+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Birthday parties

How do you work out what to do for your childrens birthdays. Do you have a small or large birthday party every year.
    Or just at certain ages (1,5,10, 13,16,18,21 etc).
    I'm trying to figure out what to do for dd. She's turning 4. It will be lady beetle themed but unsure whether I want to go all out (with games, themed decorations, entertainer etc) or just have something a little smaller. Invite her friends and have a bbq with a few home made games, food and cake.

I dont want her growing up expecting so much and being ungrateful. But I want her to celebrate it with her friends too?!?! So how do you decide and what is your choices regarding birthdays and parties etc?

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS is now 7. His birthday is in July so normally its pretty foul weather which rules out a decent home party. He's had his birthdays at a different indoor playcenter every year. There has been about 20 kids each time, I really really want to have a decent home party for him, you know with the petting zoo and bouncy castle and face painting etc., but its just too expensive. those things cost $300 each and I cant spend that much on a day that will possibly get rained out.
    I asked DS what he wants this year and he was excited to try a new indoor playcenter, so we'll just go with that Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh I know what you mean about lousy weather. I thought it was fantastic having a winter baby when she was born but now it's just so difficult for what to do for birthday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is turning 6 this year. He's my only child and may never have siblings. This is part of the reason we tend to have a party every year- the only year we didn't was the year he turned 2 and even than, we still met down at the park with close friends and family. Still, I'm not entirely sure what we'll do this year- I did want to do a McDonalds party or something but we're supposed to be saving for our big trip. It's a toss up between that and a party at the park with BYO picnic. I might give him the choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never had lavash bday parties when I was young but I clearly remember the huge amount of fun I had with a few friends. My bdays where always at home, my mum made all the party food and the cake. This is one of my favourite childhood memories and I will do the same for my DD. Her 1st and 2nd bdays where at home with family and friends, just small parties. Her 3rd bday will be at home and we might invite 2 or 3 of her friends, eat traditional party food, play pin the tail on the donkey, pass the parcel and make some small lolly bags to take home!!
    I cant comprehand the amount of money ppl spend on their childrens bday parties

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With our kids they have a 'friends' party every second year and a 'family afternoon tea' the other year.

I prefer home party's when they have their friends but we are in the middle of having renovations done so last year they had their party's at the swimming pool,timezone and zagames.

Kids partys at home are great, you don't have transport food and cakes, You can decorate the house into a theme as you want.
    Some fun games ideas for your lady bug theme....

Pin the antenna on the ladybug
    Flower treasure hunt (buy some plastic flowers) then the kids can take them home
    Paint a frisbee into a ladybug and have a contest to see who can throw it the furthest
    Musical chairs
    Parce the parcel
    Get the kids to decorate plain biscuits with red icing and and choc dots and sprinkles to make lady bug biscuits
    Kids can make paper plate sunflowers (have all materials on a table ready for them)
    Make ladybug headbands for all the kids
    Make vines from paper leaves and green ******ers for decoration

You could have ladybug and flower cupcakes

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm from North America and over there it is standard to have a party every year. It doesnt have to cost a lot - even to be totally lavish and look celebrity style these days (millions of graphic artists sell whole print party packages for as little as $10 that you print that totally coordinate).

Our place isnt big enough to have enough people over for a party so we're renting a cottage that's owned by a playgroup and is only $50 for 4 hours. It is fully equipped and has all the toys for younger children and an outdoor play area as well.

I will be making most of the food myself (it's a high tea theme for food since the actual theme is little prince) but will probably buy mini quiches and puff pastry goodies just to save some time.

For me having a party every year - with my childs input (from 2yrs onwards) in theme and what they want to have there as well as a special outfit they wear is one of the ways my family has always shown children that they are valued and important and special. The day is ALL about them and no one else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do a 'family do' every year but that's grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins so still close to 20 people every year!

For ages 1,5,10,13,16,18,21 we are doing BIG parties.

DS1 turned 5 this year, he had about 20 friends plus all the family, jumping castle etc etc

From every year now he is in school he can 2-3 friends and choose an activity, movies, timezone etcetc and then the BIG ones for the significant ones.

DS2 will do the same

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Whoops- I already replied to this thread. Must be a good one!!!!

DS is my only child and it's highly likely he will only ever be my one and only. I want to enjoy this journey as much as possible as there is a big chance I will not get another opportunity so we have had birthdays for 4 of his 5 birthdays.

1st birthday- at the park with family and friends. No games, no entertainer, no jumping castles
    2nd birthday- at the park with family. Small gathering. No games, no entertainer, no jumping castles
    3rd birthday- at the wiggles play centre with friends/family kids.
    4th birthday- a ghost party at home with friends/family. Games.
    5th birthday- (best party so far) a clown party with family and friends. Games, entertainer.

It's his 6th birthday this year and I'm thinking a MacDonalds party as he hasn't had one of those and would like to. We're also on a budget and I think they are relatively cheap in comparison to other types of parties.

If I had more kids- I would more than likely do the every 2nd year thing. I thought having one every year would make him 'spoilt' (and this is the general perception amongst other parents) but my belief is that it's all in what you teach them. What they have, how much money is spent on them, how many birthday parties they have or how many holidays they go on has nothing to do with how 'spoilt' they are- that comes from what you teach them about respect for people and things.
    Last edited by SimplyMum; 24-06-2011 at 07:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    1st: Cake and coffee with close family/friends on our front porch (we had a nice rental at the time)
    2nd: Party in the park with a few kids from daycare and my family.
    3rd: Party in our backyard with daycare kids and the children from the area
    4th: Park party with daycare kids and my mum and brother
    5th: Park party with daycare kids and my mum and brother
    6th: Park party with school friends and other kids we know. A few more kids than normal because of school.
    7th: Party at the aquarium with school friends and a couple of other kids
    8th: Party at the museum with her friends and maybe my family if they can make it (that's this year)

The park parties are not expensive. I make a nice cake from the Women's Weekly book and make sandwiches then put out some olives and cheese with crackers and a pack of chips and that's about it! They had pass the parcel for the party when she was 3 & 4 with only 1 prize in the centre but haven't had games since then. I do party bags though.