+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Metformin in pregnancy

Hi all, I am 7 weeks 3 days pregnant and was taking metformin when TTC (I am not diabetic, but do have PCOS). We did a scan and saw a heartbeat, and when I asked if I should stop taking it the FS was very vague about whether to come off it or not. I have heard that it lowers miscarriage rates in PCOS patients. Anyone else had any experience with Metformin? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes my situation was exactly the same as yours and my obstetrician had me stay on it for my whole pregnancy, it can also help prevent gestational diabetes which they say with pcos you are more likely to get the gestational diabetes, which thankfully i did not get. I did get 3 opinions from different doctors about staying on the metformin and they all said to stay on it. Hope this helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to millsmum For This Useful Post:

happydance  (07-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Metformin Confusion!

Hi Millsmum thanks for your response. Did they mention to you that it reduced the risk of miscarriage or was it simply to lower chances of gestational diabetes?
    I left a message for my obstetrician (first visit is at the end of the month) and his receptionist called back saying I am to come off it. I spoke to my GP and he said I should probably come off it as its safety in pregnancy has not been proven.
    I have seen so many reports showing a lowering in miscarriage rates for people with PCOS I am so scared to come off it...!
    Has anyone out there come off it and all has been OK?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My FS advised me to keep taking it throughout the first trimester, as it reduces risk of miscarriage, so I did. I stopped at 13 weeks and everything went fine! DD is a healthy 4 month old now. My FS was one of the pioneers of method in use in PCOS (he just retired) so he knows what he's doing!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

happydance  (08-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Argh, stupid iPhone. METFORMIN use in pcos.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm subscribing. I was on metformin for pcos and was told to go off it by my gp but then obs wasn't too fussed... I went off it in the end.

I'm more interested to know when I can go back on it. Can you take it and breastfeed? Or does bub have to be completely weened?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rambino I'm not sure if it's ok during BF. I asked my OB if I could go back on it and he says he'll only prescribe it if I want to conceive again. Instead he told me to be on the pill (Yasmin) to manage the PCOS (I'm not BFing). I'm disappointed because I liked being on Metformin, I think it helped with my weight. My FS that put me on the Met has retired so I can't go to him for advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My endocrinologist has recently put me on metformin for infertility treatment. I don't have PCOS or diabetes- its pure 'witchcraft' in my case, but I'm at the point where I'll try anything! He told me when I get pregnant, I will stay on it until 12wks. Like PPs have said, there is good evidence that it reduces miscarriage rates.
    Last edited by SimpsonDesert; 09-05-2011 at 03:35. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Metformin

Great responses thanks everyone, I am so confused as it seems every Dr has a different protocol on Metformin, and I am really nervous about stopping it. I showed my DH some of the research online about Metformin and he agrees we need to talk to the Obstetrician more about it before coming off it. Also, some Drs seem to prescribe throughout the pregnancy, others will take patients off either straight after seeing a heartbeat or after 12 weeks.
    Would be great to have some consensus from Drs on this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was on metformin prior to my pregnancy (and yes it definitely helps with conception in my opinion!) and then my Endo kept me on it until 13 weeks. I went back on it after finishing b'feeding.