that if i kept my child out of school on their birthday she would bring it to the truancy officers attention. She said as adults we have to go to work on our birthday and i was setting a bad example allowing the day off for a birthday.

We went ahead with what my child wanted and that wasnt to spend the day at school. I wrote on the absent letter that it was for a birthday outing. I didnt hear from a truancy officer i guess they have better things to do than chase up a 6yr old who had one day off?

Our new school has a "family first" policy and i have no fear of a truancy officer being called! if my kids want to go to school on their day then they go. If they want to have a special day out on their own, on their day, then thats what we do. Its a little tricky with work commitments so they have to decide before the day and stick to it.

They have plenty of time to be adults and a short time to be children.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to my_lot For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (05-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no way my kids will take their birthdays off.

It's just a birthday. And Really all they care about is the party, cake and presents. All of which can be celebrated on a weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS1 & 2 have birthdays that fall during the holidays so it hasn't come up.

With DD I will leave it up to her.

Birthdays are a big deal in our family and it's always up to the birthday person how they want to spend it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (05-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by One of THOSE mums! View Post
    There is no way my kids will take their birthdays off.

It's just a birthday. And Really all they care about is the party, cake and presents. All of which can be celebrated on a weekend.

Not all kids.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to my_lot For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (05-05-2011)

RoarsomeMum is offline Right to speak, responsibility to listen..
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She will not have to go. I respect school and education, I also respect her right to celebrate the one day a year that is all about her!!!!!! (and she may well choose to share that with her classmates rather than me and her dad - who, every year organises in January to have her birthday AND his off work in Nov and Dec!)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RoarsomeMum For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (05-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope ds will never spend a day at school on his birthday his birthday is anzac day.. In a way im a bit sad he won't as my birthday is the 4th of jan and I never got to take cake or that for my birthday because it was to late after school went back and to early before school broke up.. It sucked this year having the extra long weekend as most the purple we new went away, lucky he only turned 2.

finallyready is offline Lead me not into temptation... I can find it all by myself!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    As a former teacher it used to irk me that parents would let their kids take days off when they weren't sick. Reasons ranged from:
    • Johnny slipped in the dairy this morning and didn't have a clean uniform
    • we had to see our cousins off at the airport (really?? for the entire day?)
    • birthday
    • preparation for the formal/deb ball (OMG... spray tans, hair, make-up, nails you name it they get it these days!)
    • slept in (so they take the whole day off!)
    • last day of term and Johnny says that no work is ever done on the last day
    • first day of term because no work is every done on the first day
    • family holiday (seriously! your kid is in Yr 12 and you're taking a family holiday during term!!)

Schools are so concerned with the issue of non-illness related absences that they started a campaign.
    http://www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/edulibr...re_parents.pdf

Personally, DH and I always go to work on our birthdays, always went to school on our birthdays and DS will do the same.

I believe that it helps develop a strong work ethic.

JMTCW

12. The Following User Says Thank You to finallyready For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (06-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    She will be going this year - her birthday is on a Monday and she is in Prep.

I will provide some party hats and cake for her classmates to share her birthday with.

I always went on my birthday. I was not damaged as a result.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd be inclined to send him - and take in a cake and party hats or something, because I'm boring! I bet when he's in school he'd rather spend it at school.

Though maybe I'd be lenient. It wouldn't depend on what I thought he'd prefer.

I'd let the teacher know in advance in case (s)he has anything specifically planned for him that day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like the idea of giving a child the day off for their birthday. I can see that it's a nice idea but it could set a precedent. I was terrible with attendance in high school so I really want my kids to have a better work ethic than I did!

But you do what you think's best for you and your child. It's not going to harm her. I agree it could be fun for her to bring cake for her class and be the birthday girl at school. My bday was always on school hols so I missed that.