+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry on phone and hit send too soon.

Dd is v bright but it is almost like she physically doesn't know how to be still sometimes. Hmmm...interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    On another note, I understand now why people disguise TH's name ie tiz.zy, as mentions of it seem to attract devout followers to the forum.

I am thinking of starting a thread re DS and his behaviour... he is so different from my others but I thought it was maybe just that he's a boy. Or that it's because he takes after me the most!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    I just wanted to share something that a pediatrician (at a mother baby unit) said to me once. She said she often wondered whether these kids who didn't sleep, who were alert from the start, etc, were the ones who would end up diagnosed with add, aspergers, etc. As in, maybe the non sleeping thing is the person that they are, and will always be. I noticed in another thread that a few mums with non sleepers went on to find they had a "disorder" down the track. Not to imply that all non sleepers have something else going on, but I guess may be we can extend it to realize that maybe our bubs are just wired tht way, and that only time will fix it. I know it's cold comfort to those of you going through this right now, but I have been to the depths of despair and back, and now, with four kids aged two to ten, get a decent nights sleep every night (albeit with one or two extras in the bed). There is light at the end of the tunnel.
    i have thought about this before too. DS1 was my horrible sleeper during the day and night and he has been diagnosed with ADHD. he is very bright and is such a lovely kid but he slips off his chair and has trouble focusing when he is not interesting in something. emotionally he is such a beautiful kid, i think our patience paid off with him in the long run. well, i tell myself anyway because those nights were hell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is your DS?

My brother and I have both been diagnosed with ADD. My brother was on dex for some time, I got diagnosed in my 20s and I just dno't know...

it's true that I had great great difficulties with accomplishing tasks other people find so easy (organisation, study, paying bills, all that stuff) but could stay up all night and write a brilliant essay, etc. Then not hand it in. I have manageed to overcome it all for the most part which gives me a lot of satisfaction.

I would like to know early with DS so I can help him with strategies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry i will start another thread as this is an important topic and i dont want to derail

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you so much for this thread!! our DD is 8 mths old and has always been a ok sleeper at night but only like having her day sleeps on me while sitting on couch, my friends though i was nuts and though they were helping by sugesting controlled etc in all its various forms, but my biggest issue was that i was raised by a mother that is VERY pro no cry so i was getting my self very worked up about going against the values that mum raised me by or doing what all my friends and family do. i tryed C. C. for all of a second and relised it wasnt not us at all (thank goodness DH is on my side) and have now orderd the no cry sleep books and visted the health food store for some natural sleep aids if bubs is unsettled . one of the biggest things i have come to relises is that if i am stressed out DD picks up on that . she is sleeping better already and the books arnt even here yet. to all who have been traumatically affected by C. C.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to purska For This Useful Post:

Tam-I-Am  (27-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    I just wanted to share something that a pediatrician (at a mother baby unit) said to me once. She said she often wondered whether these kids who didn't sleep, who were alert from the start, etc, were the ones who would end up diagnosed with add, aspergers, etc. As in, maybe the non sleeping thing is the person that they are, and will always be. I noticed in another thread that a few mums with non sleepers went on to find they had a "disorder" down the track. Not to imply that all non sleepers have something else going on, but I guess may be we can extend it to realize that maybe our bubs are just wired tht way, and that only time will fix it. I know it's cold comfort to those of you going through this right now, but I have been to the depths of despair and back, and now, with four kids aged two to ten, get a decent nights sleep every night (albeit with one or two extras in the bed). There is light at the end of the tunnel.

DS has been a great sleeper since 4.5 months. Slept 12-14hours up until 9 months. He then woke up 3 times a night due to separation anxiety. Yet from 14 months on he's sleeping 12 hours a night and doing a 2-3 hour nap during the day. So he's a great sleeper.
    He's currently being assessed for autism/aspergers. Early Childhood Intervention is checking his development every 2 months and will do a big assessment when he's 2. So far they have a few big concerns about his development. Not enough eye contact, no pointing, continuous biting and chewing things, etc.

Perhaps DS is the odd one out. Or maybe not all aspergers sufferers are the same. I know people say that autistic kids dont like to be touched or cuddled. I know a few autistic children who love being cuddled, including DS.

I just dont want people to think "Oh no! My child doesn't sleep well, maybe there's something really wrong"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

Mrs Nietzsche  (27-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Perhaps DS is the odd one out. Or maybe not all aspergers sufferers are the same. I know people say that autistic kids dont like to be touched or cuddled. I know a few autistic children who love being cuddled, including DS.

I just dont want people to think "Oh no! My child doesn't sleep well, maybe there's something really wrong"
    Oh absolutely mischief, and I was thinking the same thing in bed overnight. I didn't mean to imply that there was something more going on for a.l bad sleepers, or in fact at all kids with extra needs are non sleepers. Iykwim.
    I guess I was thinking that the same theory might apply to all of us, as in, kids are either "good" sleepers, or not, and if you take away all other factors (stress, food, etc) and they still don't sleep, then maybe that's just how they are. And all the crying in the world won't make them sleep. I think that the theory of cc really ignores individual variation, and that the professionals are slowly beginning to recognize this. but until mums and dads are given more support to get through it, we will still have dodgy people praying on our vulnerability, and encouraging us to do things that go against our instincts as parents.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (28-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so so much for this thread! My 6 month old DS has always been a shocking sleeper, usually up around 5 times a night, and I have been feeling pressure to control cry him. Several times in the last few days I have left him to cry himself to sleep and I just feel so awful about it. I knew it wasn't the right thing to do, but after months and months of bad sleep you just get desperate.

I have been reading this and am in tears.

So tonight I fed him, and sang and rocked him, and then put him in this cot. I smiled at him and softly patted him...and he eventually went to sleep smiling. And despite the fact he has already woken twice tonight, I feel so much better about what I'm doing. I know my son just needs me there for him, and nothing in my life is more important than doing that.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I really hope you ladies know how much of a difference you have made for me and my son.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mysurprisebaby For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (29-04-2011),OurLittleBlessing  (29-04-2011),Tam-I-Am  (28-04-2011),trishalishous  (29-04-2011)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysurprisebaby View Post
    I know my son just needs me there for him, and nothing in my life is more important than doing that.
    This is the whole of my parenting philosophy in one sentence

15. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (29-04-2011)