+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    WOW - this is a fantastic idea. I've been given all of the well meaning advice and the dreaded books on how to put your child in a regimented routine which I understand works for some but doesn't seem good for us and I was/am struggling to find the alternatives. I have a 9 week old DS who will not settle using either CC or CIO. He screams more & more each time, turns red, chokes and screams for ages. It breaks my heart to hear it. Fortunately he sleeps really well from 9pm to about 7am with only 1 feed in that time (normally about 4am), it's the days that are tough. I felt so guilty not leaving him to self settle and cry in his cot (he's never slept in our room) especially when surrounded by others with babies who self settle perfectly.
    Our DS likes to be rocked either in our arms or in is rocker and that is the only way he will go to sleep and get decent rest for more than half an hour throughout the day. If he falls asleep in my arms then I put him down to bed and he's fine for at least 1.5 hours. If I make him self settle he screams for up to an hour, sleeps for maybe the same amount of time and wakes miserable and red eyed - poor little guy.
    My dilemma now is - do I continue with what works for us now or do I put him through the heartache of screaming himself to sleep just because the nurses and other parents suggest it? I don't think I can do that to him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you all so much for sharing your stories with us. I always knew I was more aligned with the AP philosophy and reading this thread has made me even more determined to continue with attempting to make sure my little man knows that his mummy and daddy will be there for him always. I'm so sorry that you have had these experiences and I really hope that you all can come to peace with what happened. I firmly believe that we all do the best we can with the information we have and that's what you did. (((hugs)))

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dilemma now is - do I continue with what works for us now or do I put him through the heartache of screaming himself to sleep just because the nurses and other parents suggest it? I don't think I can do that to him.
    I'm so sorry you are getting pressured to leave your bub to CIO. He is still so little, please don't stress about how is getting to sleep at this point, if he will sleep for 1.5 hours after you put him down then that is wonderful.

If the screaming feels wrong to you then you have your answer, don't do it. If rocking him and cuddling him feels right then just do it, learning that his mummy is there for him is more important than learning to 'self settle' IMO. Plenty of time for that later

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArthurDent For This Useful Post:

EmN20  (07-02-2012),Starfish30  (21-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooglekat View Post
    I'm so sorry you are getting pressured to leave your bub to CIO. He is still so little, please don't stress about how is getting to sleep at this point, if he will sleep for 1.5 hours after you put him down then that is wonderful.

If the screaming feels wrong to you then you have your answer, don't do it. If rocking him and cuddling him feels right then just do it, learning that his mummy is there for him is more important than learning to 'self settle' IMO. Plenty of time for that later
    Thanks! Today is better. I cuddle him and just as he is drifting off I'll put him in bed. He'll grizzle a little bit but I don't allow him to get to a crying stage. He's been in bed for an hour now and I feel like it's a happy medium we can maintain. CIO/CC and the SOS type books just aren't for us. Reading these threads helps me realise that we're not the only ones.
    Thanks for the hugs!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    just bumping this up incase anyone needs some support

Thanks
    Reviews
    I needed to read this today!! Was starting to contemplate cc for our 17 month old but this has reminded me why i shouldn't and 'this too shall pass'.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me too. Ive decided I would rather be up 10 times a night then leave my baby to cry. Those stories broke my heart

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing BBL!