+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Clomid, Metformin and PCOS

Hi all, hoping to get some reassurance. TTC 12 months, accidentally diagnosed PCOS Oct 2010 (long story!). Had Op. Nov 2010 - removal of 6cm left ovary cyst, drilling right ovary and D&C, tubes checked. Gyno said should be pg in 3 months. Didn't happen. Swimmers perfect. Meant to start clomid day 5 but currently at day 40, so still waiting for day 1!! When getting clomid, pharmacist suggested metformin too. Went to GP today, they couldn't help, as metformin is "category 3". So have to call gyno tomorrow only 2 wks after last appt. Anyone out there been there, done this? Had better luck with metformin and clomid than clomid alone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I used clomid plus metformin with pcos to conceive my first baby. My gp has always prescribed the metformin but not the clomid. Good luck I hope it all goes perfecly for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingNotSoPatiently View Post
    Hi all, hoping to get some reassurance. TTC 12 months, accidentally diagnosed PCOS Oct 2010 (long story!). Had Op. Nov 2010 - removal of 6cm left ovary cyst, drilling right ovary and D&C, tubes checked. Gyno said should be pg in 3 months. Didn't happen. Swimmers perfect. Meant to start clomid day 5 but currently at day 40, so still waiting for day 1!! When getting clomid, pharmacist suggested metformin too. Went to GP today, they couldn't help, as metformin is "category 3". So have to call gyno tomorrow only 2 wks after last appt. Anyone out there been there, done this? Had better luck with metformin and clomid than clomid alone?
    I conceived first baby on metformin and clomid (I also have PCOS)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ask your fs for provera, this will bring on you af so you can start clomid on cd5.

Im currently on my 7th round of clomid, i have never had metformin. But i use the provera to bring on af cause she dont come naturally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hiya

i tried both clomid and metformin and it didnt work for me
    i also have pocs

concieved first daughter naturally still working out how
    with no periods and i dont ovulate

and i had to go to ivf to pregant again now with second

i tried everything from clomid, iui and accpunture and herbs until
    ivf finally worked for us

but clomid and metformin may help with u guys
    all the best

kaz

FunKy~Mummy is offline If ya filled me with water I would leak. Vampires I tell you they are vampires
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My FS started me on Metformin first and I had my 2 angel babies. I had not ovulated in 7 months before that. Now they have added Clomid and I am on round 4 FX we will get there soon!!
    I agree with wickednails hunny, ring your FS and get provera to get a hop along with AF!! wishing you all the very very best!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies so far. Maybe I should have jumped on here sooner - af arrived within 2 hours of my initial post! Whilst it's terrible to hear so many women are on a similar or longer journey, I have gotten some much-needed comfort and some hope that the clomid will work. Your suggestions and kind words are much needed, as I'm having a bit of a rough patch with all of this at the moment. It didn't help that I call fs this morning and asked whether clomid will still be effective after a 40 day cycle (being mindful it can only be taken so long and therefore wanting to ensure I only start if it has a chance of being effective) only to have the practice manager (not even the fs!) tell me that "everyone is different love, you've been prescribed that because you don't ovulate. Ignore the manufacturer's info brochure, just listen to the Dr". Firstly, tell me something I don't know. Gee, I didn't realise I was any different to my friends who were all pg within 3 months of ttc! And secondly, I would think the manufacturer has some idea on how their drug works and when it's most effective. But whatever.
    I've read that metformin can not only help with weight loss (which would be a bonus after going from 52kgs to 78kgs in two years) but also help regulate the cycle - which I thought may improve clomid's effectiveness even more. But GPs are completely useless (I spent 3 years being told I was eating too much and not exercising enough before eventually being diagnosed. Apparently it's quite normal to put on over 20kgs in 2 years???) and even now I know what I have, they can't help me. Just feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall!
    So will start taking the clomid in another 3 days like a good little patient, and then hope that we're good to go not long after that. Even going to start acupuncture tomorrow and hope that helps too. Fingers crossed there are GPs who can deal with pregnancy much better than they deal with PCOS...if the time comes when I need it.

P.S. Am I going insane by remembering days by their number instead of by their name? Or will this soon seem normal to me? I'm kind of new to all of this...obviously

FunKy~Mummy - all the very best to you too! I will keep my fingers crossed that things happen for you soon. Have they said how long they will keep you on the clomid for? I was told 6 months max for me - guess it's onto IVF after that...

Kaz, great to hear you have no 2 on the way, hope it's all going well so far and sending lots of good wishes your way for the next few months.

wickednails - thanks for the suggestion. Will keep this in mind if she goes hiding for too long this month.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Glad af is back on track for you and your on your way to having a bubba.

Remember we are here for you if you have any questions or just need to vent, It all gets frustrating sometimes and you will get the hang on things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,

This is my first time and i have just started clomid this will be 4th day My periods are irregular sometimes 3 - 5 months non stop It was my first time and wasnt really sure what questions to ask etc until reading and researching further after i was prescribed clomid by my fs I am wondering should there be anything else that i should be doing to help my hubby n i finally fall preggo I dont know what i should be doing after the five days i was told to take the clomid Apart from reading what people has been posting on the net
    Are there tests or meds i should also be taking duing or after my first cycle? What days would be best TTC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    =D

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls, Im back on the clomid roller coaster. Im just trying to find the up to date forum. If anyone can help would appreciate it. I have succesfully concieved my first born (1st july 2011) on clomid after a long hard road. I relied on this forum alot back then and look forward to joining again
    thanks