+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Guest Guest

Default BEST schools in Geelong?

As we're most likely moving to Geelong this year, I need to start looking at schools. We're buying so the opportunity of moving when they're school age isn't possible and I need to look at schools now. Any help would be appreciated ALOT
    Eta I'm interested in all types public, private, catholic etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Private there are a couple. The two best are The Geelong College and Geelong Grammar. Also Christian College, Kardinia International.

Catholic there are Sacred heart (girls), Matthew Flinders (girls), St Josephs (boys), Catholic Regional College (both).

As for public Hugh schools, you need yo go where you are zoned. So it depends on where you live. But if you know where you are living I can tell you about the schools.

Geelong is a beautiful city. I lived there for my high school years. My family are all still there and if I could I would move back but Df and I have built lives in melbourne now.
    I went to Gerlong College and it was fantastic. They have a wide academic program. But also very strong in sport, music, performing arts, creative arts. They have great programs to support all learning types.

Guest Guest
    Oh cool thanks for that, I keep hearing about these schools. Dh wants to send them to geelong college but I can't see us spending that much on school fees and if its worth it. Do you think it was worth it? If it really is the best school then I would sacrifice for it no problems.
    We don't actually know where we're living, I wanted to find a school first and then buy in that area, so I'm open to any suggestion and so public would be any option right now. Thanks heaps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally feel I gained slot from Geekong College. I started in year 7.
    Everyone must participate in a summer and winter sport. I played netball, athletics and rowing. Was involved in many music groups. Stage band, jazz band, concert band, symphony orchestra, concert choir. Got involved in other extra curricular activities the school offered. Debating, school plays and musicals. Different headship groups and activities.
    The school offers so much and it is up to you to encourage your child to take advantage of what the school offers.
    If you feel it is too expensive you can always start in year 10.
    The teachers are extremely generous with their time. Always available to help in free periods and lunch breaks. After school too.
    They have great acceleration programs. And support for those that take a little longer to grasp things.
    There are a great variety of families. My family certainly weren't wealthy. My dad was in the building industry. The school sets a great standard for the future. Presentation. Discipline. And being the best that you can be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    depends what you want from a school. Corio south was FANTASTIC they were the best school I have come accross in main****** schooling

Guest Guest
    I love that geelong college has all these programs and the campus looks great, I have 2 kids that will be a year apart too so everything will be X2. Corio South? Can you tell me why its fantastic? I honestly have no idea what to look for in schools, I know in high school it'll be more obvious what they're into, but for primary I'm not sure? Corio? I wasn't really looking at moving to that suburb either, everyone tells me to stay away?
    I found a house in Belmont before and its auctioned end of May (we'll be renting it out till we sell this house and move) my heart is actually set on it because it has what I want and its 7 minutes drive to GC, I was looking at primary schools in Belmont too and I think Christian College is in Belmont?
    Gees its confusing, I don't want to make the wrong move

Thanks
    Reviews
    Belmont is a great family suburb. Close to everything! Roslyn primary next to Belmont high has a great reputation. Christian college is another great school. My youngest sister chose to go there and really loved it. I can't give first hand experience but my parents were very happy with it. And much cheaper than Geelong College.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    we did not live in corio, we lived in bell park. My son has aspergers and they went above and beyond to make him comfortable and secure. They didnt even have extra funding they just did it anyway. The classrooms were great, the teachers all lovely, they also have birds the kids look after and a therapy dog
    its just such a good family oriented school. Other public schools we have experienced were nowhere near as good, which is why I now homeschool. Corio itself has a bad rep but the school was great!
    We never paid fees either, not sure it it's a vic thing but we were never ever billed and they even helped out with uniforms etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    well, it depends on what you are looking for . sport, academics, music etc?

my boys go to Kardinia International College. they are very academically driven which is exactly what we were after. i think they are rather alternative with the way they teach kids and they do an amazing job. there is a low staff turn-over which indicates that the staff are treated well there and are happy. academically they rival the more expensive schools like Geelong College and Grammar but at probably 1/3 of the cost. KIC however, doesn't have the best reputation for sport and music which we don't care about. we want want our kids to be pushed to their best academically but also we wanted the school to have a good 'culture'. the school has a huge focus on internationalism and they of course have the International Baccalaureate program which is worth looking into if you think your child will ever want to travel. the education program is recognised worldwide. http://www.ibo.org/

what i like about KIC is that you have parents from middle income and above and are very down-to-earth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    just wanted to add, KIC starts from 3yr old kinder which is where my boys started. the 3yr old kinder program is amazing, there are a few Geelong College and Grammer mums there who then take their kids to Grammar or College from prep onwards.